“Good location and great food!”
Review of Alexander's Hotel

Alexander's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 115 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Good location and great food!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Alexanders is probably the best place to stay if you are in Dar es Salaam for business. Location is great as it is on the peninsula not far from the town centre and close to all embassies.

Great restaurant with fantastic seafood and fresh salads! I would recommend the calamari!

There is free wireless internet, good restaurant bar, great air-condition in the rooms (if you have been to Dar before you know how important that is!)
The staff is very friendly and helpful!

Going there again and again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Great experience. Good value for money. Cosy atmosphere. Best hotel in Dar. There is a wonderful terrace with excellent wifi. Excellent pick up service in airport. No business center. You can walk to the beach in few minutes. A bit difficult to find, and book well in advance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Elsebeth44
Girona, Spain
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We arrived at Alexander's hotel after a long flight and returned several times during our three week stay in Tanzania. We found it very tasteful, small and relaxing. A lovely little pool which our children and we loved plus a spotless breakfast room and upstairs dining area with tasteful decorations. Attentive staff, interesting books to browse through, good food. The owner Gordon really made us feel welcome and at home and he was always there to help us out with things we needed or problems that came up. He especially looked after the grandmother ( 81 years old) giving her a single room to sleep in free of charge instead of a triple with the children so she could be more comfortable.He also helped us when one of our children was ill being able to recommend a nearby doctor and giving us medicine. He had a trustworthy driver who was puntual, polite and an excellent driver and who took us back and forth from the city to the hotel, to the airport and even on a longer journey. We were also invited to join in with some regular guests to enjoy a Christmas meal which we really enjoyed. A very peaceful place to return to relax in. Spotless rooms and very pleasant with good air conditioning and spacious bathrooms. A ten minute walk from the slipway area where we enjoyed sitiing by the estuary in the cafes and doing some shopping and banking. This hotel really made our trip.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Didac B
Kampala
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Alexander's Hotel for two nights and could not have been happier. It is a small, intimate hotel where all the guests sit together for breakfast and where the rooftop bar provides the perfect atmosphere to relax and enjoy a gentle evening breeze. The food is fantastic (seafood that had been caught that morning - the manager really knows his stuff and won't tolerate anything caught by blast fishing) and all the staff are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are large, airy, clean and nicely furnished and the manager is extremely accommodating. Totally safe. If you get a taxi there, make sure they know where they're going because it's so hidden away that many taxi drivers won't know where it is. I hope to return one day.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I arrived in Dar es Salaam as a first stop on a tour of several locations in Tanzania and Kenya, and en-route to a few days of Safari in the Selous. On my first night I had splurged on a stay at the rather amazing Oyster Bay Hotel - that has a website and press-cuttings that speak for themselves and has no need for any further glowing reviews from me here. However, because of a mix up in timings linked to the Eid holiday, my departure to the safari was delayed for a day, and so I needed to find a new place to stay, as my budget wouldn't extend to a second night in Oyster Bay. The staff there recommended Alexanders to me and it did truly turn out to be a wonderful little gem that I would gladly return to again and again (and indeed did come back for 2 days after my safari, before I left for Nairobi).

I currently work alot in Africa, and know how hard it can be to find good mid-range, independently owned accommodation, especially in the big urban centres. When I was there, Alexanders guests seemed to be a mixture of tourists like me, and business travellers, some of whom I gathered were using the hotel on a longer term basis whilst working in Dar, and some of whom told me they were repeat visitors. Often I don't like hotels that try to cater to both markets, but Alexanders got the balance just right. Maybe it was down to the kind of business traveller they attracted - people looking for a more personalised, laid back experience than some of the larger chain hotels, but with good facilities necessary for those needing to work, such as speedy, free wifi that worked well in both rooms and throughout the hotel and suitable restaurants/bar areas for meetings.

The hotel is located on a really quiet and peaceful street, away from the noise and hustle of the main city, and is in one of the nicer parts of town. It is very close to Slipways, the popular harbour area with a good craft market and lots of restaurants and shops. Security seemed good - with Masai Security guides at the entrance. The hotel is built around an open courtyard, with several floors of rooms looking onto a pretty pool area. As you enter there is the main indoor restaurant area, which is where a fairly decent breakfast was served each morning. This room also has a library/lounge area with a good selection of novels and 'coffee-table'-style books on safari, tanzania etc that can be browsed or borrowed by guests. It is also the location of Gordon's famed wine cellar. On the top floor is an open air 'roof-top' bar/restaurant, which was a wonderful place to eat meals, have a drink or just while away a few hours reading, surfing the web or chatting to fellow guests, if so inclined.

I stayed in two different rooms during my stays at Alexanders and both were spacious, clean and comfortable, with decent en-suite bathrooms, that had constant hot water and facilities such as TV, safe, fridge (with minibar and water) and good air conditioning, but with the option of fans if that is your preference (as is mine). However, it is important to note that the interiors of the rooms are plain and basic, so if you looking for something a bit more modern or design led, then one of the larger, (and of course more expensive) chain or boutique hotels in town would probably be more suitable

The three features of the hotel which I would say would draw me back again and again, and which are the reason for me giving this hotel such a good review are as follows:

- the excellent customer service offered by the owner Gordon and his team. Gordon took a very hands on approach to running the hotel, greeting guests on arrival and dealing with check-in/out, providing advice and generally being extremely friendly and helpful. He was able to give me lots of useful tips, and I generally found him to be an extremely interesting person to talk to, having lived a long time in Tanzania. I noticed he took the time to regularly ensure guests were happy, for example by circulating round the roof-top bar in the evenings during dinner periods to check everyone ok and and if they were inclined, to join for a chat. The restaurant, bar and housekeeping staff were also extremely efficient at their jobs and very friendly.

- the architectural design of the house, which Gordon was responsible for, including the unusual shapes of walls in some parts of the building, use of light and water to create a sense of peace and calm, and unexpected quirky features such as the aforementioned glass-roofed wine-cellar. These all added up to make this a place where I was very happy to spend quite a bit of time just hanging out for a few days (as I did on my return to the city from my safari)

- the food - which was fresh and tasty, using local ingredients in particular the seafood, and of reasonable price; and the extensive wine list - which believe me, is not something that is easy to find in Africa outside of the most expensive hotels.

Overall, this is a great little place - and I would class it as one of my favourite independently run, mid-range hotels of anywhere I've been.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Nicola51
Liverpool
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Myself (Grandma), my daughter and partner and their 11 year old twin boys found ourselves in a tranquil peaceful haven. We had three short breaks there during our month in Tanzania and each time we were so happy to return. Gordon the owner and his staff couldn't have treated us with more kindness and efficiency. The small garden and the beautiful trees were delightful as were all the furnishings and fittings in this unique little hotel. Thank you once again Gordon. E. Brotheridge

Room Tip: It depends what you want, we found everything perfectly adequate for our demands