“Close to Airport, would never stay more than 1 night!”

Transit Motel Airport
Ranked #55 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel is literally 5 minutes from the airport, although when I arrived in the middle of the night - it took 30 minutes before the taxi that was picking me up arrived (from 5 minutes away!). I had pre-paid the 5 USD to be picked up and returned to the airport then following more, yet the taxi driver and the check-in person stated that this was never paid. Luckily I had the email confirmation showing that I did in fact already pay this fee.

Rooms were ok. Pretty clean. REALLY noisy outside. If it weren't for the airconditioning to cool me off and to drown out the noise, I likely would have been awake the entire night. It was VERY HOT and in the middle of the night, the electricity went out - which was a bit disturbing. It was not only pitch black, but it became so uncomfortably hot that I had to just lie there hoping that the airco would pop back on soon (and it luckily did!).

WiFi was available sometimes - which helped. I didn't want to stay in the bathroom long as there was an ant nest near the sink which wasn't pleasant to be around. Didn't stay long - just a quick in and out so can't say much more about other issues.

For a woman staying there alone though - I definitely didn't feel super safe...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Very close to airport so saved a trek into Dar. Rooms clean enough and had air con. Bed comfy with mosquito net. Service mostly bad - grumpy and surly as other reviews describe. Air con worked and drowned out the nearby music playing til late so sleep was also fine. Water didn't work in the morning so no shower available. Felt safe/secure. Chef missing when we arrived so food availability was limited! Distinctly average and below average in places but when you're tired you can sleep most places. Walked to airport in morning. 5 mins, very easy.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel is very close to the airport and they also offer a pick-up service for 5 USD, which is nice if you arrive at Dar airport in the middle of the night (the pick-up actually is quite expansive for a 1 minute drive..). The rooms are small and relatively clean, offer a large (though short) bed and there is (slow) WiFi available in the rooms, what made my short stay pleasant. They also offer a simple breakfast. The hotel is not so expansive which makes it a good stay for one night. However, there is a lot of noise during the night from all around (and also from inside) the hotel which makes it hard to get some rest.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Marco H
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Recently, several friends and I travelled to Mbeya, Tanzania, and we overnighted at the Transit Motel Airport in Dar es Saleem. Although the Transit Motel is close to the airport and convenient for overnighting, there is a serious security issue with their credit card processing. One of the couples traveling with me had two of their cards compromised--one I know for sure they only used to try and pay for the hotel. Unsuspectingly, I tried to run my card through their system as well, but it too failed to process. After returning to the US we both found that unauthorized charges were attempted, but, thankfully, denied; but it required that our cards be cancelled and new ones issued. My friends tried to address the issue with the hotel but they were "put off" by the CSR and never received a adequate response to their numerous inquests. Subsequently, when I was informed that my card had also been compromised, I didn't bother to contact the hotel to register a complaint--felt this forum was a more effective means to facilitate change.
I give the hotel a terrible rating only because of this factor; otherwise, the accommodations were fine and the location was convenient. The food at the on-site restaurant wasn't great, but it was adequate.
Advise: use cash to pay for your time there and don't attempt to run your credit card. If you've used a card here, consider canceling your or, at least, inform you banking institution as to possible unauthorized charges on your account. The couple I mentioned had someone trying to use their card in SE Asia, so it's just not Tanzanian charges to be on the lookout for.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
rolandi, Manager at Transit Motel Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you TJP for taking your time to write about your experience when staying with us.

We contacted your friend after receiving his mail about credit card problems. His problem (and yours too) was not on our part but on our banker's side. We forwarded the complaints to the bankers for investigation/action. The problem here is that in Africa things do not go/solved as fast as in other parts of the world. A simple problem can take ages to solve. We are still waiting for an official response from the bank!

We have been accepting payments using credit cards for more than 4 years now and we have had no problem with it. We are sorry for what happened to both of you. Hopefully we will one day get a response from our bankers

Reviewed 16 December 2013

As most others have written, the main reason to stay here is the location close to the airport. Value for money has not been great in our experience and this was no exception, but in general it was good for one night. The prices for the organized transport were fair at the time we stayed there, as taxis are horribly expensive in DAR.
My main reason to write this review is this: we booked transport from the hotel to the ferry terminal with the hotel, the driver named Remmy was very nice and had also picked us up from the bus station the day before. We told him which ferry we wanted to take and so he told us when he would pick us up so we would be in time. The next day he brought us to the ferry terminal, but not to the official office of the company we wanted. He sat us in the office of his friends where they told us we wouldn't make the ferry. They gave us tickets for the next one and tried to tell us something about a government port tax of 5 dollars per person one way. We asked our driver wether this was correct and he said "yes, yes, that is true". We confronted them, as we knew there was no such thing and suddenly it was all ok. We paid the correct price for the boat we had picked, just to find that they brought us tickets to the "flying horse" which is the worst ferry there is. In the end, the only damage done was, that we didn't get the early ferry because of the wrong pick up time, but they tried to scam us in many ways and the driver actively helped them. He should have brought us to the official big office and not to his friends to cheat us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank das_buerschle
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The transit motel was a very pleasant surprise. We used it for transit purposes only, arriving around 7:30pm and leaving at 3am to catch a flight to Istanbul. We asked for transfer to and from the airport, and it was there waiting for us both times.

The room itself was perfectly fine, with working outlets, air conditioning (totally unexpected and very welcome!), a nice powerful ceiling fan and mosquito nets. It was surprisingly quiet considering the bustling street outside, and felt very safe.

The restaurant was pretty good, with decent food and a good beer selection (although service was painfully slow, I think because they went out to get more hamburger buns).

All in all - a nice experience for a great price, and exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I arrived late at night and left early in the morning, so the room served its purpose as a sleeping accomodation. The taxi driver was at the airport when I arrived (I confirmed via email a couple times beforehand) and it was a 5 minute drive to the hotel. The room was clean, there was a fan, the water was warm. No complaints for a budget transit motel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo