“Excellent for a short business stay”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Good place to stay before you travel inland. Very friendly personnel, good room, nice food and in the town center, so all preparations for a trip can be made easily. If you really want to swim, go early.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hi Jooplent
Thank you for your review! I am glad that our central location with her ease of access to most parts of town worked well for you!

Karibu tena

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This has probably been one of my best customer service experiences since arriving in Tanzania. From the moment you step through the hotel's automated doors, you feel that you are valued as a customer. The check-in process was swift and smooth and came with a welcome drink and a goodie bag. Although my room was a bit small for the price tag attached to it, the bed was very comfortable with four beautiful large, fluffy pillows. The one thing that was lacking though was a mini fridge. While I appreciate that the hotel mightn't be willing to take on the hassle of monitoring the contents of mini-bars in individual rooms, a fridge should at least be available if only so guests can have cold drinking water if they so wish.

The breakfast buffet is really good with a wide variety of food options, although vegetarians might not feel that the choices are that extensive. Vegans would suffer even further. I have had lunch previously at the hotel's restaurant on the ground floor, that was disappointing. I had lunch there again this time, and that was equally disappointing. However, I did appreciate one of the managers, Gavin, comping the meal. The bottle of red wine also sent to my room later was even more greatly appreciated! And for me, this is what separates a good hotel from a great one: doing that little bit extra to ensure that the customer is happy (and I am fairly easily pleased).

If I do have one gripe, and here I am nitpicking, is that the music in the lobby is too loud. Lobby music should ideally be a background item blending into overall tone of the establishment, not a discrete entity that you have to fight above. I also question who the target audience is for the choice in music.

The staff here are excellent, from the doormen, to the cleaners to the reception staff and all the other staff behind the scenes who keep this place running like a well oiled machine. To the staff and management, I would like to say keep up the good work and keep flying that Southern Sun flag high.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eleanor_Madziva

Dear Eleanor_Madziua

Gosh what a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to make your notes. My team is without exception entirely focused on taking care of our guests and I am glad that we did not disappoint you. We don't promise to always get it right (we try!)but when we don't it is important that my guys do the right thing to correct our errors and hopefully learn.

At the moment we provide room fridges on request and we have plans to make them standard in all our rooms when we refurbish the hotel. For the moment though they can be ordered on line or on check in.

Your point on the background music is noted and we will review our channel choice, I agree what ever we play should not be intrusive.

I am sorry that we failed you in our Baraza restaurant, this is an exceptionally popular restaurant and our chef and management team spend a lot of time making sure our offer meets the very varied needs of our guests. I am sure Denzil noted your comments and shared with Joe our Chef.

Once again thanks for the feedback!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed one night here after an overland trip from Moshi, post-safari. The staff could not have been more welcoming and the ambience of the hotel is truly restful, enjoying its unique position next to the Botanical Gardens.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear RuthR
What a great headline! Thanks! A restful retreat is exactly what we are and what everyone least expects, thanks to our neighbours the Botanic gardens. I am so happy that we were able to take care of you as you ended your tour of Tanzania!
Hope to see you back again
Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed on a business trip and found it pleasant from check-in adn trhoughout my entire stay.Great breakfast. Wide selection of dishes in restaurants. Tasty and succulent food. Good price-performance.

Room Tip: I had a restricted budget and went for a standard room that proved to cater well for my needs.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hi Toro065!
Thank you very much for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Thanks again for your support
Best Wishes

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

It was my second visit to Southern Sun Dar es Salaam. The hotel is beautifully decorated with spacious areas to sit and relax. The rooms are comfortable, modern and spacious. The service are professional and prompt. The food is tasty and of the highest quality. This hotel is worth a visit.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Morne
Thanks for your feedback and for your loyalty! I am glad that we continue to meet your expectations and I hope we will continue to welcome you back to your Dar Home!
Cheers

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at the Southern Sun in Dar Es Salaam for a week on a work trip and the hotel was a pleasant surprise. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was fine, with toiletries and it even had insect repellent. The food at breakfast was great. There was a great selection of food from the buffet and you could get eggs made on the spot and in view. The service was good. Staff was friendly and tried to accommodate any requests. I had dinner at the hotel almost every night. They served a selection of local and international dishes. The hotel has a pool. I didn't get a chance to use it, but it is surrounded by a garden and looked inviting. The only problem, especially in the evenings, is the mosquitoes. Repellent must be used at all times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Allwaystravelling3,
I really appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to review our Hotel. A week is a long time in a hotel and I am delighted that we were able to surprise you! The mosquitoes are a problem here on the coast and we try very hard to keep them under control. The best strategy is to use the repellant we provide and cover up at night!
Thanks again

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The service and the restaurant food are really excellent! The rooms are ok, altough a little bit smelly. Well located near the city center.

Since was Ramadan during my stay the restaurant did open at 4:00 a.m.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Gustovo Miotti
Thanks for your feedback as well as for taking the time to note your comments on our hotel. Sorry about the musty odor in some of our rooms. This has been a challenge for us here in this Humid climate, however I am sure that my Housekeeping team is overcoming the problem. Our restaurant opens every day at 4am for breakfast, and not just during the Holy Month. We open early to allow the passengers on early flights to get in a decent meal before the long haul home
Cheers and I hope you will be returning soon
Regards