“Hated this hotel”

Ranked #49 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Vancouver, Canada
“Hated this hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Staff is rude, we bought buffet service and there was literally no food, manager was not delicate to handle complaints...its a pitty because the building has many pictures of African Countries history and the view to the sea is spetacular! But again, its useless if you have a school with beautiful classroom built with the latest technology if the teachers are horrible.

They should definitely train more their staff and change the way they handle their guests.

BTW, my friends mobile phone was stolen in their restaurant, and employees charged me money to take pictures for us...and guess what, nobody did anything when we reported those things!

Its also sad because its very expensive!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Suzano_BR
GTDManagement, Manager at Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to leave your feedback. Feedback is a very important tool for us to work on areas that need our attention, and let me assure you that we are committed to initiate immediate steps to correct the area highlighted.
Dear Guest,

The Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam is known for its high levels of guest satisfaction and we would certainly use your feedback to take the right steps to prevent a reoccurrence. Please do accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. Meanwhile I would be happy to contact you to take things forward if I may please have your details

thiru.raja@goldentuliptanzania.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lusaka
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We staryed there for 3 nites and loved it! Great service and friendly staffs! Far from the city hassle and chaos....very handy! The hotel is very clean and everynight there's chocolates on your pillow!. The view from our room is amazing...overlooking the Indian Ocean! Easy access to transport as well...

I will definately go there once again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniel J
GTDManagement, Manager at Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam and taking out your valuable time to share your thoughts. We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful experience here.

At Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam, we always strive to provide our guests a memorable stay with personalized services and are glad that we could exceed your expectations.

We would be privileged welcoming you back at Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam always

Regards,
Thirunarayanan Raja
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

When I arrived in the morning there was no power at reception so I couldn't check in. I was nonetheless given a room where the AC was working. About and hour later the power in the whole hotel went down which meant you couldn't see a thing in the bathroom and the rooms got very hot and sticky very fast - I felt like I couldn't breathe properly. The power was back on temporarily over night but off again the next morning so we moved to a different hotel.

Even when the power was working, the wireless was not.

The safe wasn't working at first and I asked for help which came but when he couldn't figure out the problem didn't return for ages by which time I had figured it out myself.

I accept that the infrastructure is not of the same standard as in Eirope for example but at $170 a night that just not acceptable.

The location and the pool are great though. Right on the coastline with fantastic views.

• Stayed January 2013

Travellers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I recently stayed at The Golden Tulip and I had a great experience overall.

The rooms were nice, comfortable and with great views! The personnel was really friendly, helpful and they always tried their best to make our stay pleasant. I specially enjoyed our lunches at the Sanaa restaurant, fantastic food and again excellent service!
I truly recommend the hotel to anyone else going to Dar es Salaam.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ana G
GTDManagement, Manager at Golden Tulip Dar Es Salaam, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your generous comments. We are grateful to you for the time and effort you have taken to give your feedback.

We wish to sincerely thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Golden tulip dar es salaam.

thanks

Operations manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Just come back from Dar recently visiting friends and stayed at the Golden Tulip. I just happened upon it as I hadn't made proper plans. I had a really great stay there. It was affordable and I found the staff very friendly. Food was tasty too.

The place has a charm about it which is very attractive and the pool and views are absolutely stunning.

There is some development working going on, but I bet it'll be even better when it's all finished. Really looking forward to going back! Miss you guys!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jay S
Dear guest

thanks

Operations manager
Bangkok
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My colleague had booked this hotel because he knows the owner; I was a bit apprehensive because I had read some of the not so good reviews and thus would never have stayed at this hotel. I arrived around 21hh, and my worries were confirmed when there was nobody at the entrance to get my luggage, and the female receptionist wanted that I pay the 3 nights in advance. What if I would get a bad smelly room? I refused to pay even 1 night in advance but told the receptionist to take a copy of my credit card, now what happened, she took it and put it in an envelope which she would deposit in the hotel’s safe. Of course I refused and just walked to my room, 2 flights of stairs up because the only elevator seems to be out of order since years. One evening I came to my room and found 2 mechanics working on the air-condition. When I asked how much longer the works would take they honestly answered that they don’t know. So down to the reception where I encountered the receptionist of the night of my arrival and requested a different room. After 5 minutes waiting in vain for a positive response with room number (the occupancy was about 20%) I exploded. One of the managers saved the situation, I got a room, my belongings were transferred, and as compensation I was offered a free dinner at the restaurant where I was the only guest. One of the main shortcomings: There is no gym.

After all the negative now the positive: The setting is great with a fantastic panorama view to the ocean and the distant skyscrapers of Dar es Salamm, the pool is gorgeous, the garden well kept, the vast lobby lofty and with a nice breeze. The rooms are spacious and clean, for the shower one stands in the bathtub, beds are king size, bedding comfortable and clean, excellent wireless internet reception (though not for the Apple Air of my colleague), breakfast and dining room are on the 3rd floor with the amazing view, breakfast is moderate but sufficient for everybody’s taste. The staff at breakfast, dining and in the lobby are very friendly and attentive. Taxis are always available and it is a scenic and very short drive to town.

After my initial stay of 3 nights I left for Lake Victoria but back in Dar I returned to the Golden Tulip, it has charm and a view difficult to beat. True the hotel is falling short of it’s potential, it could be a great hotel but it's definitely one of my favourites.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kilovolt500
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I arrived October 17 1am, The man at the reception offered me a room was very smelly due to chemicals of Pest control and the AC was not cooling so when i complained he offeres another room and it was also smelly then i asked to get refund as 3 nights were fully paid but he insisted to deduct complete 1 night, take my advise dont think of staying at that hotel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business