“great food and service but too hot!”

The Lighthouse Beach Resort
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“great food and service but too hot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

The service at the lighthouse is fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble. I am a vegetarian and they went out of their way to cater really good quality meals for me! thank you!
My only grumble is that it was just too hot despite being in the dolphin room which is supposedly the coolest room. The fan lasted until about 4am up until then it was hot but just about bearable, after 4am it was unbearable and meant very little sleep was had. I was told to open the curtains to let the breeze in which would have helped but i don't really want people able to see me lying in bed!
If they could remedy this problem it would be 5/5. I don't think i have had better service in a long time from the booking to the welcome on arrival to the assistance with all our queries it was top rate service! The value for money was brilliant. The 3 course meal in the evening also a treat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emma79_12
Eivind T, Owner at The Lighthouse Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear valued guest!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your review! This is helping in our ongoing efforts for continuing improvements.

We have already after this last weekend evaluated and decided to run our generators (if no technical issues occur) to run the generators til 8 every morning - til the end of this years hot season.

Hope that will be appreciated and that we'll see you back visiting soon!

Best regards

Eivind

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I just spent 3 nights down at the Light House and was able to stay in my favorite room the Dolphin House. As usual I was welcomed with a cooling drink upon getting out of my car and my dog Murphy was greeted warmly. I head down to the Light House about once a month if I can manage it. This time it was great weather, good service usually overall. In the kitchen I have to give Rosie one of the cooks and a baker at heart a big thank you for making gluten free banana pancakes, they were great. There are a couple things I do need to mention and that is during the hot season, it is hot and when the fan turns off at 10pm the rest of the night is just restless and sweaty. I would suggest that the generator be keep on at least until 3am during the hot season. Unfortunately, on my third night I had many mosquitos in the room. I did share this information with staff. What can be done? Maybe all rooms need to have screens everywhere so it is more effective in keeping the mozzies out. Spraying bug spray is not effective when the room cannot be totally closed up. With all this being said I cannot think of another place that is so close, yet takes me so far away from dusty, dirty traffic ensnarled DAR!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Eivind T, Owner at The Lighthouse Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear guest - than you for your visit and for your review! I will make sure Rosie get to know your appreciation.

We do our best to fight the mosquitoes - by fumigation and also by turning down the nets and spray inside. I will have our staff do a evaluation or routines to see if we can make any improvements.

As for extending generator usage during the hot season - that should have been done - I will remind them. For your next visit feel free to check this out and agree with management. Karibuni tena!
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Everything at the Lighthouse works really well from the food to the accommodation to the relaxing beach. Time spent here really recharges your batteries. The staff are helpful and friendly so lunch on the beach or dinner on your room terrace is no problem.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Eivind T, Owner at The Lighthouse Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for your kind and helpful review! I also appreciate all inputs for possible improvements with thanks!
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Lighthouse is a great place. We've stayed there several times now and the staff have been warm, accommodating and lovely each time. We've had to change plans and they've worked with us with flexibility. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Dolphin room rocks! The rooms above the bar can be a bit loud, and have a bit less air flow.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review - it is of great value for us! We hope to be able to construct one or two more Dolphin style bungalows soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Two visits to the Lighthouse Beach Resort, two massive successes!

Where to start...

We stayed in the beach house two times. Lovely spacious room with a big bathroom. It has its own little terrace where you can privately dine with your loved one/company. Breakfast and diner are served here, for lunch you can choose to have it on the beach.

That brings us to the food! My god! I usually have a great appetite, but here I can't manage to finish my plate!

Breakfast with pastries, pancakes, eggs, fresh juice, coffee... I challenge you to finish it all, I'm sure you won't be able to!

Lunch is a light meal with as usual carefully selected freshest ingredients.

Diner is always a three course menu, and Frank (chef and host) always goes all out to comply with the guest's requirements. I hinted that I like a good piece of meat, and I got the perfectly baked, succulent Rib Eye steak weighing about a kilogram :) Did I mention that the portions are huge?

The beach is an oase of tranquility. A few banda's to stay out of the heat, and other than that, nothing but peace and quiet.

Also worth mentioning is hostess Bridget: an absolute pleasure. Always in a good mood, friendly and extremely helpfull!

Overall I can say that if you are looking for some relaxation out of the urban jungle that is Dar, or if you want to start or finish your holidays in Tanzania, this is an absolute paradise. The prices are fair, the food is abundant, fresh and delicious, and the staff goes all out to comply with every reasonable request you make.

Congrats to Eivind and the whole team for creating this little piece of paradise.

Honestly can't wait for my third visit!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dietah
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking your time to post your review! Welcome back - now the new beach bar - Maboya Bar is getting more and more finished! Karibuni tena!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

With a couple of friends we stayed at the Lighthouse at the end of November. From the beginning to the end, it was a great experience. Lovely hosts, delicious food, tranquil beach and bonfire at night. What would we want more after a busy week of work? I would highly recommend this place if you are living and working in Dar. It's like heaven after the hustle and bustle of the city!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The Dolphin room has a nice ocean view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dar es Salaam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My family and I stayed at the Lighthouse Resort for three days and we loved it. We had heard good things from friends about it and we were very impressed with the friendliness and service at the resort. My daughter and I are vegetarians and the staff were very accommodating. The food was excellent! We stayed in the Maasai House and really enjoyed it. The outdoor patio was perfect for reading and having meals when not at the beach. We highly recommend staying at the Lighthouse and would return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#19 of 110 in Dar es Salaam
Kipepeo Beach Village
Kipepeo Beach Village
#2 of 110 in Dar es Salaam

Been to The Lighthouse Beach Resort? Share your experiences!