“A good choice in Dar Es Salaam”
Review of Hotel Nikko Tower

Hotel Nikko Tower
Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,598 helpful votes
“A good choice in Dar Es Salaam”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I was really quite happy with this hotel until my checkout when they tried to charge me again although I had already pre-paid on Hotels.com. Fortunately I wasn't in a hurry and was able to waste 20 minutes to explain that any payment dispute they had should be with Hotels.com and not with me, and eventually they accepted this line of argument. I am yet to bring the matter up with Hotels.com.

Apart from this I thought the hotel was great. Decent location in the downtown area, friendly and helpful staff, the room a little on the small side but very clean. Small TV, fridge, overhead fan, decent aircon unit. Free wifi throughout the hotel.

Paid $73 USD via Hotels.com

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Have just spent 10 days in this hotel and highly recommend it. The room I had was comfortable and clean. The young staff were courteous, friendly and attentive while the restaurant had a good choice (including Indian food) and was reasonably priced. The wireless is irregular and unstable but overall I had a pleasant stay and will return when in Dar es Salaam again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I made the reservation online with this hotel but my bus did not arrive until 1AM in the morning, the staff immediately made a very generous decision to let me rest in the room as soon as I am done checking and only charge me on the second night there. I extended my stay to another extra day on top of that and the staff only charge me 15% less than the online rate.
The two gentlemen working at the receptionist desk are too awesome, they helped me to get around on the back on a hired scooter at the local rate, great experience to get around town.
The location of this hotel is very close to the ferry and a busy (must see) fish market.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

If this place was cheaper it would have got higher ratings from me. My first 2 nights were ok, however on my last night i found creatures on my bed so couldnt sleep on it. the telly also didnt work but that wasnt a problem for me as im not a huge watcher, althougher some readers may find this important. the shower wasnt working properly throughout my stay. On the plus side, the staff are really nice and friendly, always saying hello and try to help you. As i said, if this was cheaper it would have been a very worthy hotel but given the cost, it just doesnt match up to places of similar price.

• Stayed April 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I've stayed at the Nikko Tower twice in the past two years for a total of 10 days. It's located in an older section of Dar es Salaam near several mosques and bustling streets filled with stores selling everything from jewelry to bicycle tires. I like this hotel primarily because of the staff, who have been very kind to me and some of my colleagues. People like Innocent try very hard to help you accomplish tasks, find transportation or learn about the area. The rooms are somewhat small but have reasonably comfortable beds, good bathrooms. The restaurant is fairly good, as is the Zebra bar on the top floor, but again, it's the staff that makes it stand out. Cons: Some of the loudspeakers for the mosques are pretty close to the rooms, so you will hear them at all hours. I'm not Muslim, but after a few days, I appreciated the beauty and ritualism of the prayer calls. The elevator also is pretty slow. Also, when some of the key staff are gone, the place does slip a little in the service department.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the street if you don't want to get blasted by nearby Mosque loudspeakers.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Had an awful experience ! Not worth what they charge, room not shaped to hotel standard. Phone wire hanging and doesn't reach to bed / desk , i had my things missing for more than 20 hours until the housekeeper came back .. Why did they remove my things from my room in the first place, while I had paid for a 2 night stay?

The services need to be bettered and the staff need to be better addressed, the owners seem to have it built with passion but the management doesn't suit rite in.

Room Tip: Dont spoil your night here. Not a comfortable place at least for the price, you can get lots better...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Opinion_20

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

London
Reviewed 13 January 2013

W stayed here for a night before flying out of Dar Es Salaam back to London. The staff were friendly enough on reception and the porter was kind enough to arrange a different room for us when the one we were given only had 2 twin beds. (instead of a double). The room says small, but clean enough. We ate at the restaurant which served fantastic and authentic Indian food at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't go here for a romantic get away, but it more than suffices for a night or 2.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple