“Don't book anything with them !”
Review of Rainbow Hotel

Rainbow Hotel
Ranked #40 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Auvers-sur-Oise, France
“Don't book anything with them !”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We chose that place because it is close to the ferry to Zanzibar. We checked in late in the evening , tired after a whole day spent in the bus coming from Arusha. When I asked the boss (I presume) for information on how to get to Zanzibar, he phoned a friend of his to book ferry tickets. The guy showed up in the morning pretending they didn't accept US dollars and thus made us pay more than the official price. He drove us to the ferry, gave us a porter, and asked us again for more money although my husband paid him at the hotel for the ferry and the taxi !
The place itself is OK for the price you pay. Not very clean, though.
It is very easy to walk to the ferry station but we didn't because I had a broken arm.
The hotel is run by Indian people. The boss pretends to be helpful and efficient towards his guests but he turned to be some kind of crook .
So Don't ask for any kind of services !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Rainbow Hotel twice, simply because we needed a place close to the ferry. Rainbow was perfect for that - rooms were simple, but with hot water showers, nice bathrooms, wifi, breakfast, etc. Walk to ferry is about 5-10 minutes, very simply directions.

It's nothing fancy, but was perfect for us.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was looking for somewhere to stay during my business trip in Dar and found Rainbow hotel to have really good rates in comparison to the others. The location was perfect being just near the Zanzibar ferry terminal and also in the centre of town. The staff were friendly and helpful and I was really impressed with the security. The management were very nice and were always attentive and assured me they would help if I needed anything.

It was my 3rd trip to Dar so I was prepared for power cuts however the generator was so fast I couldn't even tell and this was definitely one of the best things about Rainbow for me, it meant constant internet (they have free WIFI too!)which was really important for me. I ate the majority of my meals at the hotel and they had a great variety and everything I tried was delicious and great value. I was also impressed with the cleanliness, I didn't spot any creepy crawlies and my bed linen was changed everyday. For a budget hotel it surpassed all my expectations and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Maria S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We needed a cheap and cheerful place to rest our heads for one night before heading to the ferry. The positives were the location of the hotel in relation to the ferry terminal and the wait staff in the restaurant were polite and provided a good service.
However we had a cockroach in our room which the staff stepped on and left for us to clean up once he had put our bags in the room, there are no mosquito nets in the rooms either and we did get several bites that night.
The main problem was the management who really let place down, we found them unhelpful and when we arrived our overseas credit card was not working, we asked if we could call the company and pay in the morning, leaving cash with them to show we could pay for the room. In the morning the hotel refused to then let us use our credit card and would not give us the cash back. They also had their own ferry contact who came to the hotel and told us several lies regarding the ticket price and the "new tax". Do not believe him at all as the prices at the terminal are at least $5 cheaper per ticket.
We are used to staying in budget hotels but the service at this place warrants this negative review.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The room was small, the electricity went out couple of times, the tv cable channels not reliable (I think they stole satellite coverage from India). Staffs were moody, sometimes okay sometimes not. Location was not great neither, its somehow in the middle of a construction site. The only positive thing was the cleanliness of the room. A little bit overpriced imho. But for me, overall it was okay as I was there for one night transit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We ended up in Dar es Salaam in transit on our way home from Zanzibar and had no plans. We ended up at this hotel and it turned out to be perfect for a short stay. It's safe and secure, in the center of the city, 20 min from the airport. The room was a bit small, but it was comfortable. The breakfast was good and the staff was friendly. We lobby is also a great place to kill a few hours if you have time to spare after the 11 am checkout.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is run by indian people and is very central with a nearby shoppingmall. The service is ok, the restaurant is not recomended, but service is good. The best part is the value for money. I use it everytime im in Dar. Just dont expect the world.

Room Tip: Take a double room...in any case. Single room is very small with a tiny bed. Costs 5 usd more.