“Great value - but a mixed bag....”

Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club
Ranked #23 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Colosseum is one of the best values for a business hotel one can find. The rooms are spacious. The buffet breakfast is fantastic (best selection of fresh tropical fruit you will find). Access to the adjacent Colosseum fitness club, especially the swimming pool, is a major plus.

On the down side, service is mixed. Hotel management would truly improve their hotel by training staff. Lack of training and experience is apparent and puts a down note on an otherwise good experience.

The bar closes very early, and with it, there is no room service for either drinks or food. The hotel is not close to restaurants or bars - unless you have a car. Internet is really unacceptable and makes it tough for the business traveller.

All could be improved if the owners/managers would just take note and put more time & effort into training. Good value, but a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms on the front facing Haille Selassie Road - it is very noisy and the windows a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club

Reviewed 22 December 2011

The Colosseum Hotel in Dar es Salaam was a pleasant surprise! Very grandeose and a little barren with high ceilings and wide corridors (which were noisy at times) it nevertheless was comfortable, clean and resonably priced.

The restaurant was good value for money and served a wide variety of well presented and tasty food and is diverse enough to cater for most tastes. Breakfasts were also good, although the service was a little slow in the mornings.

All in all a good experience, with friendly and attentive staff.

Room Tip: As this was my first visit, this is a difficult question and the only advice I can really provide is...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GoggsNairobi
GM1231, General Manager at Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Goggsnairobi,

Thank you for your positive response, and your message will be carried forward to the staff.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Great room - very spacious and clean. The staff are really helpful and will assist with any of your ad-hoc requests. I found the food good as well - had a great lamb shank! The gym is excellent - lots of machines and you don't have to wait in a queue. The pool is a bit small for a hotel, but there weren't many people swimming so it didn't get crowded. The staff were helpful in getting us a taxi, telling us about attractions we might like to visit, etc.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
GM1231, General Manager at Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Thank you for staying at Colosseum Hotel and Fitness Club on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam and for taking the time to share your review with us. We are delighted to receive such positive feedback on our staff and thank you for your comments on our facilities and food at the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you to Colosseum Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

On a four-day visit to Dar, spent two of the nights here. Location in Oyster Bay is a quiet alternative to the central city, although there is not that much beyond essentials in the vicinity. The Colosseum appears to be an independent Hotel, without a corporate feel, although staff would benefit with some closer management and a more consistent professional attitude. Rooms are big, furnishings comfortable, near to a western 4-star standard. Light blocking window treatments would have been nice though. Tv cable package geared to international tastes and internet good. Bathroom plumbing construction appears to have been improperly vented and there are bugs. Roach-type. Management may respond to this review, I would suggest instead they simply solve the insect issue. And, also ensure that batteries, the safe et.al. is in working order before checking guests into their rooms. Otherwise, its a bit of an unnecessary inconvenience. Restaurant food was very good and fairly priced. All-in-all Roman motif included, this was a good place to stay in this City. And, with the gym, for anybody who works out, staying at the Colosseum is a no-brainer. Visitor friendly. Was quoted $160 walk-in rate, asked and received 20% discount, paid in cash USD.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Paubranco

Dear Paubranco,

Thank you for staying at Colosseum Hotel on your visit to Dar es Salaam and for taking the time to share your review with us. Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures and strive to exceed all expectations. I was very disappointed to read your comments on insects; the matter has been addressed.

I sincerely hope we with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Colosseum Hotel in the near future, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Regards,

Kobus Engelbrecht

Reviewed 30 July 2011

I've stayed at the Colosseum several times and will be staying there again next month. I'd had the misfortune of trying other hotels in town before a friend recommended the Colosseum, and I was thrilled when I ended up there. The fitness center has modern equipment and enough space that you don't have to wait for a machine (or for floor space) even during the club's busiest hours. The pool is well maintained and offers a welcome respite from the heat of Dar. I have always found my rooms to be very clean, and each time I visit there are new details added to increase guests' comfort- the last time I stayed they had installed alarm clocks with iPod docking stations in the rooms. The staff are friendly and professional, and always go out of their way to help me. Chris and the team at the front desk are wonderful, always ready to help me arrange taxis, choose a location for dinner, and deal with local logistics like mobile phone cards and domestic travel arrangements. The food is good but not spectacular, and I hear the spa is heavenly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
GM1231, General Manager at Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you for staying at Colosseum Hotel on your business trip to Dar es Salaam and for taking the time to share your review with us. Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures and strive to exceed all expectations. Your message about Chris has been passed onto him and our Directors, which gave him the recognition he deserve.

I sincerely hope we with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Colosseum Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Colosseum for 10 days as he was on a business trip with his company.We stayed in one of the suites and were highly impressed, the room was very spacious and very well presented with a kitchenette and air-conditioning.We have been to Dar before and were shacked up in a tiny little room that had major repair problems even though the website showed a totaly different picture.The internet service provided in the rooms is super fast and getting your research done takes half the time it should and costs almost nothing. Colosseum is different what you see is what you get,we were really impressed

The hotel is only 30min from the airport which if you have been to Dar es Salaam is a REAL bonus as the roads are bad and the traffic is crazy.

While conducting his meetings I had some time to utilize some of the facilities on offer.I really enjoyed the Thai tea massage that was given by the most friendly lady I have ever come across.Utterly professional and very helpful.

The onsite gym is another must ,if the is one word to describe it it would be "Virgin Active", with squash courts and swimming pool and personal trainer eagar to help this is as good as it gets.

The hotel also owns the cinema in Dar,this gave us the opportunity to get away and go watch some of the lastest releases.

The food was really another plus point for this already outstanding hotel,breakfast time was calm and quiet,well presented and enjoyable.
Lunches and dinners at Ceasar's the inhouse restaurant was also GREAT.The service is outstanding and you get true value for money .The South African chef is on top of his game. I must recommend the Lamb shank with a good Cabernet Sauvignon however the entire menu is truly a step up from the rest of Dar es Salaam restaurants.

To conclude the review,we had a absolutely wonderful stay and did not get the feeling we were being ripped off once.All services provided were top class and I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Dar Es Salaam.

Great Job Team Colosseum

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
GM1231, General Manager at Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2010

Thank you for staying at Colosseum Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam and for taking the time to share your review with us. We are delighted to receive such positive feedback on our staff and thank you for your comments on our facilities at the Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you to Colosseum Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 December 2009

I stayed at the Colosseum Hotel for 7 nights on a business trip. This property is located in a clean and safe (and sort of) upscale area of the city (Oyster Bay). The hotel is a clean and the rooms are ok by Dar es Salaam standards. I was told it started as a some sort of Gymn,( which is still open as an annexe), and extended to a hotel. They have some sort of greek theme going which i was unable to connect with, but maybe thats just me.

My room was on the third floor and it was ok. Clean bedding, TV with couple channels, very squeeky bed, and a lighting system that goes off once you exi the room, (economical for the hotel, but inconvinient for the guest). They do not let you use an iron box in the room, and they will not iron or clean your clothes if you get there after laundry hours, so get ready to attend your Monday executive meeting wearing wringled clothes. Customer service is very questionable. Each time I walked to the hotel, I was 'searched' to find if I was bringing any guests with me (apparently they charge for extra guests, which is ok except by American standards, I am used to least intruisiveness for my hotel stay, (if you want to be an international hotel, you have to be sensitive to all your guests). Overall, with no other choices, its an ok place to stay, but for the price - over $150/per night, and all the 'big brother mentality '- don't iron, dont bring guests, dont ...etc, I would think twice about staying here. For what I paid, you can find more 'internationally sensitive' properties in Dar.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
GM1231, General Manager at Colosseum Hotel & Fitness Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2009

Thank you for staying at Colosseum Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam and for taking the time to share your review with us. Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards and procedures and strive to exceed all expectations. I was very disappointed to read your comments on our services; the matters were raised and will be addressed. Steam irons have been made available for guest use, and are available from reception.

I sincerely hope we with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Colosseum Hotel in the near future, Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!