“Breathtaking Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 99 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Longwood, Florida
“Breathtaking Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

We spent several days at the Best Western Coral Beach Hotel during Christmas/New Year's 2010/11. The staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. Rooms were very nice, mattresses were very comfy. The best part of the hotel was it's amazing location. It is located on a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean. Most evenings we enjoyed the sunsets with some refreshing cocktails. Will definitely stay here next time we're in Dar.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Yo_Eagles
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
We are thankful to you for staying at Coral Beach Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam.

Such positive reviews encourage us to set higher standards of hospitality for our patrons and motivates us to go that extra mile to satisfy our esteemed guests.

We were delighted to read your acknowledgment on our code of practice which is designed to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness in our rooms.
We are and will continue to strive to improve on the standard of service.

I sincerely hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel in the near future.

Santosh Kumar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

We were headed for our great safari adventure and decided to stop through Dar for a few days to check out the local sights. We found this hotel on the internet and were very impressed. It was centrally located, approximately 40 min from the airport without traffic. All the rooms have a magnificent view of the ocean. Our room was state-of-the-art with every amenity we could possibly imagine, equipped with all the essentials including a wall-mounted plasma screen; plenty of english-speaking channels; modern decor; safe big enough to fit my computer; complimentary wireless, walk-out balcony; fridge and yes, hot showers. My personal favorite was the high tech computer desk with the built-in data ports, making this user friendly for business as well as non-business folks. The food was delicious and extensive. We spent most mornings sitting by the ocean, enjoying the coffee and full-service authentic breakfast buffet. The fruit was amazing and fresh-cut every morning!

The hotel is conveniently located, navigating through the city center towards the outskirts where we encountered all the beautiful embassy residences along the coastline. We were received by hotel security at a gated entrance, which provided us with some sense of reassurance of safety. There were plenty of places to visit if you want to eat and shop. You can get to most places by taxi, which cost around 5000 shillings, or $3.5 USD.

Yes, we eventually made it to the Ngorongoro and Serengeti safaris, and it was memorable... to say the least. We decided to spend a few extra days at the Coral upon our return, to celebrate New Years. They throw a great event, including live music, dinner and dancing. The fireworks display was unforgettable. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Such positive reviews encourage us to set higher standards of hospitality for our patrons and motivates us to go that extra mile to satisfy ouy esteemed guests.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2011

Great location. Staff very friendly. Food was excellent. Best part was the mattress...sealy posturpedic...makes a big difference. Management excellent. Great place to relax and a very good home base especially those who wAnt to go on safaris. Highly recommend for famalies.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

My wife and I stayed at Coral Beach Hotel during December of 2008. The staff was amazing. Everything that we wanted from a hotel. Excellent food, drinks and nightlife!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

I spent about 6 weeks total at the Coral Beach last Dec-Jan, and am back again for another stay.

Since I've been gone, the hotel has become part of the Best Western family, and while I would expect this to elevate things, for some reason the hotel feels a little more shabby than my last visit. There is nothing specific... just that the pillows don't seem as nice, the breakfasts are a little less appealing, the reception desk has been renovated and doesn't look as nice. The grounds however, look great-- they've done a great job of landscaping.

I think the thing that bothers me is that while to rooms look great when you enter, some of the little details are off-- for example, the phone by my bed is dying, 2 lamps in my room don't work, and the shades on the door and window can be hard to open and close.

That said, this place is still miles ahead of the Colosseum, where I spent 2 nights last year and had to escape!

If you are thinking about Coral Beach, there are a few things to note:

-- the rooms on the pool side of the new wing are actually much nicer than the ocean side, as they have a balcony and a stronger wifi connection.

--the small pool is lovely, but fills up with children on the weekends. I had been looking forward to a lazy weekend afternoon at the pool, but there were 15 kids splashing and screaming. Great if you are here with your kids, not as appealing if you are a solo traveler who wants to swim a few laps or lounge with a book.

--the rooms never get completely dark at night because the shades are slatted and there is light that comes in from the frosted window in the bathroom. I sleep with an eye mask to block out the light.

--The bathroom has a slatted sliding door-- fine for the solo traveler, but it might make people on a romantic getaway a little uncomfortable since you get visual privacy, but not from sounds or smells...

-- the desks have a powerstrip that takes a variety of plug types-- a nice touch as my computer has an american plug and my cell phone, the 2 pin euro plug.

--use the in-room safe. I had some cash and my american cell phone go missing last time I was here. I didn't alert the management since I only discovered that they were missing after I'd left. This could happen anywhere, and it was a good reminder that I need to be a little more careful.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2010

Divonne-les-Bains, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

I booked a standard room which was a big disapointment - rather shabby, leaking taps, etc. and as I had 5 days of work combined with a weekend I moved to a superior room the next day which was quite lovely. Stunning views over the indian ocean, nice finishes to the room, free wireless internet . This hotel is great if you like a quiet place to relax and/or work. The pool is reasonably sized for a good swim, the gardens are well maintained and the terrace by the sea has the best view for sunsets. The staff were very friendly and helpful - but do not expect the polished service of Sea Cliffs or the Kempinsky.
I would recomend this hotel for both business and holiday travellers .

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2010

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

I am please to say that the service I recieved from Coral Beach Hotel was very good, I was recieved by attentative staff who got me to my room quickly. The room was very nice and big, with everything I needed which made my stay even better. The Hotel is well placed/located with awesome views out into the bay especially in the evenings. I especially liked the angles of the architecture and lanscaped surrounds taking into account the outdoor bar, relaxation area and pool location which was overlooked by the dinning area - very nice.

Dinning at Coral Beach Hotel offered a variety to cater for all types which was also fab.

I would definitely return and would recommend Coral Beach hotel to colleagues and friends. Thanks

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2010