“Great place”

Triniti Guest House
Ranked #40 of 130 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent two nights in Triniti, and I enjoyed the place. Rooms are spacious, with perfect AC. Beds have great matrasses, allowing a sound sleep. But the major advantage of the place is the spacious terrace, with a very cosy athmosphere during the week days - and apparantly a vibrant place to be on Friday nights.Staff is really friendly and helpful, and the owner Jacky is a tiny but great girl. My room was 60 USD a night, and this was a very reasonable price for the accommodation and quiet place. I'll be back !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Joost D

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Triniti is located in Oysterbay, one of the wealthier and calmer areas of Dar es Salaam. We were able to call this guest house our home for two weeks, while we were in DSM for a study project. The staff and owners of Triniti made us feel very welcome and tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

Even if you're not staying at Triniti I recommend you to visit their weekly party on Friday, we were able to enjoy three of them and had a great time every single time!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kfbkrebbers
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We enjoyed staying at Triniti Guest House, as it was out of the main hustle and bustle but still easily accessible by transportation. The grounds had some nice plants/trees and there were always people around cleaning. 4 of us stayed in 1 room which really bought down the price ($100.00 USD for the room), and it also had a nice attached kitchen. We had heard that it is a bit noisy on weekends, however we stayed during the week and it was really peaceful, quiet, and felt very safe. The restaurant/lounge was nice and they had a good variety of food/drinks. There was also wireless internet access in this area (not in the rooms). The AC worked very well in our room, and on our little patio we had a nice fan. I would stay there again for sure, but if you are looking for a 5 star hotel - this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kbeetham
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at the Triniti Guest House for one week and I really loved it. It is like a quiet oasis ten minutes from city center. Lots of trees and plants which gives you shadow. Very friendly staff and a place where you get value for your money. Nice and tasty menu, clean and nice, but small, rooms.
Live music on Friday nights, where lots of people gather and have fun.
Every other Wednesday they have a trivia, where teams join for a competition about knowledge in music and other areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JanErik56
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed here after I couldn't extend my stay any longer at the Slipway Hotel. I was trying to save money since the room was $70/night, but I stayed one day and checked out early. If you can spend even $20-30 more you can significantly "level-up" to a better hotel and I would recommend doing so. These rooms were just a few levels above camping (in my opinion), and I have stayed in plenty of rustic African guest houses. As has been mentioned before, the rooms are not very clean, the freshness of the towels is questionable, and there is no internet in the rooms and only very poor internet in the restaurant/bar. It made being a business traveler really hard, especially since I needed to dress up every day and the pathways are mostly dirt/mud. There's nowhere close to walk to and you have to take a taxi to the nearest gym (OysterBay gym, which is TSH 20,000). So all in all, unless you really only need the necessities and/or won't be in your room at all, I'd recommend elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed for a total of 10 days on and off in March 2013 during a business trip to Tanzania. I tried 2 rooms: (1) a standard one with en-suite bathroom, fan and A/C, hot water and a fridge, and (2) an upgraded one with a kitchen. The second room was a marked improvement, but is only given for longer stays (a week or more). The establishment is more of a bar with a few rooms in the same compound (6 in total I believe) than a guesthouse. The bar is very popular with the expat crowd in Dar on Friday evenings, when there is usually a live band playing very loud music until 2-3am. The breakfast is basic, but ok, and the staff is friendly. Internet doesn't work in the rooms and it didn't work in the bar area either during my stay, but when I needed to work on a Saturday a staff member gave me her personal dongle to use. There is noone at reception in the mornings and evenings, which can make check-out a bit difficult. Security staff show you to your room when you arrive if you have a booking and there is noone at reception.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank blanched_lili
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We booked two rooms months in advance. We received a boking confirmation from the owner.
We checked back again before flying to Tanzania and we received an additional booking reconfirmation from the owner.

Then all of a sudden, upon arrival, there were no rooms left for us. Of course, nobody tried to contact us per email before arrival, so we were left standing there with our luggage and no options.
Then the owner appeared, very friendly, well articulated, speaking excellent English and offered us "an adequate alternative":

"A nice, quiet appartment also belonging to Trinity, well furnished, just 5 min away by car", which we could have for a "very discounted price as a compensation".

Being polite travellers, we said ok and were driven to the appartment.

Surprise, surprise, this "so beautiful and charming place, where even the owner of Trinity used to live" turned out to be a grim, dark place at the far end of the peninsula (haha about the 5 min by car!), situated in a normal Tanzanian residential compound with iron bars on the windows and a dirt road in front of it.

I would not want to stay there for free! It felt closer to a prison than simply a bad acomodation.

The best part was however, when we were informed that the "highly discounted price which is to compensate us for the negligence of our booking" is 100 USD per night (!!!).

I was not even able to discuss this any longer.
Luckily we had internet and were able to find an alternative accomodation within 20 minutes.

The driver of Trinity at least drove us there. I guess we should be thankful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family