“A place for everyone”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Arusha
“A place for everyone”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Waterfront slipway it's a place for everyone.i go there for dinner and to watch the amazing World Cup.everyone is treated the same and ilike to eat my African food whenever iam there.so I totally recommend waterfront it's like home for some of us:-)

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrific customer service at the Waterfront”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We are a group of Africans in Dar on business and got the shock of our lives at this restaurant. It is the World Cup, we are in Africa we walked in expecting to be able to watch Ghana-Portugal or at least have both games alternated. When I queried why they were showing only Germany USA and not the African game, I was told "dont come and do the african thing here. My regular customers booked the game" when I asked why there was no notice informing customers which game was showing in that case the owner argued with me at length before saying I apologise BUT "these are my regulars, they come here every night". So warning first time customers or African customers, this restaurant is for regulars only and to be frank expatriates only. Wow right here on African soil.

ThomasScherer, Director at The Waterfront Sunset Restaurant & Beach Bar, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
While we respect anybody's right to voice his/her views and regret any inconvenience to guests in this particular case we have to set the record straight.

1. The Waterfront is not a sports bar. It is a restaurant. Football games are shown this year exclusively for the FIFA World Cup as an additional service to customers in a very restricted area.
2. It is unfair and irrelevant to judge a restaurant based on a fringe activity or product. It should be judged based on food, service and atmosphere.
3. Reading between the lines the writer is accusing the Waterfront manager of racism. This is not acceptable. She happens to be as African as one can be.
4. The fact that a certain game was shown rather than another one is not a result of racism or bias but of fairness and respect to the majority of viewers, wherever they are from.

The Waterfront is well known to be a destination open to anybody as long as they show respect to other guests, to staff and management. We are proud to attract a wide spectrum of customers who all feel at home. We value tolerance and respect and expect the same from our guests.
Eugene, Oregon
“Can be better”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We were here last night after running around...I usually start these reviews on the positive note...So here we go, the place is beautiful with mature palm trees all over the place, right by the ocean that you can smell it...Love this part :) The hostess, girl standing by the menu when one first walks in was very charming and nice...she walked us to a table, we ended up switching twice because they had too many smokers! YUK...Nothing against smokers BUT if it is "family friendly" that means we can bring our kids (right?)...so with smoke all over the place one would then think that this may not very ummh "kid -friendly" i wish they would have designated area for smokers as they are totally destroying the ambiance for non-smokers...

Food: We ordered pizza, I'm sorry to say that this was NOT very good at all, I am not a very good cook and I have made better, sad to say...the cheese was not right, I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong about it...stale or wrong cheese? I don't know... the salami tasted like it came from a can...i couldn't eat it...others did some anyway because they were starving..I don't complain or return my food (personal policy).

I suspect that this place is best for happy hour and later....I will try going here one afternoon and see what it looks like...and I will write another review....All in all it has a mixture of good and bad, if you smoke, you will absolutely love this place...if not, this could be a deal breaker...

Nairobi, Kenya
“The sea lapping at the table”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This restaurant forms part of the Slipway complex which has to be one of Dar's must see venues.
Originally started by the owners, it is now run by the group that had a place at the Oyster Bay Shopping centre. They have kept the original atmosphere and enhanced it with better service and a commitment to simple but tasty fare. I have used it as a place to meet friends over the years and am seldom disappointed. Dar's resident crowd find it a more than pleasant alternative to the snooty yacht club further around the bay !

birmingham
“Great evening!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a great place with some great views of the sunset!! Ferries to the nearby islands and a small local market set up in the vicinity, all make for a good evening.

Visited May 2014