“Friendly, Relaxing, Accommodating”

Ranked #4 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
denver
“Friendly, Relaxing, Accommodating”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed there for a few days on business. It provides a great mix of leisurely offerings with a business feel. I was able to work comfortably at the hotel and enjoy my time there when not working. I never felt claustrophobic or that I had to leave the hotel. The veranda is expansive and the pool area is very inviting. Modest gym allowed for basic workouts. Food was good and lots of variety when the buffet is available. Good coffee shop/lounge area is great for quick meetings or doing a little reading. Staff is very friendly and helpful. A waiter, Okello, was especially on point each day. Room service was speedy. Cleaning personnel were thorough and punctual each day. Overall, it's a clean facility with large rooms and accommodating staff.

Room Tip: For business travelers in demand of WiFi, get a room on the front side of the hotel for a stronger c...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Judd L, Regional Director: Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Holgram
Great feedback is always welcome as it fuels the energy levels to maintain service excellence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have been in Dar for a business trip for one month and I had everything I search for a hotel on this lovely one. It is walking distance to Slipway where you can have cafe&restaurant and marketplace. You won't regret if you seek for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Ozer C
You are most welcome. The positive response shows our team is committed to striving for excellence.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was staying in Dar Es Salaam for just one night on our way to Arusha for safari. After 30 hours of traveling, I was exhausted and couldn't wait to take it easy. And I was certainly able to do that at Doubletree Hilton Oysterbay.
When I pulled up to the front, I didn't think much of the place other than that it was located in a bit of a sketchy strip of the street. I walked into the lobby and the staff at the reception were very accommodating and kind. Both the room and the bathroom were very large and clean. And the AC was relatively quiet and functioned very well to keep the room cool.
I went downstairs to have a drink to relax, and was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful view of the bay. The pool was gorgeous and clean, and the outside bar area had just as a great view topped with an excellent bar service. I enjoyed the beautiful sunset and drinks until late in the evening.
For dinner I went to the restaurant in the hotel, and had a great meal. Again the service was excellent-friendly and quick.
I wished I had another day to enjoy the pool, and next time I am in Dar Es Salaam, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Yu M
Thank you for your valued feedback. The entire team says thank you for your positive comments relating to the property, views and service. we look forward to welcoming you back.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We have been in Dar Es Salaam for several months on a business trip. The hotel and it's staff have been accommodating and professional. We feel the security is a good as it gets in Dar. Food is excellent, room service is fast and accommodating. The staff does a professional job of cleaning the room, not just hurry and get it done but real cleaning top to bottom every day. The front desk was very helpful with changes to our schedule and also with car rentals. We felt that anything we need was accomplished through the hotel and with the best options in town.

We will continue to use this hotel because of their professionalism, cleanliness and commitment to safety.

We have checked and you can pay allot more in Dar Es Salaam for allot less. Call and ask for the Guest Director. She will meet you needs.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Judd L, Regional Director: Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Dr. Porter39

Thank you for your great feedback. The entire Team says Thank you, and we look forward too welcoming you back soon. I have personally conveyed your appreciation of the Guest Relations Manager's efforts and once again thank you.
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 24 October 2013

If we had known the hotel was being renovated we would not have stayed. The noise and dust in the hotel lobby and lounge was unbearable so having coffee or a snack there was not fun. The staff did their best, but it was terrible. There was also an overwhelming smell of sewerage anywhere outside the hotel so the garden and pool area were unpleasant. There was construction just outside the pool fence so the noise, constantly gawking workers, dust etc. was awful. The staff at the pool were excellent and did their best to make guests comfortable. The air conditioner in our room did not work properly but I discovered that if I switched it on and off at the wall then it re-set itself and worked properly till it went on the blink again. Not bad enough to move rooms or complain, but needs to be sorted out. Compliments to all the staff - everyone we met were extremely attentive and welcoming.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Simon A

Our sincere apologies for any disturbance caused by the construction going on at the bottom of the pool area, we are hoping to complete this soon. It will be a great improvement to the property as a whole. Once again our apologies.
Morogoro
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We booked a last minute trip to Stone Town, Zanzibar, through Klaire, who works at Double Tree by Hilton in Dar es Salaam. This review covers our stay at Beit al Salaam as well as the superb customer service we received from Klaire (I hope I'm spelling her name correctly). My mother initiated this last minute trip. Klaire bent over backwards to accommodate my mother's request and remotely navigated us to our hotel in Zanzibar. I knew where the ferry was downtown but was unprepared for how difficult it was to actually find the right ferry. She guided us by phone and text all the way to Zanzibar intermittently keeping track of us by text until we were met by the hotel shuttle on the other side. The hotel was stunningly beautiful and fitting to Stone Town's antiquated Zanzibari architecture. As the building has been restored and its character retained, our room was breath-taking. I regret not being able to stay another night. The location couldn't be more central and was a minute's walk to the beach as well as the best shops and restaurant in Stone Town. The food was excellent and in perfect proportions. What impressed me most about Beit al Salaam was the manager's handling of my departure. My mother left before I did as she was leaving from the airport and me via ferry. I couldn't find a taxi and was down to the last minute. The manager rushed me to his car with my bags in hand and sped off to the ferry terminal Hollywood style to get me there in time. I made it literally 30 seconds before the ferry left. Thanks to him I was able to make it home in time. From beginning to end, this is one of the better trips I've had (they are many) primarily because we were so well taken care of. For those new to this area, you won't find better customer service or accommodations.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor (third by American standards), The stairs are a little on the steep si...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sheryl Q

Thank you for your wonderful review of our new property in Zanzibar. Your positive comments regarding the handling of your trip by Klare are really appreciated and this is what we strive for, making your experience a memorable one.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I would give this 5 stars, though there is a lot of upgrading happening on the property, so to be fair to other travelers who may not appreciate the occasional dust and noise, be advised. Otherwise, this place deserves all 5 stars. It all comes down to service. Extremely friendly staff who will go out of their way to assist and accommodate. Look for Okelo (rhymes with "Othello") in the coffee shop. He's very attentive and can help with any information needs. This also makes it a very business friendly environment where meetings can be held. Food is great and the facility is clean. Would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the bay for maximum pleasure
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Chauncey303

Thanks for the great feedback. Our sincere apologies for the discomfort due to the renovations but it is almost done. We are upgrading our coffee shop and bar to create a better experience for our guests. Nonetheless we are happy you enjoyed your time with us.