“Cheap and effective”

Transit Motel Airport
Ranked #54 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 8 April 2013

a basic, no frills place to lay over right across the road from Julius Nyerere International Airport, rooms are clean, have a fan and AC as well as hot and cold running water, the food is reasonable and reasonably priced with a well stocked bar with cold beverages but pre-booking is essential as a number of times I have taken a chance and not been able to get a room.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-9 face away from the club down the street which can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed here for a long (10-hour) layover before flying to Kilimanjaro based on the advice of another TripAdvisor member. As another reviewer wrote: it does what it advertises to do: be close to the airport for early flights or day layovers. For $30 for the day, this was great, as they allowed me to check-in to the room early (at 9 a.m. when I arrived in Tanzania) and I was able to catch up on sleep for a few hours. It is very simple and the shower situation is a wee bit scary, but if you need to sleep or freshen up without dealing with the legendary Dar es Salaam traffic, this is a good place for that. The staff were friendly, in my room the A/C was going strong and the beds had mosquito nets. During the day, I did not hear noise from my room; I think it was room #1 (turn left into the hallway of rooms; it was at the end of the hallway.) Overall, this fit the bill exactly for what I needed in a home-base during a long layover.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank toastytravels
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Close to airport - 10 mins walk in daylight or 5 dollar taxi.
Basic but clean rooms. Comfortable bed with mosquito net.
Free wifi (ask for code)
Air con didn't really work so was difficult to sleep as so hot. Bring earplugs as outside very loud till late.
Also do day rooms for 30 dollars - better than a long wait at the airport.
Overall good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Longhaul30
Reviewed 21 February 2013

If you are in need of an overnight transit stop and don’t want to fight the traffic in/out of the city, this is the place for you. It is an easy 8 minute’s walk from the airport terminal. Just walk out of the terminal, down the airport road, and directly across the busy main road, down the lively dirt street about 200m, across the railroad tracks, and it is immediately on the left. The area is safe to walk in during daylight hours or a taxi will cost you about $5.

The rooms are very basic, but clean enough, with air conditioning and mosquito nets, and there is free Wifi. The lighting was fairly dim and I seemed to lack hot water in the shower. There seems to be a nightclub nearby so my room was thumping all night to a very loud base, causing some of my walls to vibrate – I didn’t have a very good sleep! I tried the restaurant for dinner and was surprisingly impressed. I ordered a hamburger which was reasonably good, and masala chips which are fried with cumin seed and served with a spicy tomato sauce – very tasty!

The hotel staff are friendly enough and helpful with your basic needs. For an overnight transit stop, the motel is sufficient and conveniently close to the airport – don’t expect more than very basic accommodation. For $47 per night I thought the motel was reasonable value and would stay there again during a transit stop.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Overall the place is basic but functional. I stayed here twice - once on the way out to Zanzibar and once on the way back waiting to fly to Kenya. Both rooms I was allocated were in good clean order, nothing modern or fancy but not anything I would say was out of date and in need of updating or change.

The key thing - it is about a 5 to 10min walk from exiting the airport doors, literally walk straight out of the airport (a couple of minutes), across the main road and it is located 2mins up the market street on the other side, you will find it on the left just past the rail tracks - you can get a cab if you need, but it is seriously quite close. I felt fine walking this during the day and dusk myself. Therefore for convenience re airport it is ideal for a cheap and reasonable stop over accommodation.

The food served, at least what I ordered, was quite nice actually. Again, not 5 star resort style but more like a good home cooked meal and quite filling. Internet worked fine on both occasions as well if this is a concern (free as well).

The only problem I had was on my second stay when I found the air conditioning unit could not be adjusted and had been set quite cold on 15 degrees - the lady on the front desk at night was asleep when I approached and actually fell asleep on me whilst asking for her help after initially waking her up, then just insisted I use the fan (which would just end up circulating hot air shortly, brilliant) when she realised she actually had no idea on how to fix it or how it worked - the fan only was not going to work unfortunately and I said if she cannot fix the unit I'd be grateful if I could at least get an extra sheet or blanket --- without boring you with too much detail, the lady was extremely unhelpful and actually became quite rude, refused the blanket or any form of linen, refused to let me speak to the manager to see if he/she knew of any spares that were around, or even to let me take something from one of the unused rooms. ...and when back at her desk after telling me to go away she promptly started falling asleep on me again - frankly I wonder as to her state overall for that to be happening because there was a serious lack of concentration throughout the whole discussion - NB: I was also refused the manager's name because she did not want the manager knowing about the situation (yes, she actually said that and I hope he/she reads this!!!).

It is for this reason I mark service down and sleep quality. That said... the rest of the staff were helpful and polite, and I could not write off the place just because of one obvious bad egg of a person. ...just make sure you speak to someone before nightshift if you have any problems to be safe.

Room Tip: Check the aircon to make sure you can adjust it, perhaps go for a room closer to the front, as noise...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Anthony H
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Many connecting domestic flights from Dar Es Salaam leave in the morning while major international ones arrive at the evening. We stayed here during a long transit to Arusha
- Rooms are small, but clean. Shower works and there is an in-house restaurant for a simple breakfast (toast, eggs, etc.)
- The motel is right next to the airport but walking there will require an exact map
- No aircon, only fan
- there are some resident around the place but no real shops. The nearby rail tracks house some fruit vendors.
- The area is safe but I would not recommend walking around after dark. The motel has their own fence and a guard

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MikkoOnTheRoad
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This is an ok place if you, like us, arrive early evening and have a 04:35 am flight from DAR. If it is still daylight, you can practically walk from the airport, takes max 10 minutes and is through your typical african-chaotic-village-street, but seemed fine during the day. But the hotel can arrange a 5 USD pick up from and to the hotel.

Service is non-existent. if you arrive around dinner, first order your food, then go to your room for e.g.a shower and return as it will take 1 hr to get your food. The lady at the canteen is really a character...food is very basic but all in all this place gives you exactly what you need, for the price what you pay. All at acceptable levels and definitely better than spend 8 hrs or so waiting at the airport

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple