“Overpriced but does the job”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I was in dar for 4 days in Southern Sun and it was Ok hotel. It had all the amenities of a maybe a 3 start hotel in US. The room I feel was small compared to other places I have visited in US and Asia. i believe they are similar to the European hotels.

The lobby and entrance is not impressive as you would expect from a hotel where you are paying $300 night. Other big hotels(Kempenski and Movenpick) had much better impressive entrances.

I went when it was extremely busy and fully booked hotel. They initially gave me a double bed room. i complained that i had booked for 1 King and they switched. The room is basic with a pretty good bath and shower. The TV is old 19 inch with satellite channels.

It does have a good workout place, great business center and small but decent restuarant.

This is definitely good location but somewhere in the end of a deadend street.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank boozitraveller
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Boozitraveller, Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to post on Trip. Its difficult to track what rate you paid, I would be intrested to see , we certainly dont have rates in that range. In fact we always recommend trawling around for good deals on our website and even by email. You would certainly have fond something in the $180 range. Noted the comments about the TV's we are mid way replacing all our TV's with a room refresh. Although we are located at the Begining of Garden avenue, just 100m short of the beach we think our location downtown and in the Botanical Gardens is rather nice and certainly quieter than other downtown Hotels.
I am delighted though that you had a good stay with us, and I hope we have an opportunity to meet again on a future trip to Dar es Salaam

Regards

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Having read great reviews of the Southern Sun on TA and needing a hotel for 2 days at the beginning and end of our vacation in Tanzania, we decided to book. I had also contacted the manager concerning our booking briefly prior to arriving and he responded quickly to my enquiry. The Southern Sun proved to be a great choice.

We arrived at 3:00 a.m. tired and still somewhat jet lagged in spite of spending 3 marvelous nights in Istanbul enroute from Toronto. We were warmly greeted at reception, registered and shown to our room within minutes.

The room, which was on the first floor, was clean and the bed quite comfortable. However the furniture was somewhat dated and the room appeared to be in need of renovation. This wasn't of major concern as I had also read that the hotel was in the process of renovations and understand that these things take time. On our return 2 weeks later we were given a room on the second floor and noticed a difference immediately. This room had been updated, the furniture was newer and it was much more comfortable overall. Free Wifi was also available throughout the hotel.

An excellent breakfast buffet was served on the second floor from 4:30 a.m. onwards. In addition to a variety of fruit, bread, yogurt, juice etc., a hot breakfast was available from a short order cook who prepared an omelette etc. while you waited. Tea and coffee were served at your table by friendly staff.

An added convenience for travelers wanting to see local attractions is that a branch of Kearsley's Travel is conveniently located on the second floor. The oldest travel company in Tanzania and highly respected, it which offers local tours and other services. We had booked our safari and other travel arrangements through Kearsley's head office (online) and found them to be both friendly and efficient.

The main restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and a varied, well prepared menu. The fish and curries were delicious. We ate there on three occasions and enjoyed it very much. Prices are also quite reasonable. The hotel, being the closest hotel to the airport, was always busy and the restaurant and lounge were full each time we were there. Our servers, although efficient, weren't quite as friendly as staff in other parts of the hotel but the restaurant manager went from table to table chatting with guests and checking to see if their needs had been met. On one occasion the chef also enquired. This was a nice touch and we were pleased to see that they were interested in their guests. Next to the restaurant was a spacious and comfortable lounge whose doors opened onto a patio and pool. It was a very pleasant place to relax and enjoy a drink.

The main lobby was spacious and well appointed. There was also a small independent shop selling souvenirs and gifts. However prices were higher than what is available in places such as the Slipway where a number of vendors sell a huge selection of similar souvenirs and gifts. I was also surprised to find that although the selection was of good quality, most of the items, if not all, had been made in Kenya!

Although our stay at the Southern Sun was brief we enjoyed it very much. We were especially delighted with the restaurant and the overall service provided by the staff. I recommend it as a great place to stay while visiting Dar es Salaam or as a stopover. Kudos to Adam and his staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HomedicMunes
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Dear Homemedicmunes
Compliments on writing such a comprehensive review! And many thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stays with us. I will be sharing your review with our team and with the two concessionaires in the hotel. I like your observation about the Kenyan goods and agree the shop should make more effort in using local arts and crafts and in doing so help sustain our local crafts industry more effectively. As I have pointed out in other posts, my team really enjoy the compliments that come our way, service is after all our collective profession, but at the same time critical comment is also welcome, without which we are always in danger of slipping up. Your review apart from being so comprehensive also offers both! Asante and I do hope we have an opportunity to welcome you both back on a future safari to East Africa. Best Regards Adam

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Adam, Rita and Judy we can't thank you enough for John's wonderful stay with you and for all the help you gave us. First you managed to pick him up when he had to catch a later plane. You found him and managed to help get his luggage from Nairobi in time to get him to work shaved and appropriately dressed. Judy, your kind and thoughtful recommendationswith buying the perfect kitangas for our friend who was born there was way beyond the call of duty. Rita, you were so helpful and he wasn't the only person you were looking after! John arrived home with presents, great memories and super stories to tell. As someone who has travelled internationally for business since he was in his early 20's John thinks of his pleasant stay with you lovely people as one of the high points. So, the service, the meticulously run hotel, and the amazing friendliness of everyone there win 5 stars in our books any time. Thank you so much.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Dear Lifestylelegal!
Thanks so much for your kind comments gratefully shared with our team. I know that we all look forward to John's return. I think your comments highlight our service philosophy here at Southern Sun, where we really do enjoy giving each of our guest genuine and personalised attention. Our relatively small size allows us to do this with my team who really are one of the best I have worked with over my many years as an Hotelier!
Best Wishes

Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Southern Sun Dar es Salaam is certainly one of the best Dar has to offer, certainly in the upper price range but well worth it, the service, food, rooms and location are all great.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Dear CuervoDurban
Many many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor! Of course my team really enjoys positive feedback, and I am delighted that you had a magic stay with us. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back again one day in the not too far distant futire!
Cheers

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Southern Sun.
-Great service
-Great food
-Good pickup service (our night time flight was 1h50min delayed!)
-Quiet and safe
-Several tourist attractions nearby

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank daydreamerNorway
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Hi Daydreamer Norway

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind words, we do appreciate it! I am dleighted that all went well with your stay and hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back again someday. Cheers Adam

Reviewed 26 July 2011

After reading a few reviews about this hotel, I decided to book it for a 4 night stay.
I found the hotel conveniently situated wrt to my meetings, the staff are very kind, and the taxi service offered is also good.
The food is exceptional! My compliments to the chef.
Generally, my 1st impression was good.
I was very dissapointed when I got to my room however. They are a little small, and it smelt musty - the smell is reminisant of places like the EKO Hotel in Lagos, Hotel Mundial in Angola and other dogey dens I have the misfortune of staying at.
I could never get comfortable in the room - both from a layout and temprature point of view.
So would I stay here again - hmmmmmm, not sure really!

Room Tip: Musty smelling room not nice!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Dear Craig, Thanks for taking the time to reveiw our hotel. I am devastated that you did not have happy sleeps and that the room bothered you! I wish we had the opportunity to resolve this whilst you were still here,I am confident that we would have sorted you out to your satisfaction. A Quality sleep is of course our prime business purpose,everything else we do must support that mission, and when we fail in that purpose we cannot charge for it! I will be in contact with you privately to arrange suitable compensation. We would welcome the challenge to lookafter you again when you next visit Dar, I hope you take us up on it! Kind Regards Adam

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Short report: The reception, Restaurant, and Bar are staffed with out going friendly qualified staff. Food and Room is good as usual.
Breakfast has changed, there is no longer any expectation of service as once there was. A sort of lucky if you get it attitude. Service in this area had declined about 80%. Since there is no longer any personalized care this affects presentation also. As a regular guest this noticeable lack of quality is disappointing to say the least. Please fix this situation it is not appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2011
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear UK2012:
Ooops, you are not the only one to have noticed a drop in our breakfast service standards! I ahve worked on this with my team and am confident that we have fixed the glitches that must have annoyed you and others. Please come in and test us and let me know. Thanks for the feedback, forums like this are extremely valuable in helping me keep on top of our game.
Cheers