For reference, I'm a 30yr old female, travelled solo to meet a group tour and stayed here for 1 night on 21st Dec in a cabin then 1 night on the campgrounds on 25th Dec.
I paid $70AUD for the cabin through my agent. .
Because I was able to experience both types of accommodation Kipepeo had to offer, my overall rating is an average derived from the "good stay in the cabin" weighted down by the "poor amenities on the campground".
To get from DAR Airport it takes approximately 1 hour - this means:
- A cab from airport to ferry terminal (~30mins)
- Wait in line for the ferry (queuing can take 10mins-40mins depending on peak hour and locals wanting to get home!)
- Get on the ferry with the cab
- 5 min ferry ride across a ~100m body of water
- Another 20mins to the campsite (?) from memory.
I had a pre-booked transfer which I paid an exorbitant $65AUD for. Do not pay anywhere near this if you are traveling with unbooked local taxis. (I paid equivalent 94000TZS = NUTS!)
The reception guy and wait staff speak English but the grounds staff (who show you to your cabin) do not.
The campground is set right on the beach with a bar, restaurant and TV area.
The cabins are set among gardens ~50m inland accessible by small tracks
- Extra points for the novelty factor in the cabin design: the ground floor is a wardrobe/bathroom
and the very steep stairs lead up to the sleeping quarters of double mattresses with mosquito netting and balcony (with chairs, table and hammock).
- Alcoholic drinks were a bit cheaper compared to main DAR city and Zanzibar - ~2000-5500TZS which is ~$2-4AUD *Local beer is cheap eg Kilimanjaro
- The beach is not fantastic for swimming with floating seaweed & washed ashore (may depend on the season/tide)
- Restaurant food is not fantastic eg grilled chicken, chips and coleslaw ($6AUD)
- The bathroom is quite dark even with the light on and the shower head/pressure is not fantastic with no guarantee of hot water, however it will be lukewarm from the daytime heat anyway, so don't worry too much (it is Africa).
-The showers at the campground are worse eg water doesn't drain properly, nozzle is multi-directional, shower curtain does nothing, nowhere to hang things etc.
-The campground toilets were quite bad (& thinking back, one of the worst throughout my 5wks camping in 6 countries across Africa)
My campground tip: face your tent windows to the beach so you get a nice breeze at night
Also: when hanging your clothes to dry overnight by the beach, always use a peg because they'll be blown away by the morning.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Kipepeo Beach Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.