Friendly Gecko
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Dar es Salaam
See available hotels
View Hotel
Seascape Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Seduta Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2013

It was great staying at the gecko. I did my internship in Dar so I stayed for a long time. It was a nice place and a good location, far away from the hectic city. As solo traveler it is ideal to meet new friends here and go do stuff in the weekend. It was nice that every evening after an "hard" day of work the food was served and it was good! I really liked staying here! There were bikes available to go to the beach, which was really close to the house. After a good weekend of going out it was nice to have a beach nearby where you can fight your hangover.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank m_schevers
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Although I was only at the Gecko for a few nights it was absolutely wonderful. After a day and a half of traveling from Arusha and then through Dar it was a welcome site indeed. I had a pick up from the driver Jacob, who was awesome. It was amazing how he navigated the streets to get us there....really...it was so amazing. I was told about Lauren the manager, and she was super sweet, a real gem-- Down home Canadian Girl....well, it felt like home. The rooms were large and so spacious and very, very clean and I even had my own bathroom!! A must in TZ. They had mosquito nets, a fan (sounds like basics, but a must in TZ and not every guesthouse has them). They had a house girl who did a fabulous job keeping the house clean. The house was filled with volunteers from all over the world and it was great to talk with them and share experiences and ideas. Everyone was laid back and non-stressy. The house was quiet after dark, wasn't alot of partying so you could actually get some sleep. The food was great, cooked by a local Tanzanian women (forgotten her name) but she was so nice and helpful, she did a great job on the eggs!. The house is located walking distance from the beach, so it was great for relaxing. I didn't have time to go out, but it's located close to a few spots that are big for expats. Had an amazing time.

Room Tip: Call in advance to see about room availability. They fill up fast.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Ngozi I
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I lived in a private room in the Friendly Gecko one month. The room was large, with air conditioning and a private bathroom. Was regularly cleaned, bed linen and towels changed. In the building you can enjoy the terrace, lounges with TV and a kitchen, which also suggests a modest but very tasty food. Close to the beach, shops and the necessary means of transport. Quality fully corresponds to the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank GRZEGORZ-CZERSKI
Reviewed 4 October 2012

After staying one night in a horriable hotel in Dar es Salaam downtown we arrived at the Friendly Gecko. Everything was just perfect:
- the pick-up service from Jacob the taxidriver
- being welcomed by Lauren, Guesthouse Manager, and introduced to the Guesthouse and the volunteers
- our privat room with own hot shower, AC and a mosquitonet
- delicious food for dinner (freshly cooked by Juliette)
We can truely recomment this Guesthouse to everyone who whants to spend his time in a safe area, in a clean house, with excellent service and a lot of helping hands if needed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Fritz F
Reviewed 29 September 2012

The people in Friendly gecko were so friendly and helpful, especially Lauren. She helped me and my friend with everything we needed (find a cheap restaurant, go on a day trip, call a taxi for us... ). Also the guesthouse is very clean, warm and safe. It has two terraces where you can have a beer with the volunteers in the evening and hang out. It was the best hotel we had during our trip in Tanzania. The atmosphere in the Gecko is great, i would recommend it to all open and friendly people who want to meet new friends! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends