“Felt like home away from home”

Triniti Guest House
Ranked #33 of 115 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Felt like home away from home”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This was my first time traveling in Tanzania (in Africa, for that matter) and I felt so lucky to have landed at Triniti. It's a gem of a place, an urban oasis set inside a beautiful garden, with a bar, a restaurant and rooms installed in little bungalows out back. It felt like a home away front home, complete with a little tabby kitten who would curl up on my lap while I worked in the garden area.

Just to be clear, if you're looking for a 5* resort or standard hotel-chain comfort, this isn't the place for you. The rooms are quite small and lack some of the amenities of mid-range western hotels (like a hair dryer or a kettle - though you can ask to borrow some at reception). That said, they're spotless and bright, painted white with touches of color and local artwork. The beds are comfortable and the A/Cs work well.

But the best thing about Triniti is the people. From Erica the owner/manager to Caroline the breakfast chef (who will cook you eggs to order and makes the most delicious donuts from scratch), everyone is extremely warm, welcoming and helpful. They let me leave a extra bag with them while I visited other parts of the country, and arranged for it to be delivered to me on my last day. Guests are usually professionals here on business, and you're bound to meet interesting people around the communal breakfast table. And if you're feeling especially social, hang out at Triniti on Friday night, when the bar turns into the best party in Dar es Salaam (live band and DJ set). The rooms will be noisy during the Friday events (especially the single rooms out front, Victoria and Tulsi), so either bring ear plugs or be ready to party the night away!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Lorena G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at Triniti during the last part of our holiday in Tanzania. It came recommended by friends. This was the place to be once. Not any more.

Like the majority of 'innovative' business in Tanzania, things start well, get good reviews, word of mouth spreads, only for things to then go downhill within a few months or years. This guesthouse is run by three sisters. You would expect three young, well educated girls to come back to Tanzania to do something new, to do things differently. Well....not really.

Triniti will offer you exactly the same bad service you get almost anywhere in Tanzania. I have lived in Africa for 6 years, I regularly travel to remote locations across the continent for work and was hoping to get a bit of a better service in a place that does get quite a bit of tourists.

Where do I start? The rooms are tiny! Two people can barely move around the bed and fit in the bathroom. Everything is cluttered. We met one of the sisters/managers the first day, but then - I heard - she left for a family holiday abroad. And that's when the hell started.

The local staff takes a liking to switching the hot water off. Fine if you want to save electricity, or even the planet. But then switch it on!!!! I took three cold showers before I had to go and ask to keep the hot water on. But there was no one to complain to. There is never anyone at reception. One of the sisters told me (by SMS) that the receptionist was off sick. Ok and so? Can't you get someone to replace her? I communicated with one of the sisters via SMS the whole time because there was simply no one else to talk to in the guesthouse.

There was never anyone at reception the whole 5 days we were there. We ended up asking the guard everything: from booking taxis, to bringing towels, to switching on the hot water. Eventually the guard got fed up with us. And it is unacceptable that a guard is expected to be the receptionist and whatever else is at hand. He often used his own cellphone to call us a taxi, which will always come 45 minutes or 1 hour late.

After the hot water saga ended, one day we arrived at the guesthouse to find out that our room had not been cleaned! The response of one of the sisters (again, via SMS) was: you did not turn the sign: "please clean my room". The sign "do not disturb" was on all rooms when we arrived, so we didn't pay attention. But believe me, I have been staying in hotels for some 25 years now and I don't recall once having to put on a sign "please clean my room" to get the staff to...well....clean my room!!! I give it for granted that all rooms are cleaned every day! The staff saw us leave the hotel and go out and the lights and air con were off, windows closed....did they really think we locked ourselves inside our room with no light and no air (it's hot and humid in Dar Es Salaam) because we didn't want to be disturbed? We were out!

Then there is breakfast: on a good day you'll get some bread, a terrible fluorescent yellow juice (supposedly orange?), some jam and one or two fruits. Breakfast ends at 10 am but if you go to breakfast at 9.40-9.45 you'll be lucky to find a blackened peeled banana (Seriously? Who peels bananas and leave them to go black???). I've attached a picture to give an idea. The kitchen staff start cleaning out the table 20 minutes before 10 am, so if you're a late riser...tough luck. Again, this gets me livid. If you say breakfast is until 10am then there must be food for all guests until 10am!! No question asked! And it's even more pathetic when there are barely 6 guests in the whole place. Surely, you can peel a couple more bananas? Then of course, if you don't go inside the kitchen to ask for an egg, the staff will never come to you to ask you if you want some eggs. Again, just pathetic. The only day the kitchen staff came to ask me if I wanted something else was when one of the sisters/managers was there overseeing operations. Next day, it was back to no asking again.

This is a startling evidence that the staff is not trained properly and that that guesthouse simply falls apart when there is no manager on site (which is most of the time).

Then after I laid another SMS complaint with one of the sisters saying that I would not pay for no service, she told us we could have 50% discount. Fine. Then we stayed another two nights simply because we didn't have anywhere else to go and didn't want to go through the stress of packing and finding another hotel. We were on holiday after all! That very same night, we arrive in the hotel and there was no water (hot or cold) and there were no towels in our room.

That was the last straw. Again, I had to go and ask to get towels and sort out the water - this time to the barman. There was again, no one at reception. Then I saw another one of the sisters sitting at the bar chatting to friends. And then she eventually helped, only because I approached her asking her if she was one of the sisters/managers.

I am so livid at the fact that we paid 75$ for a room that was tiny and got absolutely no service. I heard that while we were there, the sisters/managers were on holiday in South Africa. Well, then I'd like to ask them: have you realised what a tourist gets for less than 75$ in South Africa? Please check a boutique guesthouse called Sweetest Guesthouses. They will blow your mind. There, for 65$ I get a beautifully, tastefully decorated huge room with top notch service. And because I'm a regular client they treat me like a queen - without me asking them for anything!

These kind of episodes make me feel really hopeless that anyone will do things differently in Tanzania, where you will get absolutely pathetic service anywhere, even if you pay 400$ a night at the Kilimanjaro Hotel.

So in short: do not stay at Triniti. It's simply not worth it. When the sisters go away on holiday, the guesthouse falls apart. Obviously, the staff have not been trained properly and the sisters simply don't care.

A huge disappointment and the worst experience in Tanzania.

Room Tip: Simply do not stay here. Rooms are tiny.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CMF_traveller

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here during October 2013 for 5 nights. I was visiting relatives in the Oyster Bay area and needed to stay near by.

In terms of quality of accommodation, it's fairly high. Each guest(s) is assigned a bungalow not too far from the main compound. Each bungalow has shower facilities, AC and access to a television. In terms of food, there's access to breakfast each morning and the on-site restaurant which serves a range of different food. Location wise, it's brilliant, Oyster Bay is generally regarded as the main affluent suburb of Dar. If looking to move about, you can easily arrange for a taxi to pick you up, or if feeling more adventurously, a local Bajaji.

In terms of issues, please be aware that if you're looking for TOTAL peace and quiet, this isn't the place. There's a party every Friday night which is good fun, however, I can appreciate this won't be to the taste of all guests. It generally goes on until the early hours, with a selection of live/local/popular music in rotation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I spent two nights in Triniti, and I enjoyed the place. Rooms are spacious, with perfect AC. Beds have great matrasses, allowing a sound sleep. But the major advantage of the place is the spacious terrace, with a very cosy athmosphere during the week days - and apparantly a vibrant place to be on Friday nights.Staff is really friendly and helpful, and the owner Jacky is a tiny but great girl. My room was 60 USD a night, and this was a very reasonable price for the accommodation and quiet place. I'll be back !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joost D
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Triniti is located in Oysterbay, one of the wealthier and calmer areas of Dar es Salaam. We were able to call this guest house our home for two weeks, while we were in DSM for a study project. The staff and owners of Triniti made us feel very welcome and tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

Even if you're not staying at Triniti I recommend you to visit their weekly party on Friday, we were able to enjoy three of them and had a great time every single time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kfbkrebbers
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We enjoyed staying at Triniti Guest House, as it was out of the main hustle and bustle but still easily accessible by transportation. The grounds had some nice plants/trees and there were always people around cleaning. 4 of us stayed in 1 room which really bought down the price ($100.00 USD for the room), and it also had a nice attached kitchen. We had heard that it is a bit noisy on weekends, however we stayed during the week and it was really peaceful, quiet, and felt very safe. The restaurant/lounge was nice and they had a good variety of food/drinks. There was also wireless internet access in this area (not in the rooms). The AC worked very well in our room, and on our little patio we had a nice fan. I would stay there again for sure, but if you are looking for a 5 star hotel - this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kbeetham
Lulea, Sweden
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at the Triniti Guest House for one week and I really loved it. It is like a quiet oasis ten minutes from city center. Lots of trees and plants which gives you shadow. Very friendly staff and a place where you get value for your money. Nice and tasty menu, clean and nice, but small, rooms.
Live music on Friday nights, where lots of people gather and have fun.
Every other Wednesday they have a trivia, where teams join for a competition about knowledge in music and other areas.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo