“An oasis in Dar”

Ranked #8 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Toronto
“An oasis in Dar”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed one night at the Tanzanite Executive Suites in Dar on my way to Zanzibar. Located right downtown and near to the ferry, this is not a 'romantic' hotel, but an incredibly functional one. From the welcoming crew at the front door to the elevator operator, it was the perfect place. The reception staff were terrific - so helpful, obliging and just willing to do anything to make my stay more comfortable. The room was amazing and totally equipped with AC, tv, wonderful huge bathroom with a great big shower and abundant hot water. Their IT guy came immediately when I arrived and hooked up the WiFi in my room. The bed was so big and comfortable with a lovely duvet. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Plus they kept my big bag in storage at no charge so I didn't have to lug it to Zanzibar. Finally when I returned, they recommended a fantastic Lebanese restaurant for lunch where their staff actually escorted me with an umbrella in the rain. They were all so friendly and couldn't have made my stay more enjoyable. I would highly recommend this and stay there again anytime.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Phoebe96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dorset
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here one night at end of March before travelling to Zanzibar the next day - We arrived separately as my wife had been working on a nursing placement in Dar for two weeks previously - Booked taxi failed to materialise at airport although later advised that it had been on it's way! Good check in for both of us - Upgraded to 2 bedroom suite which was clean and cool but a little functional - Perfect for business traveller and overnight stop overs! Ordered takeaway via reception which arrived on time and was fine - Early morning start the next day - Up at 4.15am and a breakfast tray arrived (we hadn't asked for it!!) at 4.30am which was a nice surprise!! Taxi to airport no problem!! Overall a good place to stay but a little soulless, although to be fair it is geared up to the business traveller (clues in the name I guess!!) Excellent value as well

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank FletchasArmy
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel had a very warm feeling to it. I was very comfortable throughout my stay and my needs were taken care of quickly and efficiently. The location was ideal for me as the places I had to visit were nearby. I found myself conducting most of my work from within the hotel, using the internet facilities and assistance from the friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Imranku
New Germany, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2012

nice clean room staff is nice and helpfull located in the center of the town it is a new hotel with a great rooms

Room Tip: the family suite is good for six to seven persons
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank mac j
Sverige
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Our family stayed at the hotel last week (end of March12) as our friend lived very close to the hotel, and she the reason we stayed over night in Dar es Salaam.
Entrance to the hotel was ok, but how about sayig Welcome first before starting to give orders...no alcohol in rooms etc.
Wall behind Reception Desk was again full of 'you have to...', 'you are not allowed...' Not very welcoming...
There was so many staff in reception, that had no idea who to talk to - it got a bit confusing.
Room was big, and water boiler was good as we travelled with a toddler.
BUT...then i made a mistake of going to the bathroom...
There was stains all over; shower door had brown stains on it, shower handle and tap were covered in calc and stains (very easy to clean if one just wants to). Then after taking a shower I found out that one of the towels was already used. I totally lost it when I looked at the glass by the sink, and it was not changed after the last guest...glass was so dirty!!! Then we called to get some new towels and I also gave away the glass...althought I don't think the guy who came with the towels spoke any english....
We left the hotel before breakfast...
Also quite a challenge to get the password to wifi.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BlueoneSverige
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 29 March 2012

i stayed at the tanzanite executive suites for just one night, before i left tansania after my trip around the world. i cant really complain about anything. the rooms are spacious and clean, the bathroom have a wonderful shower, the only thing missing here is some shelf space.
the area of the hotel seems to be very busy but safe, although for a woman travelling on her own its sometimes better to take a cab.
the breakfast was ok but not spectacular. i appreciated the fresh fruitsalad but missed a good coffee and some cheese. but instead you will find eggs and sweets.
tops for me were def. the free wifi and the gym facilities as well! the staff is also very service-oriented, kind and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank nettinhh
Michigan
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed at this city hotel for one night waiting for our flight the next day. The hotel arranged for airport pickup and back the following day for about the same price as a taxi - well worth it. The hotel staff person met us at the airport with bottles of water.

This is a true urban hotel, more of a "high rise" of sorts with little public space. The facilities are very well maintained and clean. The staff were extremely helpful. We asked the desk for a place to eat nearby. They not only recommended a decent place but also had someone walk with us to the restaurant (about three blocks). this person stayed until we finished dinner and walked back with us. We truly appreciated the extra touch in a very unfamiliar location.

The room was modern and neat, as was the bathroom.

Not sure I would want to stay here for an extended period simply because of location, but is excellent if you need a city hotel for two or three days.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple