DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$404
US$248
Hotels.com
  • Spa
US$122
US$119
Hotel Slipway(Dar es Salaam)
US$165
US$160
US$140
Hotels.com
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$268
US$95
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Nikko Tower(Dar es Salaam)
US$99
US$95
New Africa Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$179
US$127
Agoda.com
US$146
US$128
Hotel Sapphire(Dar es Salaam)
US$108
US$161
US$132
Agoda.com
All reviewsdouble treeoysterscape town fish marketpool areamain buildingbusiness tripgreat poolenjoyed my stayrooms are spacioussea viewbreakfast buffetcomfortable stayindian oceanslipwaytanzaniadargym
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I just completed a two week stay at the Doubletree in Dar es Salaam, where my company hosted two week-long workshops. While I received excellent, friendly customer service from the majority of staff (Okilo in the coffee bar and Frank who helped with tea breaks were especially helpful) we were plagued by half the rooms losing power (and a/c) several nights, mornings with either scalding or frigid (and sometimes brown) showers, and upper management unwilling to adjust the rates for 2 of our 50+ guests due to an arbitrary online booking policy.

Again, I enjoyed the friendly smiles and attentive staff but the overall experience leaves me unlikely to be a repeat customer.

Room Tip: Insist on a room in the main building (floors 1-6) if you want to be guaranteed power.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Tonight is the 3rd sleepless night in a row in DoubleTree. After spending 2 nights in a room overlooking the backdoor of the restaurant finally I'm in a different room. There's constant humming of 65 dB with the aircon off. After the first sleepless night I was asked to wait another night to be transferred to another room. Yesterday there was a power cut lasted a few hours. The breakfast is not great, the fruit served is not always ripe, the selection is average. There's hardly any seafood on the menu which is strange considering the location. The staff is nice and helpful and the location is great. It's a shame you pay $170/night for such a disappointing service. I stayed in the Hotel Serena in downtown where they have a wide selection of fresh seafood and tons of fresh and tasty fruits. I decided to stay in DoubleTree because of its better location but now I can see it was a mistake. Despite I'm a HH member I got the worst room in the hotel, no apology, no upgrade. I really love this beautiful country and its genuinely friendly and welcoming people but if you want to have a nice time in Dar Es Salaam stay away from DoubleTree.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly attentive staff, have enjoyed many extended stays. Breakfast is always very good and the Friday night buffet by the pool is great. Okello in lobby bar makes the best cappuccino ever. Feel very comfortable and safe here. Housekeeping has always done a great job with room and laundry.
Does need a true bar in the lobby.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Judd L, Regional Director: Operations at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Derayner
Thank you for your most welcome feedback and for noticing our barrister in particular.
The lobby bar is 99% complete and has already impacted very favourably with our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here 3 times in the last year and the hotel never ceases to amaze me! Shared my bedroom with three resident cockroaches!! Bathrooms have a foul smell that seeps out of the drains at night (I have noticed this in all my previous stays at this property)!!

The room service menu was decent though - and my order came in good time. However trying to get decent service at the hotel terrace coffee shop and bar is a nightmare! Drinks took close to 30 mins (after 3 reminders...) to be served at our table.

Contrary to the F&B team at the hotel, the staff at the reception and housekeeping however were friendly and attentive. Would only stay here next time if I really had to (keeping in mind its not the cheapest option in Dar...)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kunal16

Dear Guest
we apologise for your less than satisfactory stay and have noted your concerns. All areas have been highlighted with he entire management team and I do believe that you will not have a similar experience when you next visit Dar.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Superb location by the Indian ocean with stunning views. The room was extremely spacious and extremely comfortable! The wi-fi was decent. Breakfast was amazing with fresh coconut water on the menu. I particularly enjoyed sitting on the deck puffing on the sheesh a pipe watching the sun go down! The concierge was not very helpful however. Great experience overall!

1  Thank Kumaran S

Dear Kumaran
We appreciate your valued feedback. I have requested our FO Manager to look into the Concierge Desk issues and I apologise for the negative experience. On the other hand we are pleased that your stay was overall great and look forward to welcoming you back.