“1 Night Stay”

Ranked #46 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“1 Night Stay”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Got off the plane and booked a Safari with a guy from the airport. He suggested this hotel, assumed that he got a kick back from us staying there. Room price was 55USD, the room was a matchbox and the shower was horrible. Not worth the money especially considering the location. The hotel is located in the city and after the sun goes down it was advised not to leave the hotel, this would be the same everywhere you go in Dar. It is not on a main street and the road in front of the hotel was under construction. It looked like the hotel had a face lift but definately the guts were changed. Saw other travellers staying there. Had internet that was free. Bed was rock hard.

Room Tip: Didnt know that it had a swimming pool or fitness room. Check the showers before choosing your room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sooboy22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a month, I found it very homely and the staff were very friendly and always happy to help. I never expected luxury for the price but I was pleasantly surprised with the standard of service, food, cleanliness and security. Having been to Tanzania numerous times before I knew it wasnt the safest of places and I liked that the hotel doesnt try to disguise that. They clearly tell you to be aware of your belongings and they have safes in every room, I felt very safe in Rainbow as in all the other hotels I have always had cosmetics and small things go missing but here I felt comfortable enough to leave them on my dressing table the entire month and everything was there when I left.

My double room was a really good size and I was especially pleased with the range of channels and the fact that the generator kicks in so quickly when theres a power cut, you can barely tell as power only cuts out for about 3 seconds. I had a balcony which had a great sea view, you can actually see the Zanzibar ferry terminal thats how close it is. I found the location very convenient as it is bang in the centre of town.

Make sure you try the food at Mirch Masala, the Fish Tikka, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Lazeez and Dhaal were really good, I even managed to get a recipe from one of the Chefs who I wasnt surprised to learn had trained at one of the best restaurants in India. I will definitely be staying at Rainbow when Im back in Dar, I know from experience that for that amount of money you cant find anything nearly as good in Dar.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the higher floors on the right of the hotel for a sea view from the balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
vancouver
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Pros: Close to ferry. They can organize pick up at the airport. AC was good and strong. In-room wifi was slow but consistent. Every floor has its own wifi access code. Generators kick in when the power goes out. Staff were friendly. I think the city is rebuilding the street out front, so there's no traffic by the hotel. There's a Subway in a mall nearby.

Cons: If you have anything valuable, you should be careful here. There were THREE notices in our room advising they were not responsible for any thefts; that locking items in your bag in your room is not good enough, and that laptops were being stolen. You get a feeling the hotel puts the blame on the guests for stolen items rather than rectifying the problem with their staff.

To add fuel to the paranoia, our keycard opened up the door to EVERY ROOM on our floor! We discovered this when we forgot something in our room, went back to retrieve it, but opened another door by accident. We then tried a few other rooms on our floor and it opened all of them!! We told reception immediately and they had to re-program our card 4 times before it would open our own door again. Quite a hassle since I had to go upstairs three of those four times to check the card (You would think staff would physically go upstairs and check the card before giving it back to me). On one occasion, a maid in the hallway saw me trying to get into my room and just unlocked it for me without question. Very nice of her but on the issue of security, she didn't even check if I actually lived in that room. There are lots of staff and people moving about in this hotel so I am not surprised items get stolen given how lax the security is.

The food in the restaurant was very mediocre. The included breakfast was also very mediocre (the juice and masala tea were delicious though). The TV channels in the room glitch all the time. The room was small. The shower doors caused the bathroom floor to overflow. The bed was hard as a rock. The hardest best we've had in 10 months of travel. The hotel charges 30,000 TSH for a one-way airport transfer. The taxis in town charged 20,000 TSH to the airport. Also saw a couple of small cockroaches in our room.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Not a luxurious hotel, but an excellent deal for the price. Well located near the Zanzibar fast ferry, and quite satisfactory. Single room with full bathroom was adequate. (No alcohol served in restaurant.)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed here for a couple of days when we arrived in Tanzania for a long three week holiday in various places.

The stay was okay, nothing great; but well located for us; and quite cheap. We booked the same room for our last few days three weeks later; only to find the room double booked and the hotel only offering a terrible alternative. The desk staff / managers wee no help; did not apologise and laregely ignored us; so we went elsewhere.

So I would say stay away; as it turned out there a lot better places.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Bangkok
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We chose this hotel to stay for the first night when we arrived in Dar es Salaam last month. The room rate that we got offered look OK also they offered us for taxi to pick up at the airport. When we checked in and went to our room , the room was very small and was on the second floor ( one floor above kitchen). We asked to change the room as there might be some effect of smell from kitchen. At the beginning the lady at the front said that there was no room available but after a minute there was call from a man at the front allow us to move to bigger room which I thought that it was so nice service.However , there is a building construction beside Rainbow hotel right now cause us unable to see anything except this construction.
We walked around on next day and found another hotel which the price is same as we got from Rainbow.We decided to move out from Rainbow hotel and checked into that hotel instead. This hotel was very good , big room , clean, has a balcony except no free wi-fi in the room like Rainbow hotel.
In the afternoon while we walked around , we met one guy who came from Taiwan.We had a conversation to each other concerning with accommodation. He said that we stayed at Rainbow hotel and the price he got was US$ 20 lower than the price which we got. This cause us has some doubt? If we didn't ask to change the room, will we gonna stay in smaller room as Taiwan guy stay at higher price by 20 USD?. Or the Rainbow hotel compensate the room rate with taxi fare which they sent to pick us at the airport? as we paid 20USD only for pick up. ( we found later after we spent time in Dar that the taxi from town to airport cost around 20USD. one way).
At the end , I would like to tell anybody who has a plan to stay here checking the type of the room before you gonna stay here base on room rate whether it is big room or small room!!!!.
In term of location, yes it is near the ferry pier but not so near Dar Express office by walking where you will go to buy a ticket to Arusha. You still have to catch a taxi which cost around 3,000-4000 Tsh.

Room Tip: As other person said if you had a plan to stay here, choose the room higher than a second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I just stayed at the Rainbow Hotel this last Easter weekend and i would recommend them highly. Very friendly staff, very clean, spacious room. Located very close to the ferry for Zanzibar just a short walk.......

Room Tip: The ocean view has been blocked by a new structure being constructed right next to the hotel so any...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business