“good quality and excellent value for money”

Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
Ranked #2 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We had a night here at the end of our trip before flying back to the UK. We were very pleased that our travel agent had booked us here - the room was a good size (not big but room to move), with a comfortable bed with great pillows (and a pillow menu) and crisp white sheets. Bathroom had a bath (a bit short) and separate shower (large) with good toiletries.

The hotel has a nice small pool area and is in a safe and quiet part of town. We ate at the hotel restaurant as we could not be bothered to go out - we were very pleased - nice wine list at reasonable price. If you like curry we had one of the best potato/lentil/coconut curries we have ever had (and we eat curry a lot).

Staff and porters were very helpful.

All in all a comfortable stay and much better than just a transit hotel - we enjoyed our stay and left refreshed.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gerbilsontour

Reviewed 11 September 2008

No problems at all with this hotel. We arrived late but managed to get some dinner and cold beer and were whisked away again in the morning. The room was perfectly decent by anyone's standards but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dugong
Reviewed 30 July 2008

Good hotel, great staff. Nice room on par with any 3-4 star in the US. Very nice grounds in a quite area. Hotel food was good. 2 restourants. I only ate lunch and breakfast so not sure how good the diner would be. But there was one major problem, and that was that there was no hot water. That was a real issue since it meant a cold shower in the morning! Still, given that the price was reasonable and the room was nice I would come back.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank xbioman
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I have stayed at this hotel 5 times now. My room is booked by the Bank of Tanzania, so I have little choice, however it is not a problem. There are two hotels I prefer in Dar, and both are more expensive.
On the up side the Southern Sun (ex. holiday Inn) has high quality rooms with excellent bathrooms containing both a bath and walk-in shower. The beds are kings-size and the TV and A/C both work. Wireless Internet is free, though there is a daily code you must request.
Breakfast is as good as any in Dar; excellent.
The staff are friendly and very helpful, and the gym is good, though a bit equipment light.
The bar is a Dar hot-spot, frequented by all sorts of fun characters (including a few hookers, who are not a problem, being quite polite and unintrusive). Actually, one trip I was insomniac due to the anti-malaria pills and sat in the bar until it closed and a few of the hookers (after a half-hearted attempt to drum up trade) came and advised me on how to get to sleep with ideas like eating 4 whole bananas and then a hot bath, and a few less wholesome ideas. It was fun and not offensive, but I got the impression that they would have been kicked out if I had lookd annoyed. Prices are reasonable; for food and drink, not the hookers. Those I don't know about.
Food-wise the menu is OK, but gets a bit wearing after a couple of weeks. The restaurant menu *is* the room service menu, so there is no need to eat downstairs unless you enjoy the hubbub. Be warned, though, that room service is slow and your food will often arrive warm, rather than hot.
The pool is fine for someone like me, who just wants to cool down and exercise a bit, but it is very close to the bar and women may feel a bit intimidated by the dozens of men sitting around drinking while they sunbathe. (Actually the sunbathing window is very small as the pool is in shade for most of the day.)
On balance I would say that it is a good business hotel, but a bit sad as a holiday hotel.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Rouffian
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I stayed here when it was still a Holiday Inn property. It's way better than a typical US Holiday Inn. The rooms are very nice and comfortable with very good wireless internet connection. The shower was large with good water pressure. I found staff very efficient and accommodating. There is a decent breakfast buffet. Food in the bar was not at all good, but the bar is lively with young professionals and seems to be quite the place to be on weekend evenings. I used the hotel's drivers: $15 for airport pick-up; $40 for three hours out at meetings. The location is pretty good - I could walk no problem on my own to some of the international organizations I was working with during my stay.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Jigsaw68
Reviewed 18 June 2008

I loved my stay here. Everything they had on offer at this hotel was perfect to make my stay comfortable. The porters and reception staff were very warm and friendly from the moment I stepped out of the taxi. Throughout my whole stay, the staff would greet you with courtesy and always ask if there was anything they could help you with or if everything was ok with my stay. Love the genuine service.

The hotel itself is fantastic. Modern and well maintained. The pool is perfect for cooling down in the humid weather. The pool scene gives you the feeling of being away from the hustle and bustle of the city. For fitness fanatics, the hotel provides a map of a jogging route around the surrounding area of the hotel, and rest assured it is safe. The gym is a little small with limited equipment, but satisfactory. They even provide you with some fruit to munch on after your workout.

The restaurants in the hotel are quite good and the food reasonably priced for an international hotel chain. You can sample some western or African cuisine if you wish. Breakfast is very good. Expect decent a full breakfast buffet, with fresh coconuts available as well if you wish.

The room itself is great. The usual standard room size you would expect of any hotel. All the furniture and decor is modern. The bed is a real king bed, very comfortable and firm. I love the pillow menu they have. You can request room service to bring up a pillow of your preference. This really made my stay comfortable. Expect nothing less than a perfectly clean bathroom, fully tiled and marble interiors. The bathroom is fully stocked with quality hotel amenities. They even provide you with mosquito repellent, which comes in handy in Tanzania. To top it all off, the hotel provides complimentary wireless internet in the room. Mind you, the internet traffic can slow down the connection, but it's not too big an issue.

Overall, I would love to recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Dar Es Salaam. It's a place that will offer everything to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TravellingCarlito
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We stayed here briefly, on layover to Arusha to begin our safari. We are a late 20s/early 30s middle class American couple and generally easy to please when it comes to accomodations. Even though we spent less than 12 hours here, it was the most TERRIBLE stay we have ever had. While the staff is very nice, the room was AWFUL. We requested a non-smoking room but got a smoking room...we weren't upset by this since it was just a request. But the room didn't smell like smoke. It smelled very musty. The pillows and bedsheets smelled like they had been slept on by somebody who hadn't showered. We actually put towels on top of the pillows just to get through the night, but the sheets were still unbearable. NEVER NEVER NEVER stay here. I believe we paid $160 and stayed in room 416.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple