“One of Dar's best”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Southern Sun Dar es Salaam is certainly one of the best Dar has to offer, certainly in the upper price range but well worth it, the service, food, rooms and location are all great.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear CuervoDurban
Many many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor! Of course my team really enjoys positive feedback, and I am delighted that you had a magic stay with us. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back again one day in the not too far distant futire!
Adam

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Southern Sun.
-Great service
-Great food
-Good pickup service (our night time flight was 1h50min delayed!)
-Quiet and safe
-Several tourist attractions nearby

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank daydreamerNorway
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Hi Daydreamer Norway

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind words, we do appreciate it! I am dleighted that all went well with your stay and hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back again someday. Cheers Adam

Reviewed 26 July 2011

After reading a few reviews about this hotel, I decided to book it for a 4 night stay.
I found the hotel conveniently situated wrt to my meetings, the staff are very kind, and the taxi service offered is also good.
The food is exceptional! My compliments to the chef.
Generally, my 1st impression was good.
I was very dissapointed when I got to my room however. They are a little small, and it smelt musty - the smell is reminisant of places like the EKO Hotel in Lagos, Hotel Mundial in Angola and other dogey dens I have the misfortune of staying at.
I could never get comfortable in the room - both from a layout and temprature point of view.
So would I stay here again - hmmmmmm, not sure really!

Room Tip: Musty smelling room not nice!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Dear Craig, Thanks for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. I am devastated that you did not have happy sleeps and that the room bothered you! I wish we had the opportunity to resolve this whilst you were still here,I am confident that we would have sorted you out to your satisfaction. A Quality sleep is of course our prime business purpose,everything else we do must support that mission, and when we fail in that purpose we cannot charge for it! I will be in contact with you privately to arrange suitable compensation. We would welcome the challenge to lookafter you again when you next visit Dar, I hope you take us up on it! Kind Regards Adam

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Short report: The reception, Restaurant, and Bar are staffed with out going friendly qualified staff. Food and Room is good as usual.
Breakfast has changed, there is no longer any expectation of service as once there was. A sort of lucky if you get it attitude. Service in this area had declined about 80%. Since there is no longer any personalized care this affects presentation also. As a regular guest this noticeable lack of quality is disappointing to say the least. Please fix this situation it is not appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2011
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear UK2012:
Ooops, you are not the only one to have noticed a drop in our breakfast service standards! I ahve worked on this with my team and am confident that we have fixed the glitches that must have annoyed you and others. Please come in and test us and let me know. Thanks for the feedback, forums like this are extremely valuable in helping me keep on top of our game.
Adam

Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at two hotels in Dar during our trip to Tanzania, and spent one night at the Southern Sun. I wish we could have stayed longer, but our meeting required that we move to the Holiday Inn. In comparison, the Southern Sun was a real delight. The location near the embassies has a lot of trees and some lovely bright colored weaver birds were nesting on the property. We left our luggage in their care when we went on a safari. Everything was 'no problem madam'. And free internet too! We will definitely return if we come back to Dar.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
ABaraza, Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear Steff

Thank you very much for your feedback. As our guest, you are the reason for our existence and we will therefore go the extra mile for you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed at the hotel en route to our Tanzanian safari. Due to airline schedules we had to stop over in DAR. This was a clean and comfortable place to spend the night.

The room was clean and everything worked as expected. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and good basic menu. The staff were very attentive and we were greeted by management staff during the meal to check if all was in order.

The breakfast the next morning was a buffet (included in tariff) and commenced from 4 AM as a lot of flights seem to depart in early morning.

This hotel is about 30 mins from the airport and the hotel arranged our transfers both ways for a small extra charge.

The hotel is located in the business district of DAR, however we were warned by the hotel staff not to walk around the area at night or to display valuables as muggings have been known to happen in the area. This was not a concern to us as we did not need to leave the hotel. Not sure if this is "normal" in DAR, however I think care and vigilance should be taken with personal safety anywhere in DAR.

We actually stayed there again at the end of our 2 week safari, and the front desk staff recognized us by sight and welcomed us, this is something very rare these days!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank oztraveller13
ABaraza, Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear oztraveller13
Thank you for sharing your service experience with us. We are happy to have met your expectations and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2011

I stay with you many times, A Haven of Peace for Sure, One thing that brings me back is the AMAZING Breakfast Buffett & the Staff that are normally on this service are WORLD CLASS without a doubt. Time and time again they just bring me what i want without asking for it, The Personallity of two staff in particualur one male and one female are beyond Amazing, It is a wonder they have not been head hunted. I have watched as they give outstanding Friendly Personal Service to all guests,, HOWEVER,, Something crazy? , I now find these Special People are not around, They were the ones who gave an atmosphere that made your hotel special, , when asking i hear they are on other duties like night shift????, I have to ask at this point if your Management have lost the comprehension of SPECIAL????.
Their Replacements are INCOMPETENT to say the least, just one Example out of many!!!!,,,,, I ordered Tea, the Waiter brings me Coffee, I ask for tea again, they begins to argue with me that i ordered coffee, i say but i want TEA,,, PLEASE BRING ME TEA, they just continue to argue how i ordered coffee over a 8-10 minutes tome frame, i say ok!!,,, to try and get some tea,,,,, i have now changed my mind can i have tea,, stress levels at this point are beyond but she wil not back down,,, she slowly walks away, leaving the coffee sitting there, after 3-5 more requests she finally brings me warm water and tea bag, wasnt even the tea i asked for, she would not then even take away the coffee. The Arrogance of this person was astounding, at the time was only about 5 tables occupied, , and having to put up with this person and the other workers this last week was beyond testing my paitience. Southern SUN you have made a HUGE MISTAKE, Breakfast Service is what makes a Hotel SPECIAL!!!! YOU DONT KNOW THIS???,, and yours WAS amoung the worlds best, but NOT NOW!!. I can tell you for one do not apprciate arguing with waiters in the morning, it makes my day start off BADLY. A bad day is a LOST CUSTOMER, You know what, i am not the only one they were being silly with!. I didnt bother to go to breakfast last few days of the stay,,,, WELL DONE on Destroying the BEST BREAKFAST IN AFRICA..

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank dd1153

Dear DD1153,
I appreciate the time you took to post your recent experience in our Hotel. Accept our apologies for spoiling what we are best known for – Great breakfast! We put a lot into our breakfast as we know it is not only the most important, but also the only substantial meal of the day for most of our customers. I agree bad service is to say the least irritating and spoils the day
We spend a lot of time making sure that the human element of all aspects of our service is caring and personalized. Those who consistently excel are not only recognized but also get opportunities for development. Part of this development involves rotation and exposure to all areas of our food and beverage operation. The replacements are equally trained and we have already addressed the shortcoming you pointed out. I am sure that on your return, you will find the service meets your expectations.

Once again thanks for your valuable feedback, which, as with all feedback will be shared with my team.