“Great place if you need a simple room close to the ferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rainbow Hotel

Rainbow Hotel
Ranked #45 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
San Francisco, California
“Great place if you need a simple room close to the ferry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Rainbow Hotel twice, simply because we needed a place close to the ferry. Rainbow was perfect for that - rooms were simple, but with hot water showers, nice bathrooms, wifi, breakfast, etc. Walk to ferry is about 5-10 minutes, very simply directions.

It's nothing fancy, but was perfect for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was looking for somewhere to stay during my business trip in Dar and found Rainbow hotel to have really good rates in comparison to the others. The location was perfect being just near the Zanzibar ferry terminal and also in the centre of town. The staff were friendly and helpful and I was really impressed with the security. The management were very nice and were always attentive and assured me they would help if I needed anything.

It was my 3rd trip to Dar so I was prepared for power cuts however the generator was so fast I couldn't even tell and this was definitely one of the best things about Rainbow for me, it meant constant internet (they have free WIFI too!)which was really important for me. I ate the majority of my meals at the hotel and they had a great variety and everything I tried was delicious and great value. I was also impressed with the cleanliness, I didn't spot any creepy crawlies and my bed linen was changed everyday. For a budget hotel it surpassed all my expectations and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Maria S
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We needed a cheap and cheerful place to rest our heads for one night before heading to the ferry. The positives were the location of the hotel in relation to the ferry terminal and the wait staff in the restaurant were polite and provided a good service.
However we had a cockroach in our room which the staff stepped on and left for us to clean up once he had put our bags in the room, there are no mosquito nets in the rooms either and we did get several bites that night.
The main problem was the management who really let place down, we found them unhelpful and when we arrived our overseas credit card was not working, we asked if we could call the company and pay in the morning, leaving cash with them to show we could pay for the room. In the morning the hotel refused to then let us use our credit card and would not give us the cash back. They also had their own ferry contact who came to the hotel and told us several lies regarding the ticket price and the "new tax". Do not believe him at all as the prices at the terminal are at least $5 cheaper per ticket.
We are used to staying in budget hotels but the service at this place warrants this negative review.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

The room was small, the electricity went out couple of times, the tv cable channels not reliable (I think they stole satellite coverage from India). Staffs were moody, sometimes okay sometimes not. Location was not great neither, its somehow in the middle of a construction site. The only positive thing was the cleanliness of the room. A little bit overpriced imho. But for me, overall it was okay as I was there for one night transit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We ended up in Dar es Salaam in transit on our way home from Zanzibar and had no plans. We ended up at this hotel and it turned out to be perfect for a short stay. It's safe and secure, in the center of the city, 20 min from the airport. The room was a bit small, but it was comfortable. The breakfast was good and the staff was friendly. We lobby is also a great place to kill a few hours if you have time to spare after the 11 am checkout.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is run by indian people and is very central with a nearby shoppingmall. The service is ok, the restaurant is not recomended, but service is good. The best part is the value for money. I use it everytime im in Dar. Just dont expect the world.

Room Tip: Take a double room...in any case. Single room is very small with a tiny bed. Costs 5 usd more.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have stayed at Rainbow Hotel a few times while in Dar es Salaam on business. I found it to be an affordable, safe, quiet, clean hotel with reliable internet and nice hot water in the showers (not something you can always get in hotels in Tanzania).The restaurant provides a fairly good variety of foods. Recently I recommended that my client book rooms for some out-of-town participants in a training we were providing. It was very easy for my client to work with Rainbow from their office in London. There were no hassles and the hotel owner and management were very helpful and even helped us organize a bus to take our trainees to and from the training facility. The location is great, close to the ferry and many shops and restaurants and it is less than 20 minutes to the airport (depending on traffic).

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe room - it is a bit bigger and also has a fridge inside which is really nice to ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business