“Basic hotel that meets a basic need”

Transit Motel Airport
Ranked #51 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Ottawa
“Basic hotel that meets a basic need”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Researched and found this hotel using trip advisor for an 8 hour layover between a late night arrival and morning departure. (We considered staying at the airport, but could not tell if the airport 'closed' such that we would be sent outside!) The rooms were basic, secure, quiet and clean. The bathroom was very basic, but clean. The front desk receptionist went out of her way to find us the biggest room available (we were a party of three) as the booking didn't specify the number of beds. The drive into the airport is through a local housing area via a dirt road. The drive in, at night, could produce anxiety for those who had not travelled and stayed in Africa previously. I would not walk to/from the hotel in the dark. The hotel had a fence, security gate and guard. We took a taxi from the airport, tipped well and booked the same taxi driver for the return to the airport. He was waiting in the hotel's driveway when we walked out the door.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bishopofthebay
TransitMotels, Manager at Transit Motel Airport, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you Bishop for taking your time to write this review. We are happy that you had a pleasant experience while staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again when you're in Dar Es Salaam

Transit Motels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
NYC
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is a bare bones hotel (it's $40, folks) with rooms that are clean and extremely basic. There's hot and cold water, a mosquito net, air conditioning, ceiling fan and a TV.

I stayed there because I arrived at 9pm one night and was flying out at 9am the next morning. It served that purpose perfectly for me. I didn't have any issues at all with noise, so perhaps some rooms are closer to the street than others. Front desk left a bit to be desired, but I was looking for conversation anyway.

I hitched a lift with a passenger headed to the Hilton(!) who kindly dropped me off. The road once you leave the airport is not sealed, which freaked me out a bit. But it all seemed much nicer in the morning and it was about a 5-minute walk to the airport. Just perfect!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank beccarito
Thank you for taking your time to write this candid review. We are happy that you had a nice stay with us and hope to see you again when you're in Dar Es Salaam

Transit Motels
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Picked this place and crossed my fingers. More than pleased. It ended up being very close to the airport, walking distance even if you'd like. Right on the road you can pick up SIM cards, cold drinks, a snack, etc. Taxis park at the end of the road and you can schedule one for your next day needs the night before. Gate opened up into a small courtyard that was very tidy and nicely gardened. Entire property is clean, staff is genial. Rooms were very clean, with a fan, a/c, and a comfy bed. Wi-fi worked just fine, and since we had an early morning start, they even prepared a very nice hot breakfast for us before the scheduled breakfast hours. There's a small bar on the premises that serves food as well, so you don't have to spend time trying to find dinner if you get in late. The beer is COLD and good! Would stay again if my travels warranted.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank blahblahblog
We are very happy to hear that you had a great time when staying with us. We are happier that you have taken your time to share your experience with other/future travelers. Thank you very much
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Nothing more than just a short stay/layover as the location is very strategic for early morning flights and you need a place to bunk. Price is acceptable in comparison to the facilities offered. WiFi is free though very slow and you have a common area to socialize with fellow travelers over a couple of drinks or friends you're travelling with. Some improvements needed including toilet facility as most of it are broken and in dire need to be fixed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is bare bones, but it offered a clean bed for one night. And that's all that mattered really. I couldn't get hot water to run. Breakfast was included, but was very basic and I had to make my own eggs. It's next to a busy street, so the noise was quite annoying late into the evening. Wifi was reliable.

As I was coming late at night, I ordered a hotel taxi to take me there, but in the daytime the following day I opted to walk. I walked to the domestic terminal, which was about a 15 minutes further away than the international terminal. Along the airport road.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2013

a basic, no frills place to lay over right across the road from Julius Nyerere International Airport, rooms are clean, have a fan and AC as well as hot and cold running water, the food is reasonable and reasonably priced with a well stocked bar with cold beverages but pre-booking is essential as a number of times I have taken a chance and not been able to get a room.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-9 face away from the club down the street which can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed here for a long (10-hour) layover before flying to Kilimanjaro based on the advice of another TripAdvisor member. As another reviewer wrote: it does what it advertises to do: be close to the airport for early flights or day layovers. For $30 for the day, this was great, as they allowed me to check-in to the room early (at 9 a.m. when I arrived in Tanzania) and I was able to catch up on sleep for a few hours. It is very simple and the shower situation is a wee bit scary, but if you need to sleep or freshen up without dealing with the legendary Dar es Salaam traffic, this is a good place for that. The staff were friendly, in my room the A/C was going strong and the beds had mosquito nets. During the day, I did not hear noise from my room; I think it was room #1 (turn left into the hallway of rooms; it was at the end of the hallway.) Overall, this fit the bill exactly for what I needed in a home-base during a long layover.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo