“Nice little hotel near the airport”

Transit Motel Airport
Ranked #55 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Cordoba, Argentina
“Nice little hotel near the airport”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Only 5 minutes from the airport, very friendly personnel at reception, Anna kindly contacted the airport for us when our car transfer didnt show up the next morning, and arranged for a taxi to pick us up and take us there.
Nice and clean room, with air con and ceiling fan. Unluckily the same friendliness wasnt shared at the restaurant, when asked about the different options on the menu the reply always was"Beef Burger!"
Ideally just for a night stay travelling somewhere else, as the name rightly goes it`s a "transit motel", but for the price is just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for bed linen!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sil183

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was arriving at the Ferry terminal in the early evening and departing first thing in the morning from the airport so this was an obvious option. The online booking was easy to process and they were suppossed to send a taxi to pick me up. That didn't happen so I made my own way there. The location is dicey- it is about 800 metres up an alley that you enter across the road from the airport. The taxi driver told me not to go out at night.
The room was not fantastic but OK for its purpose and cleanish. The bar had a suprisingly big range of drinks and the food was OK.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jlw1810
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Closest hotel to airport, which was useful for one night, with a late arrival into Dar Airport and an early departure the following morning. Reminded me of minimalist college halls of residence, or hostel accommodation, from student days.
Very basic, no frills, but tremendous value for money and conveniently close to the airport, which you could walk in 10/15 minutes along an unmade road.
Reception service was quite quick. Staff pleasant and chatty. Food in "eating area/bar" has a very limited and simple menu, took some time to be served - but served it's purpose. Air conditioning was a bonus but the mosquito net had a tiny hole - which one of the blighters found!
One tip for taxi from airport - beware of being ripped off. I was charged 20,000 Tan shillings for what the staff told me was a 7,500 fare. They were very angry that I was charged that amount and offered to organise my early morning taxi at the correct fare - very helpfiul and appreciated their honesty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ChristchurchMike
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

After flight delays in Heathrow, I lost my reservation at the Movenpick - so I was referred here. Well - All I can say is that it served it purpose, I just needed a place to crash because I couldn't get a connector to Stone Town until the next day. So for the whopping $27 - I figured why not. Well all I can say is that it was worth the $27.00, but - check out is at 10:00 AM, my tranfer to the airport wasn't picking me up until 11:00 So I was billed an additional $27.00 - beware of this - be out on time!

The rooms were horrible, but the hotel supplied me with a lovely gift of a very disgusting used comb in the bathroom, a TV that didn't work and an AC that didn't turn off. But I bought a couple vodka / Red Bulls from the bar and made the best of it. Disappointing there was no Wi-Fi or computer and you definately did not want to leave the property after dark, best option: get drunk and pass out... :)

Room Tip: Hahaha!! No such thing....
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Polo789
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Nasty and horrible. Saggy mattress that looked like it had been slept on since time immemorial. Mosquitos everywhere - and the net with holes in didn't help keep them away. Towels in the bathroom looked unwashed (as did the bedsheets - I slept, sort of - fully dressed). Bathroom generally unclean. Reception unhelpful (it took 30 minutes of me standing at reception to get the issue with air conditioning in the room sorted out - staff were busy chatting to each other most of that time)

In the morning, breakfast consisted of cereal with no milk. About the only thing going for this place is that it's close to the airport. And yes, the traffic in and out of Dar can be bad, but, if you have more than about 5 hours (I had all night) then I'd really recommend going into Dar. There are good options there in the $40 - $50 range, not so much more than the horrible Transit Motel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Charlotte P
Paris
Reviewed 23 January 2012

A very cheap and clean option for staying over very close to Dar airport. It is a basic transit hotel with everything you need for a one night stay. Reception staff were lovely. Although we waited a long time for dinner to be served. Other than that it was a good option for us with an early flight the next day. A taxi to the airport costs 5 USD and takes just 10 mins.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paris33_10
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the Transit Motel overnight before leaving to Moshi the next day. It is a very cheap accommodation (possibly the cheapest at 27$ for a room).

Ideal for transit since it is walkable distance from the DAR airport! Although we took a cab since we had a lot of equipment with us. Taxi costs 5000 TSh (About 3 USD). The roads leading to the hotel (Less than a KM from the main road) are unpaved and pretty dusty.

The rooms and attached bathrooms are clean. Mosquito nets with no holes!

We didn't have any meals here so no comments on the food.

The staff, like all Tanzanians, were really warm and helpful. I'd recommend it since it makes no sense traveling all the way to the city for a overnight stay!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends