“Okay for transit”
Review of Rainbow Hotel

Rainbow Hotel
Ranked #38 of 98 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The room was small, the electricity went out couple of times, the tv cable channels not reliable (I think they stole satellite coverage from India). Staffs were moody, sometimes okay sometimes not. Location was not great neither, its somehow in the middle of a construction site. The only positive thing was the cleanliness of the room. A little bit overpriced imho. But for me, overall it was okay as I was there for one night transit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We ended up in Dar es Salaam in transit on our way home from Zanzibar and had no plans. We ended up at this hotel and it turned out to be perfect for a short stay. It's safe and secure, in the center of the city, 20 min from the airport. The room was a bit small, but it was comfortable. The breakfast was good and the staff was friendly. We lobby is also a great place to kill a few hours if you have time to spare after the 11 am checkout.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is run by indian people and is very central with a nearby shoppingmall. The service is ok, the restaurant is not recomended, but service is good. The best part is the value for money. I use it everytime im in Dar. Just dont expect the world.

Room Tip: Take a double room...in any case. Single room is very small with a tiny bed. Costs 5 usd more.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have stayed at Rainbow Hotel a few times while in Dar es Salaam on business. I found it to be an affordable, safe, quiet, clean hotel with reliable internet and nice hot water in the showers (not something you can always get in hotels in Tanzania).The restaurant provides a fairly good variety of foods. Recently I recommended that my client book rooms for some out-of-town participants in a training we were providing. It was very easy for my client to work with Rainbow from their office in London. There were no hassles and the hotel owner and management were very helpful and even helped us organize a bus to take our trainees to and from the training facility. The location is great, close to the ferry and many shops and restaurants and it is less than 20 minutes to the airport (depending on traffic).

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe room - it is a bit bigger and also has a fridge inside which is really nice to ha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JENR493
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Comfortable rooms, affordable stay, accommodating staff, great restaurant, great location. The hotel's own taxi service helped me with where I needed to go. Also a quick walk to Zanzibar ferry terminal. Couldn't have asked for more, thank you Rainbow!

Room Tip: Ask if the suites are available...fantastic rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jimmy L
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Got off the plane and booked a Safari with a guy from the airport. He suggested this hotel, assumed that he got a kick back from us staying there. Room price was 55USD, the room was a matchbox and the shower was horrible. Not worth the money especially considering the location. The hotel is located in the city and after the sun goes down it was advised not to leave the hotel, this would be the same everywhere you go in Dar. It is not on a main street and the road in front of the hotel was under construction. It looked like the hotel had a face lift but definately the guts were changed. Saw other travellers staying there. Had internet that was free. Bed was rock hard.

Room Tip: Didnt know that it had a swimming pool or fitness room. Check the showers before choosing your room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sooboy22
Reviewed 24 December 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a month, I found it very homely and the staff were very friendly and always happy to help. I never expected luxury for the price but I was pleasantly surprised with the standard of service, food, cleanliness and security. Having been to Tanzania numerous times before I knew it wasnt the safest of places and I liked that the hotel doesnt try to disguise that. They clearly tell you to be aware of your belongings and they have safes in every room, I felt very safe in Rainbow as in all the other hotels I have always had cosmetics and small things go missing but here I felt comfortable enough to leave them on my dressing table the entire month and everything was there when I left.

My double room was a really good size and I was especially pleased with the range of channels and the fact that the generator kicks in so quickly when theres a power cut, you can barely tell as power only cuts out for about 3 seconds. I had a balcony which had a great sea view, you can actually see the Zanzibar ferry terminal thats how close it is. I found the location very convenient as it is bang in the centre of town.

Make sure you try the food at Mirch Masala, the Fish Tikka, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Lazeez and Dhaal were really good, I even managed to get a recipe from one of the Chefs who I wasnt surprised to learn had trained at one of the best restaurants in India. I will definitely be staying at Rainbow when Im back in Dar, I know from experience that for that amount of money you cant find anything nearly as good in Dar.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the higher floors on the right of the hotel for a sea view from the balcony
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business