“HHonors Members”

Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Lincoln, Nebraska
“HHonors Members”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I had an amazing 3 days and 2 nights at this hotel! I've been working an internship at a resort in Zanzibar for the past few months and decided I needed to get away from the island for a short while. Since I work for a Hilton at home, I was curious to see how the systems work in East Africa - considering what I've noticed over the past few months is that even the simplest of chores can be turned to incredible obstacles, due to a lack of resources or reliable contractors.
I'd read through the mixed reviews of this property before I had gone there, and was not sure what I should have expected. There was also a lack of reviews mentioning HHonors benefits, which is very important for Gold and Diamond members.
Good news for those elite status members! When I arrived and started to check in, a manager walked up to welcome me to the hotel and was happy to notify me of my complimentary upgrade to an executive suite. I was definitely excited, as I had not even expected an upgrade to begin with! Once I walked in to the room, I was thinking "Wow, this is a nice studio suite!" After a few more steps, I'd noticed the huge bathroom and that there was another room through a door on my right. I walked into the other room to discover 3 couches, another tv, a table and chairs, and another huge bathroom! I was completely stunned by how nice the room was, especially since I received it through a complimentary upgrade - simply for being loyal to Hilton!
As for the rest of the hotel, it is only 3 years old, but looks more like 3 weeks. The amount of granite throughout the property is an amazing touch, and they certainly keep it very clean and shiny.
The pool was great, with numerous, comfortable sun-furniture around it. There is also a bar that is next to the pool which is always adequately staffed and very quick. The food served at the pool is of great quality, consisting mostly of pizza and sandwiches/burgers/etc.
If you're looking for a more varied menu, you can find a huge menu filled with amazing food in the restaurant. The breakfast is also served in the hotel, which was quite an extensive buffet with different foods each day! Surprisingly, most of the foods were vegetarian friendly, as well.
If you don't want to have the buffet in the restaurant, they offer breakfast-order cards in the rooms. Simply choose your desired foods and the time you'd like the meal to be delivered and hang on the outside of your door like a do-not-disturb sign.
Regarding room service, I have never had a better experience. I ate in my room more often than anywhere else, just because it was so convenient and a great price. Oddly, the dishes that are offered in both the restaurant and for room service are usually different prices - with the room service option being the cheaper of the two. For example, fish & chips in the restaurant costs 24,000tsh, but only 18,000tsh in your room. I suppose, it depends on what atmosphere you're looking for.
Overall, I am 100% satisfied with my short experience here. So satisfied that I will be returning in a couple of weeks to stay again before I head back to the US. There are plenty of ways to keep yourself entertained, the food was amazing, and everything was always kept very clean. I'm not sure what more I could ask for!

Room Tip: The bay view rooms are definitely worth the extra $20! Great choice for HHonors members who are eli...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kajlharrison
Sven L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Harrison,

I take this opportunity to thank you for the detailed review about our beautiful hotel in Dar es Salaam. I have noticed that my earlier feedback to your review was not posted.

I believe that you truly enjoyed your stay in our beautiful Suite. In regards to the room service meals, you are right, by printing our current room service menu prices are different from our Main restaurant menu and we will be correcting the price.

We are looking forward to your visit in the near future

Yours sincerely,

Sven L.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dietikon, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The hotel doubletree by hilton oyster bay in dar es salaam (tanzania) is a good and also new hotel. It has good restaurants to eat breakfast and as well dinner. But I have also to write that there is unfortunately no beach according to the hotel. But there is a very nice pool outside of the hotel. The stuff was very kind.

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. Our well trained team eagerly awaits to serve and provide you with a truly memorable stay at our hotel.

We are not a beach resort/hotel be but we are situated on the peninsula right next to the Indian Ocean and some of our guest rooms are sea view rooms.

We look forward to hosting you soon.

Sven L.
Norway
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Staying a night and a half at Doubletree (very, very late arrival) we were upgraded to a stunning suite that outrivalled any other suite I've ever stayed in. We actually confined ourselves to the suite bedroom that seemed to do double duty as a stand-alone hotel room, as it had all the space, comfort and amenities needed for our short stay. The breakfast buffet was tremendous. The other meals that could be purchased in the restaurant or through room service were also good - but less than fantastic. The pool area was wonderful, and service was impeccable. Like all other Tanzanian hotels we stayed in, there were some brief power blackouts.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sven L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Boogie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our beautiful property. We look forward to your visit in the near future so that you can sample our barbeque buffets on fridays and saturdays by the pool area. We have a band on each of those days that play your choice of songs as you enjoy the wonderful weather and ocean breeze.

Thank you again for the support .

Yours sincely,
Great Mills, Maryland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My 10 day stay at this hotel was great. Large room, comfortable bed, safe envirornment, caring staff, clean, close to shopping center, makes you feel at home. A lot better and cheaper than one Dar hotel where I spent a month that is ranked in the top 5. No regrets at all for staying here.

Room Tip: Fifth floor seemed like is the floor to be with the Presidential Suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Sven L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Good evening,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for the positive feedback. We as a team are striving to provide five star services for our 4* property. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review about our beautiful property situated in the serene surbarb of Msasani Peninsula. We are looking forward to hosting you again . Yours sincerely Sven L.
New Orleans
Reviewed 18 July 2012

In a city as chaotic as Dar es Salaam it is nice to find a place that feels like your are miles away from it all. The rooms are nice enough and the beds comfortable. All the staff members were pretty friendly. The best thing they have is the breakfast, the spread they lay out is incredible. I had a room with a balcony that overlooked their green space and in the breeze it is like paradise. The worst part of it all is the toilet, the smell of the septic tank is pretty awful. I didn’t do much milling around but I saw a few cafes leading up to the hotel.
Overall I’d say 3.5 is pretty fair for this place- especially compared to the other places we stayed in.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Evejoli
Good evening,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. Your pointers have been noted and actioned.
We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Sincerely yours Sven L.
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I, Hiren enjoyed my stay at doubletree. It was peaceful with nice view of the sea at night. I would love to stay there again. Thank you for making it special for me i really appreciate it.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Hiren,

Sorry for the delay in reverting to your review. It was an honor to host you and your wife at our hotel. Thank you again for staying with us. Yours sincerely, Sven L.
Cape Town
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I had booked via Expedia a one night twin with terrace and view. Upon arrival there was much whispering between the check-in person (didn't get name) and reservations supervisor. I asked if there was a problem with the room and asked if the room was as requested. The answer was "yes, no problem". When we got to the room we found that it wasn't a terrace as requested at all and that the supervisor had then gone on lunch so we had to just wait for her to sort it out. My husband then went to seek out the Manager, an efficient gentleman who apologised and said that he was unable to accommodate us with what we had booked but prepared to change our room to a king with terrace and view or a $20 reduction. So we went for that. His service was faultless and he knew how to handle unhappy clients. Thanks goodness he's there to put out the flames.
The next issues were about food and wine. At the pool bar we asked what house wines were on offer and was informed that there was "red chardonnay or white chardonnay"! I think a basic education on wines wouldn't go amiss. Then asked for the samosas which were on the menu to then have a wait to be told after "the samosas are missing" and we should choose something else. That evening we order the 'tandoori chicken with cucumber raita" to be served the chicken without the raita and was offered mayo instead. So to have the main menu as Indian and to be without two main simple dishes is pretty poor.
The internet connection in the room which was an additional cost was erratic. The wake up call for 5am didn't happen.
The room was very good though. No complaints
So I'm sorry Hilton. No thumbs up for me I'm afraid. Lots of work to be done still to make it a 4*.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple