“Great-Gecko-Guesthouse”
Review of Friendly Gecko

Friendly Gecko
Reviewed 4 October 2012

After staying one night in a horriable hotel in Dar es Salaam downtown we arrived at the Friendly Gecko. Everything was just perfect:
- the pick-up service from Jacob the taxidriver
- being welcomed by Lauren, Guesthouse Manager, and introduced to the Guesthouse and the volunteers
- our privat room with own hot shower, AC and a mosquitonet
- delicious food for dinner (freshly cooked by Juliette)
We can truely recomment this Guesthouse to everyone who whants to spend his time in a safe area, in a clean house, with excellent service and a lot of helping hands if needed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Fritz F

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The people in Friendly gecko were so friendly and helpful, especially Lauren. She helped me and my friend with everything we needed (find a cheap restaurant, go on a day trip, call a taxi for us... ). Also the guesthouse is very clean, warm and safe. It has two terraces where you can have a beer with the volunteers in the evening and hang out. It was the best hotel we had during our trip in Tanzania. The atmosphere in the Gecko is great, i would recommend it to all open and friendly people who want to meet new friends! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Friendly Gecko was a great place to feel safe and comfortable and get my bearings when first arriving in Tanzania. The staff was welcoming and friendly..I immediately felt at home. The dorm room I was in was clean and quiet. Lauren brought me to the school with some of the volunteers and it was really fun to hang out with the kids a bit and learn some Swahili from one of the teachers...also the beach was beautiful. Thank you Friendly Gecko!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Brandyshill
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The Friendly Gecko was a home away from home for me for three months. I know that Africa sometimes doesn't have hot water or maybe electricity but here there was very little inconvenience of that sort at all. The staff I couldn't fault and the rooms were always sparkling clean. I loved the atmosphere most of all as was able to talk to the most interesting people from all over the world who were having great adventures. I had the priviledge of volanteering at help2kids the orphanage that the friendly Gecko supports and was able to have quality time with the children who now have stolen my heart. The actual location is great as it is so close to the most amazing beaches, not far from the city and close to restaurants that cater for the cheap to the more elegant. Huge thankyou to Lauren who runs the hostel. Nothing was ever a problem to her when I required anything at all, including advice. I can't recommend the Friendly Gecko more highly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Vari Bi Bi G
Reviewed 10 July 2012

a lovely place to stay. It's in the outskirts of Dar es Salaam close to nice beaches. also the city-center isn't far away. bed (very clean room) and a nice breakfast. and last but not least the people and the staff are very friendly and helpfully. for sure you'll have a nice time there!!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tanchita
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A decent location and nice enough rooms. Confused my booking with another at time of booking and then when we requested an additional night were unable to do so despite being told the night before it was ok. Reasonable food but no hot water in our room. Better value places throughout Tanzania

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank BrynNomad
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in the dorm for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. The staff are really friendly and made us feel welcome straight away. The guesthouse is a nice building with cool terraces to sit in the evenings. It is also really clean and the rooms are comfy with well fitted mosquito nets and hot showers. There is also wifi which was great. The beach is not far so we spent a couple of days chilling out there during the day and at the guesthouse in the evening. The guesthouse also provides cheap meals each evening (optional) which were delicious. The included breakfast is also great too.
If I ever come back to dar I will definitely stay here again and I would recommend it to friends. great guesthouse!

• Stayed: May 2012