“Great Location, nice comfortable quiet Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here 1x night while on Business in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This is situated in "The Peninsula" part of Dar es Salaam, north of the main downtown city center. This hotel offers business people an option for the many businesses that are setting up offices in the Peninsula area of the city. As it can take 1hr in traffic to travel from the downtown city center hotels for meetings during Monday to Friday business hours for meetings in the Peninsula area, this is a logical local hotel choice. The breakfast was fine and offered the typical assortment and selection. The rooms were large and well appointed, and this is a quiet part of greater Dar es Salaam. The hotel has a nice pool area and is situated right on the beach. The staff were very helpful. I would stay here again if I had business in the peninsula part of the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay at Doubletree by Hilton Oyster Bay, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey, your comments are a valuable part of our ongoing commitment exceed guest expectations.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our stay at the hotel was wonderful. The room are well furnished and very clean. Food was delicious with huge portions. staff were very accommodating and helpful. The view is to die for especially in the morning and sunset. I recommend to book BB n buy dinner when there as the usd3o charged is on the higher side.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, we appreciate the time you have taken to complete our online guest satisfaction survey. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was only in the hotel for an afternoon but was very impressed with the service and the high speed internet which I have not come accross anywhere else on my travels. I was particularly impressed with Oklo Musa in the coffee shop. I will be coming back if I can.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you visiting DoubleTree by Hilton OysterBay, we value the time you have taken to review our hotel and delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We do hope that we will have the pleasure to host you again in the near future, and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Beautifull hotel more hilton than double tree in high floor you have an extraordinary water view
I liked room size and view
pool and gardens are nice too
Best thing about location was dinner at the waterfront restaurant just walking distance from hotel
Best value incredible location and solid food and beverage eventhough it was very full everything was perfect

Room Tip: High floor for view
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Oyster Bay, Dar es Salaam. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back, on your next visit to Tanzania, and in the meantime take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year 2014

Best Wishes

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in the annex at the back of the hotel which is almost hermetically sealed and thus has a bad bad damp smell. But I opened the windows and it was OK. Rooms were very spacious with big bathroom. View was of the backend of the restaurant.

However, I was on a business trip paid for by the City of Johannesburg, so I did not expect a room with a sea view and we were on a conference that was located elsewhere. So as a place to stay on a business trip, so it was fine.

Wifi was free, fast and easy to connect every day. Brekkie was substantial and good quality, the pool area was great, especially on the afternoon we finished early - we chilled and had a nice pizza with local beers. Management suggested we walk to the neighboring Waterfront shopping centre for dinner, which was great.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, it was comfortable and well located for access north of Dar.

Room Tip: Take a tuk tuk trip and walk around the local shops in the hotel area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ian M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton, Oyster Bay, Dar es Salaam, we are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton on your next visit to Tanzania. we also take this opportunity to wish you a very Happy New Year

Best Wishes

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I hate giving negative reviews, especially about places that are so dear to me like Hilton. While I don't mind overlooking some small glitches like the lack of basic housekeeping essentials like turndown and wet slippery bathroom floor, which was actually very dangerous owing that my wife is six pregnant, I can't stand the hotel's dishonest and misinformation that they use to make some extra cash from their customers. It all started when I realized that they have some Christmas deals running from Dec 25th to Dec 31st that prompted me to convince my wife to celebrate our anniversary a week early than the due date so that we can use this offer. Because the deal seemed too good to be true, I decided to drop in and verify as well as book in person. The deal included room, breakfast and lunch for a lower rate than the normal rates, which I also verified during our check in. We really enjoyed our stay and we tried to make every moment count. Most of the services were up to the Hilton standards. Our only nightmare came on our check out when the bill came out and all lunches were included. At first we thought it was an oversight but it became clear that it was not when they admitted that they had misinformed us about the inclusion of lunch and that they were sorry but we must pay. What is even worse is that they had confirmed to us that lunch is included in the deal prior to our check in through three different people: reservation, check in and at the restaurant. Anyways, because we didn't want to ruin our morning we decided that we would pay but we would first like to talk to the manager on duty to express our disappointment. To our shock we were told that all the managers were on holiday and there was nobody in charge. Since I didn't want to raise my voice like one of the customers that was at the desk complaining about something else I decided to pay and leave feeling defeated and cheated. I don't know what will convince me to go back to double tree or even recommend anybody to go there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Mr. Kenyamanyara
Thank you for choosing to stay at Doubletree by Hitlon Oyster Bay for your anniversary, and that overall you enjoyed your time with us. We are disappointed that your stay was spoiled at the last moment by a mis-understanding on your room rate. I was also surprised that you stated that there was no manager was on duty, which was incorrect as according to my information, you did see Mr. Jason our On Duty Manager, and he did authorize a refund 127,000 Tsh to your account prior to your departure, which I can see was posted to your account.
Please be assured that we do appreciate your comments, and hope that you will come and stay with us again on your next visit to Dar es Salaam

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was the 2nd time we organised an international workshop at the Double Tree. The staff in this hotel is very helpful and friendly, the front office manager in particular was highly efficient. Food was good, the workshop amneities fine and the experience on the whole was pleasant.
The hotel does need prating, something that will happen soon, I was tld by the new management team. Rooms are large, but the bathrooms really need updating. As I am temporarily disabled I was acutely aware that the hotel is not really "accessible" although staff helped me find special passages to access the pool and the garden.

Room Tip: The garden rooms and generally the rooms with seaview are good value.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

It was a pleasure to host your recent conference at our hotel, and delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we did discuss some of the challenges you faced with access to various parts of the hotel and we will be looking at these issues in the year ahead. We also have plans to update some of the bathrooms during the first quarter of 2014, as part on an ongoing commitment to improve the facilities we offer to our guests.
We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Dar es Salaam, and in the mean time with you a very Happy New Year.