“great mid-priced hotel”

Kebby's Hotel & Conference Centre
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dar es Salaam
Kebby's Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #50 of 114 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
Baltimore, MD
“great mid-priced hotel”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I spent a week at Kebby's on business. Our local office booked my accommodation so I did not choose the hotel, but it was a great choice. Kebby's is brand new, it has only been open for one month, so the whole place is clean and in great condition. The staff is very pleasant and quickly responded to all my requests (which I find is not always the case in Dar.)

My room was a pretty good size for an inexpensive African hotel, with good A/C, a refrigerator, TV, etc. There is no in-room wifi but you can borrow a USB modem from the front desk. The floors are tile throughout. I see a lot of reviewers here on TripAdvisor complaining that tile floors are noisy, and that is true. However, I'd take tile over carpet any day as it does not hold moisture. The heat and humidity is terrible in Dar this time of year and carpet can harbor mold and mildew. IMHO tile is a way better choice.

Breakfast is included and was pretty good. There is a cold buffet with cereal, bread, coffee, fruit, and the cook will make eggs, sauage, beans, etc. to order.

The location has pros and cons. Our office is located outside the downtown area and Kebby's is about 5 minutes away, a big plus considering the terrible traffic in Dar es Salaam. However, if you are a tourist or if you are working downtown, it might not be a great location. Also, there is not much in the immediate area besides offices and residences, and we could not walk to any shops or cafes. However, taxis are inexpensive so that is definitely an option. There is a lot of construction in the area so perhaps something will open nearby.

There is a bar/restaurant on the top floor with several TVs, a number of tables and a few barstools. The food is quite good and inexpensive. Well, it is pretty cheap compared to a hotel in Nairobi or in the US; it is expensive for the area, where you can buy meals for about $2, if you are comfortable in a local open-air restaurant. I don't mind eating in such places but I also don't mind paying $6 for a nice meal. The place was quite busy with a friendly but low-key crowd, and nobody even noticed me. Which was nice, as a woman traveling solo I don't like to draw too much attention.

I did have a few problems, but I think they were because the building is so new and they are still getting the bugs out of the system. One morning I awoke to find the electricity was out, only in my room. The rest of the hotel was fine. The hotel called an electrician and it was fixed before I returned from the office. Also, I had no hot water for the first couple of days, not uncommon in Africa and not really a problem since it is so hot and sweaty in Dar. When I complained to the front desk, they had it fixed. Again, only in my room, my colleagues had plenty of warm water.

I've stayed at four mid-price hotels in Dar, and Kebby's is the best. If you have business here, it is a good option. I have no idea what the regular rate is, I believe we paid about $55 per night but my company has a negotiated rate for our frequent transient business.

Room Tip: I had a sea view room but you can barely see the ocean, it is pretty far away. What you see is the s...