“Warning: cockroaches in room”
Review of Safari Inn

Safari Inn
Ranked #51 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Airco not working reported twice no solution, mosquito nets on wall instead if ceiling making it almost unusable (your legs will touch and it gets lise very easy). Had 2 cockroaches in my room in 1 night. Bad experiences enough for me to switch to another hotel. This is my 2nd time in tanzania so i know what and what not to expect

• Stayed: May 2014
safariinntanzania, Webmaster at Safari Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2015

Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting. I’m sorry our property failed to meet your expectations. We take real pride in providing a great guest experience at a fair price and clearly let you down in some ways. I’m glad you found accommodations more to your liking elsewhere. We have changed in many ways, and I hope you will give us another chance to satisfy you soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great staff who helped us negotiate through this big city. It is not fancy and not the cleanest but good value and very safe. It is located close to the ferry terminal so we could take the ferry to Zanzibar with ease.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Was in Dar for few days and was booked in a different hotel. my very good friend arranged my pick-up from the Airport and the Chauffer suggested a cheap but cheerful budget hotel. Of course, I was a a business trip and was retuning to hotel to sleep.
Hotel is clean, rooms are clean with fan and AC if needed, includes breakfast (tea/coffee, toast, fresh juice and a banana) for extra you pay for.
Staff et all (Haj) are very friendly, hotel is in the city centre and so travelling and taxi service is very near. Rate are very reasonable.
I would recommend this hotel for a week if you are not fussed.
Average, basic facilities, no Internet WiFi !!!

Room Tip: Make sure you spray the room at night with Mosquito repellent and cover the bed with Mosquito net. L...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

If they had friendly n accommodating staff it might b ok but they don't. The staff are unfriendly non helpful n rude, they make u feel like u r inconveniently bothering them n interfering with there private life. Breakfast is included but don't bother it's a 2 dry pieces of toast with not enuf butter or jam supplied, we were on the 4th floor & guess what no elevator. Because we are not married we were only offered separate beds but when we insisted they gave us a double

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimKSydney

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sincerely sorry you had a bad experience with us. Fortunately, we’ve made many changes in the inn and the staff since your visit, and you’ll find a much better experience if you stay with us again. We’re always working to get better than ever before, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Very basic,guess what one can expect for the cheap price. For one night bearable,but don't stay longer.noisy at night.dirty moscito net.neighborhood also not the best,for girls travelling alone not ideal.english speaking staff.no ac

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting. I’m glad you found good value for your short stay. We take pride in running a safe, clean, comfortable hotel, and I apologize if we failed to meet your expectations in any way. We have changed and improved since the time of your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I spent one night here coming from the Zanzibar ferry going to the airport. First impression was that is was kind of a dump but I had expected considering the price. I made the horrible mistake to choose a room with no a/c and the heat made it almost unbearable to stay in the room. There were warning signs everywhere about having to be careful when walking outside and avoid this and that which made me feel super uncomfortable and even though it is necessary information it made me feel like not going out at all that one day. I found cockroaches and the room was semi clean but a lot of the things were broken. They don't serve any meals expect breakfast, which was beyond boring, but there is an okay restaurant 2 minutes walk from the place called Chef's pride with a broad variety of food.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank iusemybrain

Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting. I’m glad you had a decent stay with us. I’m sorry if there were issues that made your stay less than perfect for you. We strive for a great experience and may have let you down. Fortunately, we’ve made many changes and improvements since your stay, and I can say with complete confidence that we’ll do better for you next time.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

This review is from a non-a/c traveller perspective, and a comparison of another hotel close by.

Ok, I'm going to compare Safari Inn to Econo Lodge, which is right around the corner and about the same price...which is better? You decide for yourself.

Comfort Hotel is also a block away and is nice, cheaper than both by a little but doesn't include breakfast--so it's not getting compared here though I like it.

Price: to start Safari is pricy for a single or double but still a little cheaper than Econo Lodge.

Breakfast: breakfast at Safari consists of bread, coffee, and juice and you can opt to buy an egg for cheap 500TSH...the breakfast all an all is better and the serving staff are heaps friendlier. This is a huge bonus. Econo consists of the same but no juice and no option to buy anything...and probably has some of the most unfriendly disposition staff working in the kitchen/serving.

The reception staff: well, none are to rave about. All in all the reception staff at Econo Lodge are friendlier and more helpful...at Safari Inn upon a cold welcome to check in there's usually someone who vehemently rips your bag out of your hands despite your refusal to carry it up the flights of stairs. You refuse because you know he will want a tip then loiters in your room waiting. Always a bit awkward, but for non traveller tourists this may be a bonus. All a matter of perspective. The young woman who works the front desk at Safari Inn is probably the most unfriendly Tanzanian I've met...been here four months now. She always seems super put off anytime you ask for anything even when you speak with her in Kiswahili.

Rooms: Econo Lodge has the huge benefit because the majority of rooms have a balcony, and if yours doesn't look at another. Safari Inn rooms are about the same size maybe a little smaller, and generally have less ventilation which is important because Dar is hot! All places have fans in non-a/c rooms and a/c options. Safari at least provide a clean top sheet on the beds whereas Econo only has this ratty blanket that appears to have not been washed in ages.

Both are suitable. Both are overpriced, but this is Dar Es Salaam.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo