“If you can spend a little more for someplace better, do so.”

Triniti Guest House
Ranked #37 of 125 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed here after I couldn't extend my stay any longer at the Slipway Hotel. I was trying to save money since the room was $70/night, but I stayed one day and checked out early. If you can spend even $20-30 more you can significantly "level-up" to a better hotel and I would recommend doing so. These rooms were just a few levels above camping (in my opinion), and I have stayed in plenty of rustic African guest houses. As has been mentioned before, the rooms are not very clean, the freshness of the towels is questionable, and there is no internet in the rooms and only very poor internet in the restaurant/bar. It made being a business traveler really hard, especially since I needed to dress up every day and the pathways are mostly dirt/mud. There's nowhere close to walk to and you have to take a taxi to the nearest gym (OysterBay gym, which is TSH 20,000). So all in all, unless you really only need the necessities and/or won't be in your room at all, I'd recommend elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed for a total of 10 days on and off in March 2013 during a business trip to Tanzania. I tried 2 rooms: (1) a standard one with en-suite bathroom, fan and A/C, hot water and a fridge, and (2) an upgraded one with a kitchen. The second room was a marked improvement, but is only given for longer stays (a week or more). The establishment is more of a bar with a few rooms in the same compound (6 in total I believe) than a guesthouse. The bar is very popular with the expat crowd in Dar on Friday evenings, when there is usually a live band playing very loud music until 2-3am. The breakfast is basic, but ok, and the staff is friendly. Internet doesn't work in the rooms and it didn't work in the bar area either during my stay, but when I needed to work on a Saturday a staff member gave me her personal dongle to use. There is noone at reception in the mornings and evenings, which can make check-out a bit difficult. Security staff show you to your room when you arrive if you have a booking and there is noone at reception.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank blanched_lili
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We booked two rooms months in advance. We received a boking confirmation from the owner.
We checked back again before flying to Tanzania and we received an additional booking reconfirmation from the owner.

Then all of a sudden, upon arrival, there were no rooms left for us. Of course, nobody tried to contact us per email before arrival, so we were left standing there with our luggage and no options.
Then the owner appeared, very friendly, well articulated, speaking excellent English and offered us "an adequate alternative":

"A nice, quiet appartment also belonging to Trinity, well furnished, just 5 min away by car", which we could have for a "very discounted price as a compensation".

Being polite travellers, we said ok and were driven to the appartment.

Surprise, surprise, this "so beautiful and charming place, where even the owner of Trinity used to live" turned out to be a grim, dark place at the far end of the peninsula (haha about the 5 min by car!), situated in a normal Tanzanian residential compound with iron bars on the windows and a dirt road in front of it.

I would not want to stay there for free! It felt closer to a prison than simply a bad acomodation.

The best part was however, when we were informed that the "highly discounted price which is to compensate us for the negligence of our booking" is 100 USD per night (!!!).

I was not even able to discuss this any longer.
Luckily we had internet and were able to find an alternative accomodation within 20 minutes.

The driver of Trinity at least drove us there. I guess we should be thankful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kamen_777
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed in January 2013. There were good points and less good points. I think for someone passing through, it's reasonable value for money, three blocks from the beach, with live music on Friday nights. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a fridge. The wifi works in the bar, at least sometimes. Breakfast is simple, as they say on their website: fruit, toast, cereal, a plain omlette. Although the screens are not properly fitted on the windows, with visible gaps, there were no almost mosquitos in my room.The mother and daughters who run the place are pleasant people.

Staying a longer period for work would be more of a challenge. No one in reception when I checked in, and I saw only the guard that evening. There is no explanation of how to use the phone, how people could contact me, etc. The numbers on the website are to cell phones, it seems, not to reception (which is unstaffed anyway). There is no room safe. About 90% of the floor space in my room was taken by furniture with rather hard, sharp corners, which made getting around it (to put the mosquito net down for instance) a challenge. The desk was in a corner with very little room for the chair. The TV and phone seemed to have a totem value -- they were present, but not available. Had to wear earplugs when the air conditioner was on, and since there was no ceiling fan in my room and the only windows were in the bathroom and hall, that was all the time.

I can imagine staying here again (I would bring some clear packing tape to seal the screens), but not my first choice.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter, but rooms near the bar (Victoria, Tausi) are near the wifi signal and...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Enzos1990
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Two of us stayed at this place one Friday night at the beginning of January 2013 and were extremely disappointed. To start, there was nobody at Reception to check us in when we arrived, so the poor guards had to help us out and show us to our room. After travelling for ten hours by bus, all we wanted to do was to have a shower and go to bed. However, first of all the room did not look anywhere as beautiful as advertised in the guest house’s website. More irritatingly, the towels in the room were damp, leading us to have doubts as to whether they were clean or not, and there was loud club music till past 2 am, which we obviously did not appreciate, as we were told that it would be over by midnight.

We got the impression that the managers / owners seem to be more concerned about running the restaurant / bar, which is open to people not staying at the guest house and gets really busy on a Friday night, rather than running the guest house. Personally, I don’t think the two are compatible, and should be in different locations so that guests who want to, can sleep in peace and quiet, without being disturbed by loud music.

On the plus side, the guards, restaurant / bar staff and management (when they finally surfaced the next morning when we were checking out) were friendly and helpful. I really just don’t think the place is worth the $70 (US) we paid for a double room with ensuite bathroom. I don’t even think it’s worth the $65 we were originally quoted when we booked a month in advanced. (Also more than slightly annoyed that they increased the price).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Getupandg0g0
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We stayed in Triniti 2-times 2nights on our way to countryside respecitvely to the island. Both stays were very nice. The rooms are clean and quiet (we only stayed on weeksdays, so i don't know if it will be noisy saturdays). Also the food is very delicous, even the meat is not always "very well-done" but medium if you want. The owner Jacky is a fantastic person and makes sure that you have everything you need.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed here just one night on our way through Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar, and we have no real complaints. The room itself was a little one the small side, something we think would have bothered us a little had we been there longer. But in general the room was fine - clean but nothing special.

The dinner menu was a little disappointing from a vegetarian perspective and there were no puddings (disappointing from everyone's perspective!), but they did say that they were looking to change the menu so maybe it will be better in the future. Breakfast did the job - the pancakes (be warned, if you're expecting sweet pancakes, they have onion hidden in the batter!) were very oily which was disappointing, and the milk (labelled "cold milk") was luke warm which made the cereal a little unpleasant. But otherwise the food was fairly unremarkable.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Our only real problem was with the mosquitos which plagued us through the night, including inside the net over our bed.

As a place to stop over, Triniti was great. As somewhere to stay for a while - especially given it's distance from the town centre - we'd go with somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple