“Pleasant Overnight Stay”

Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Moscow, Russia
“Pleasant Overnight Stay”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

As many reviewers, we have stayed at Southern Sun for a night after our flight from Istanbul to Dar and before the flight to Zanzibar. Overall the hotel matched our expectations.

The hotel's staff had built a very pleasant impression from the very beginning, when we asked to book a room and organize a transfer from and to airport by e-mail. The replies were prompt and clear.

Upon arriving to Dar airport we easily detected a driver who was holding a sign with our names. The transfer was fast and efficient.

Upon arrival we have been checked-in and given the keys from our room, which turned out to be rather outdated, but clean and with comfortable bed and good bathroom (insects repellent is among bath amenities, no bed mosquito net).

Next morning we were surprised with a very nice, I would even say amazing window view on vast green gardens and very good breakfast. The restaurant offered seats both inside and outside on nice terrace.

Before departure we asked the front desk staff to check a possibility of orginizing a small city tour with our driver. It was immediately done for a very affordable extra payment.

So, the hotel would be absolutely perfect after it renovates the rooms. For now, it is very good for short overnight or business stays.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank from_moscow
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi From _Moscow
Thanks for your very detailed and accurate review! We are correct that our rooms need some updating and plans are well in place to do just that.
I hope we are able to welcome you back one day and show you

Cheers
Adam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a one night stopover here en route to Serengetti National Park. In spite of arriving at 4am our rooms were available to us; the super efficient staff looked after our bags and we went straight to breakfast before having a few hours sleep prior to meeting friends.
Buffet breakfast was hot and plentiful with a good choice and the rooms large, clean and very comfortable.
Big thanks to Punim Kanabar for arranging our safari, Zanaibar and internal transfers. It all worked perfectly!
Also stopped off at Southern Sun on way back to airport. Again staff looked after our luggage - thanks to Raham - while while we had a lovely dinner in the restaurant before flying back to UK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mark
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel here in Dar es Salaam. Thanks for picking our Punim and Rahim, they both play key roles in our hotel and I know they appreciate your feedback. I hope you also enjoyed your safari in our Parks, I think Tanzania has the greatest game experience on the continent
Best Wishes
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a stop over on our way from the U.S. to Zanzibar. We arrived late in the evening and we left early the next morning. The hotel was in a safe area, not too far from the airport, and it was very nice. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and delicious.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear Dohiki!
Thanks for taking the time from your holiday to review us! I am glad you enjoyed your brief stay here and hope that you had an equally fun and comfortable sojourn in Zanzi
Kind Regards
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was among the first guests when this hotel on Garden Road first opened. It became a point of stability in my Tanzanian travels. I returned last week, for the first time in 4 years. Their records reminded the front office staff that I was a frequent guest, but they were professional and welcoming even before that. Complimentary wine in my room, a small platter of snacks (I'd not eaten droee boerewors in decades!).
Superb breakfasts as always. Adam Fuller is still the GM and remembered me. (some hotels where I've stayed more frequently to this day I have no idea who the manager is). Dining room good, room service reliable. Attractive African-style decor - the Southern Sun trade mark.
Room a bit pokey after the Doubletree Hilton stay, but I prefer this hotel - the warm choc chip cookies upon check in at the other one is a pain - never know what to do with it while I'm doing paper work. Here some cold water or juice is far more appropriate and welcome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hey Delphine! I am so sorry for responding so late to your kind note! It was fun having you back with us again, and am very happy that you have been able to migrate away from that 'other' place.
Thanks for the feedback and hopefully it wont be too long before you are able to have a decent breakfast with us.
Keep Well
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A real pleasure, tranquil, enjoyable and gem of an hotel, with a constant flow of smiles, eager and willing staff and ever caring management. Cannot be done and not today are words that do not exist in their book. I was way beyond impressed. meals were wholesome, well cooked, in good portions and tasty. Breakfasts were lavish, but I have to admit their coffee was a jaw breaker...way too strong for me on all three days I stayed. It may not be close to any well know beach, but its close enough to the sea for an amble...and if you are here for business the CBD is a stone through away. The Botanical Gardens behind the hotel are a very pleasant spot to go for a run, so some yoga...or frustrating birding.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor overlooking the gardens and the pool and thought it was a great room, quiet...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear ChristianBoix,
First off, sorry for my tardy reply - I have been away on leave! Anyway's I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! I am blessed with a very special team to work with who enjoy our business, makes my job easier and clearly rubs off on to our guests! Sorry about the coffee though - we do try and tone it down for breakfast!
Cheers and thanks again for the feedback
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I were travelling for a safari in tanzania, the hotel in Dar Es Salaam we stayed at was Southern Sun. The rooms were clean, staff extremely friendly, food is great. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: get room of 5th floor for great views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hi Umanngossein!
Thank you both for taking the time to write a review. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement as well, they do have a wonderfully positive impact on my team!
Cheers
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The room where I stayed (2° floor) was relatively small but very clean, well stocked with tea and coffee, bathroom amenities including insect repellent. Breakfast was excellent -- from the hearty welcome to the choice of fresh fruit and the local newspapers. Cleaning was efficient and impeccable. The restaurant has a very nice choice of wines and the dishes are very nicely prepared and presented. I would have loved to use the pool but as it was outdoors, and because of the Dengue crisis at the time of my visit, didn't feel very inspired to do so. I saw other people swimming however. Staff -- from manager to cleaners -- would great always with courtesy and a big smile; all seemed very well trained and rendered service efficiently. It is a pricey hotel but one feels very well served for the money paid. Location for my purposes was the best i could get; it avoided me having to be stuck in the Dar traffick. Heartily recommended!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear 16MayMyVilc
Thanks for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay! ]
We hope you find time to return again soon!
Best Wishes