“Perfect for an overnight stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay
Ranked #4 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
“Perfect for an overnight stay”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here on the night of April 16th en route to Zanzibar. The hotel was quiet, the gym was a little on the small side but had all the essentials. The food was great (I'd definitely recommend the paella we ordered from the room service menu) and staff were very friendly helping us get to the room and around the hotel. The view from our room was alright but nothing special. Oyster Bay is visible from the hotel, so I'd suggest getting a room facing the shore. It was only a short overnight stay but I liked it.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the shore!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mildred O
Ian M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Dar es Salaam-Oysterbay, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments is a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are delighted that, overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoyed the paella. we hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mauritius
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent almost a week at the doubletree dar es salaam for a seminar. in the beginning it seemed great but i checked out with mixed feelings. There are both positive and negative points.

Let's start with the good ones:

1) Rasheed at the reception was great upon my check in and was always helpful - replied all questions..Restaurant staff also very helpful..

2)Food is great - i felt at home..

3) Rooms are spacious

4)Hotel is near a commercial centre and craft market

We continue with the negative points:

1)Rooms are old and need refurbishment.

2) the bathtub always clogged...and its not a good feeling when taking bath and the water isnt going. and if you are not careful with the shower curtain, u will flood the bathroom. lol

3) i stayed in the hotel for 6 days with a break in between and while checking out the first time i requested to have a specific room for my next stay (which was only 2 days away - i went for a safari). the reception assured me that it will be booked for me, I even prepayed for it. But when i returned, unfortunately i didnt get the room i wanted. this is quite irritating...So this is minus points for their promise. I could have understood if i hadnt prepayed the room.

4)the AC does a humming sound all night long

5) Since its the world cup season, they have events every night on the terrace. I have nothing against it but its extremely annoying when everyone is shouting, the sound system is on high volume and ur room is just nearby + you have an extremely early flight... I had to complain like 5 times for them to at least put the volume down.

6) worst point for last - I specially bought cookies to bring back home. Pre-ordered on the eve of my departure and paid for everything (even for their tin). My flight was very early in the morning and i collected the cookies just after checking out. My main mistake is that i didnt verify. they had packed the cookies in a small bag.. since on was just on time for my flight i just slipped the bag in my luggage. Upon arriving back home, i was a bit annoying to discover that they didnt even put my cookies in the tin as i requested and paid for!! It was supposed to be a gift for my sister and all cookied were crushed :(

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the first wing with sea view - else you get view on the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments is a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are delighted that, overall you enjoyed your stay with us, but apologize for the inconvenience caused by the lack of attention to details by our Front Office team. I also must sincerely apologize for the 'cookie'episode' if there is any way I can get a tin of cookie to you please let me know, if you are coming back this way I owe you a tin ! hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
Harare, Mashonaland East, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree (on average though!).The were rooms were good, clean, and i had an excellent view to the sea.I liked the room setup, with a working station and a rotating TV Set, in case work gets boring :).However, the Wolrd cup spoiled my nights, too much noise from the boisterous fans on the other side of the hotel where there was an outside setup! Also, conferencing facilities were extremely poor!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view overlooking the ocean!
1 Thank 1234432
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments is a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are delighted that, overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and will share your comments about our restaurant with our Executive Chef, we hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
Birmingm UK
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I am not staying at Double Tree but I have eaten in their restaurant and it was a disappointing experience. There was cutlery/glasses missing off the table and when we asked staff for more they just took it from nearby tables which rather defeats the object for the next guest! No food was topped up so for a breakfast sitting, as an example-there was no fresh fruit left.

We were given coffee that was cold, although the waiter understood this it took him far too long to bring hot coffee back to the table. The hotels best asset is their warm, cheerful staff. However I do feel that they lack training in customer service skills- that directive needs to come from the management. I suggest that they do some joint training with the staff from Sea Cliff, who have excellent customer service skills.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments is a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, and apologize for the lack of service, I was happy to have the opportunity to chat to you regarding this problem and we hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back in the future.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at double tree for a business conference and i must admit i really liked the service, the staff were friendly, the food was somewhat better than most hotels in dar es sallam and the rooms were awesome, big spacious and tastefully furnished, their gym was pretty decent too. the hotel offers an awesome view of the oyster bay, it is close to the cape town fish market where one can find nice sea food. Be warned though that when they are hosting an event over the weekend hen it can a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments are a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are delighted that, overall you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Double Tree Hilton in June.
We were visiting family in Dar, meeting business clients and conducting business as well as holidaying.
For these purposes the hotel was excellent.
Great location being sufficiently close for some great Mishkaki joints as well as Slipway and Cape town Fish Market. And it's always reassuring to be close to an AMI hospital when in Africa.
The rooms are spacious,clean and well kept. As good as any 4* business hotels in London.
The staff are probably the friendliest, most helpful and charming in the world.
The breakfasts are great, with a wide selection of fresh food that was well prepared and presented. The omelettes, bespoke made to order, were a delight. I haven't enjoyed a freshly made omelette so much since I last breakfasted on an Arnold Bennett at the Savoy in London.
Our room directly overlooked the terrace and the World Cup games were neither excessively loud nor did they interrupt our sleep, even with our windows fully open. Even my wife enjoyed the extra atmosphere the screenings of World Cup games provided. I suggest anyone who found the noise excessive stay in the Millennium at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea are playing Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or indeed any home game.
The gardens are relaxing and well kept and the pool most pleasant.
Any hotel is a compromise, (even Clariges). That said the Double Tree was excellent for a business traveller looking for a great location outside of the immediate claustrophobia of central Dar, which central Dar drives me nuts. It is close enough to everywhere one needs and has terrific views, ambience and superlative staff. Great place to relax in and explore from.
A hugely enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Bay side enjoy great views.
1 Thank Garry P
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments are a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are delighted that, overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your encouraging comments, we hope to see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Sorry, but this is not going to be a riveting review. it's a decent hotel and there's really not a lot one can say.

Pros:
Nice terrace overlooking the water
Friendly reception staff
One of the housekeeping staff worked very hard to find my missing laundry
Spacious room

Cons:
Food service (in the outside eating area) is appalling, below what one would expect
Colleagues complained about excessive noise in the back rooms
Fitness centre had a few decent running machines but don't attempt to use free weights if there's more than 1 person in there - could be dangerous!

Room Tip: Probably best to be in front part of hotel or risk being kept awake by anyone partying at the outdoo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton -Oyster Bay, your comments are a valuable part of our commitment to continually review and improve our services. We are disappointed that we did not meet all your expectations during this visit, but have taken actions regarding your comments, sadly we can do nothing about the size of the fitness centre at the current time, but hope that we will see you again and look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Dar es Salaam.