“Feels like a holiday resort - but working”
Review of Sea Cliff Hotel

Sea Cliff Hotel
Ranked #3 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Really nice hotel with excellent staff. Very helpful and friendly. Overlooking the sea, my room was very nice.
The shops/restaurants next door are handy.
The bar in the hotel is vey friendly.
The breakfast at the Sea Cliff is excellent - by the sea with the birds hopping about the place - had to remind myself i was in Dar to work.

Would definitely return with my family.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank topdadLondon

Reviewed 4 May 2011

I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Dar Es Salaam for business. I lost my wallet with my credit cards in a taxi and the hotel manager went out of her way to assist me in retrieving my wallet. The business centre was excellent in services varying from printing, scanning, and FedEx-ing documents for me. The rooms were nice and spacey with a large desk and enough space to work, especially rooms on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Bas K
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Sea Cliff for nearly 3 weeks in March and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Location - absolutely stunning, literally on the sea cliff's edge at the top of the peninsular, ok it takes a little longer to drive up there after working in the city but for me it was well worth while to 'escape' and enjoy the wonderful view over the ocean. It is also next to a small shopping complex so you can safely pop out for bit and pieces and eat at other restaurants, the sea food one you can actually charge to your room.

Food - the best breakfast of all the hotels I have stayed in in Africa, enjoyed overlooking the sea, it can't be beaten! The restaurant by the sea is friendly at night and often has a band - you can be as social at the bar or just sit watching the ships, lovely.

Hotel staff - extremely friendly and I found them very caring. I suffered for 24 hours the after affects of eating shell fish in town and the staff were amazing, 'Nanna' looked after me, popping in occasionally to see if I was ok and I was ushered to the hotel Doctor who made sure I had everything I needed for a speedy recovery.

Overall, a lovely tranquil place to stay in crazy Dar, the hotel also was very accommodating when I popped off to Zanzibar for the weekend (as long as you give them advance warning), by checking me out and looking after my large suitcase for 2 days without a problem. I would highly recommend the hotel... it's just a shame I didn't have much time to enjoy the gorgeous swimming pool!

Room Tip: Bring a laptop to take advantage of the free wifi.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank E_on_hols
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I have being staying at the Hotel Sea Cliff on and off for the last three years. The service and staff are excellent. On my last stay check in and check out was fast and friendly. The room was very comfortable ,and the food was great. The Management team are some of the best in the business!! When in Dar Es Salaam the Sea Cliff Hotel is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The Indian Ocean overlook from the restaurant and bar is fabulous. Breakfast watching the sun rise with the dows, fishing boats and sailboats is a memorable experience as is the sitting cliff-side when the waves come crashing into it--watch the spray and splashes though if you are adverse to getting a little damp. There is a secluded meeting area just over the main area which is excellent for an after dinner discussion over coffee or other beverages. The pool is very nice and the cliff side location is magnificant. Many of my colleagues and I have stayed here many times over the past ten years and it has become our home away from home in Dar es Salaam.

Room Tip: Request ocean view second or third floor
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2011

When is a hotel not a hotel? When you've booked AND PAID FOR a room that isn't available when you arrive.
We've just returned from a month long holiday to Africa. In the time spent there everything went loke clockwork. We found the people very friendly and accommodating and left with fond memories of a wonderful vacation. Except for the Sea Cliff Dar es Salaam.
We travelled to Dar es Salaam from Cape Town and were looking forward to a bit of luxury before heading off on the southern and northern safari routes and based on the reiews the Sea Cliff seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Tanzanian immigration could appear daunting to some people, but if you are patient and retain your sense of humour it is highly entertaining, so we transferred to the Sea Cliff in high spirits, arriving around 8:30pm.
Instead of being greeted by the usual check-in paperwork we were asked to take a seat. Nothing unusual there, it's common practice to be seated while check-in procedures are completed. However, when the usual towel and drink didn't appear I was suspicious. Mt suspicions were confirmed when we were introduced to the manager (Malek - sorry if the spelling is incorrect). He informed us that some people had not checked out and they were in our rooms. Rooms that, as stated, were not only confirmed but also paid for.
The "story" (his word, not mine) was that one of their group had food poisoning (we believe from the hotel) and could not move out. While we're highly sympathetic to anyone who suffers from food poisoning (and we believe that to be true), Malek's demeanour gave him away - he was lying.
I fully expect the hotel's management will respond to this post to rebuke me, but consider this. Check out time is 12:00 and they would have known then that these people weren't chacking out. Despite that they continued to check people in all day until they were full (or were they?) in full knowledge thatpaid guests were due to arrive later. I also find it highly unlikely that they were "completely" full - more likely they didn't want to upgrade us at no cost. In addition they did nothing to remedy the problem prior to our arrival, not even to advise our ground agent.
By the time they tried to find us alternative accommodation (after our arrival) any viable alternative accommodation was unavailable. We eventually found accommodation at a hotel of a far inferior standard and transferred there with OUR ground agent. Not happy.
By all means take your chances with the Sea Cliff. Me? Next time it will be somewhere with staff I can trust.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank GnAW480
HotelSeaCliff, Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2011

It is always very disappointing to read that a guest has not enjoyed their stay with us. We remember you both very well and must first and foremost apologise for not being able to accommodate you on arrival.

The story from Malek, our Duty Manager, was in fact true and it is very unfortunate that you interpreted his demeanour as otherwise. A guest had contracted severe food poisoning from eating elsewhere in Dar es Salaam and was so ill that we couldn’t move them. We gave them a late check out in the hope that they would recover but they were not feeling any better by the afternoon. We were also fully booked that day but took the decision not to contact you because we nearly always receive late cancellations so genuinely thought we would be able to accommodate you in a different room.

As luck would have it, all of our bookings turned up so we had no other option than to find an alternative hotel for you. We promise that we would have been delighted to give you an upgrade had this been possible and moving you was our last possible recourse.

We found other accommodation nearby on the Peninsula but obviously realised this was not to the same standard as Hotel Sea Cliff. As such, we gave your agent a complimentary night at the hotel so that you could be refunded immediately and compensated in some way.

On behalf of the whole team here at Hotel Sea Cliff, I can only apologise for your experience and hope that you still left Tanzania having had a great holiday.

Michelle, Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed 25 January 2011

As I write this review, my memory of how BADLY I was treated is as clear and PAINFUL as if it had all taken place late December 2010. I am the Lead Trainer for a USG funded project located in Washington DC. Our project sends many of our colleagues to this hotel every year from all over the continent of Africa and United States.

It was my first time to Tanzania and I was excited to stay at the Sea Cliff Hotel as many of my colleagues raved about the rooms and view. The view from my room was blocked by the straw roof but the room was very nice! What they did NOT warn me about was the management staff. I have never been in a hotel where the General Manager, Day Manager and the Housekeeping Manager were so unprofessional! It is beyond words:

I was excited to go souvenir shopping my first weekend in Tanzania and therefore made a list of all of the trinkets I wanted to buy as well as for whom I wanted to buy them. After writing the list I estimated the cost of these souvenirs based on what my colleagues advised, folded the list in half and placed this amount in Tanzania Shillings in the folded list. The next morning as I was running late I left this list where I placed in the night before -- on my bedside dresser, under the TV remote. Meanwhile, my colleague and his girlfriend were on their way to Zanzibar for the weekend. As they were checking out of the hotel for the weekend they asked if they could place their bags, laptops and other valuables in my room and requested I place their valuables in my safe. As I travel with him quite often I had no problem accommodating this request. I handed him my room key and requested he leave it at the front desk so that I may pick it up after work. After a half day in the office my colleague dropped me off at the hotel and I ran upstairs excited to grab the list and go shopping! Imagine how far my heart dropped when I realized the list was missing, as well as the money. I searched everywhere. Surely, nobody would steal this money, nor could it be mistaken for a "tip" to the cleaning staff as it was folded in a shopping list. After 30 minutes of searching I determined it was indeed gone. I immediately contacted the front desk to make an official complaint. This happened December 10, 2010. The Day Manager, at first, was very apologetic and promised to get to the bottom of the issue. An hour later he, a security guard and the Housekeeping Manager knocked on my door. The Housekeeping Manager did not greet me but instead, literally pushed my door open and walked in my room and appeared to be "searching" for something. When I asked her what she was looking for she without making eye contact and still "searching" asked "Did you give your key to anyone today?" I stated yes I had and explained why. I then pointed out the luggage my colleague and his girlfriend left behind and explained that I put their laptop and other valuables in my safe. When I inquired as to why she was asking me this she THEN looked at me and said "Well how can we be sure your colleagues didn't take the money. We saw them enter your room on two different occasions with the room key you gave them." I was irate! How dare she! I explained to her that 1. The amount of money taken from the room would have a value of less than $25 in USD when converted from Tanzania Shillings and that the valuables my colleague and his girlfriend left IN MY ROOM were worth 40x that as again he left his laptop in my possession and 2. I travel with him all the time so if he had to borrow money, he would have asked with no issue. She was silent for a minute -- the Day Manager nor the security guard came into the room nor did they say anything. As she exited the room she said they would further investigate. A WEEK WENT BY! During this week not ONE manager contacted me with an update. I called the Day Manager several times. He informed me that the General Manager was in the hotel but could only see me between 9 - 11a as she is very busy. I explained to him over and over again that I was hosting a professional training and as the only trainer these were impossible hours! I requested to meet with her during my lunch hour or even early afternoon before she leaves the hotel. These requests were always met with "She can see you at 9am or 10am..." Never once did I meet the elusive General Manager. Never once did the Day Manager apologize for the incident. Never once did the Housekeeping Manager apologize nor provide a "report" of her findings during this "investigation." I left December 17 not only without my money but without so much as an apology for the inconvenience of the entire incident. This is not about the amount of money taken from my room but about the way the management handled the situation. Avoiding a customer that is paying $187/night and staying for two weeks .. a customer that works for a project that provides this hotel with consistent guests all year long .. a customer that hopes that they realize how much future business they lost because they refused to handle the situation in a professional manner.

Also, the ATM in the hotel -- BEWARE! My colleagues and I have experienced money not being dispensed from the hotel BUT it actually being taken from our accounts. You can imagine the amount of trouble we had to go to through to prove to our banks in the US that YES we requested the amount but our cards were returned to us without the funds requested and thus the discrepancy. One colleague of mine kept trying over and over again thinking it was an error that would go away only to find out that this amount was indeed deducted from his account 5x!! Again, the hotel management provided no apology nor did they display any concern for this incident which personally happened to me as well during the same stay.

I do not want to end this without saying something GOOD about the hotel: the receptionist staff was AMAZING! They were accommodating, professional, tried to assist with the aforementioned situation by constantly calling the Day Manager and telling me of his whereabouts and always had a smile for me when I left in the morning and when I came in from work in the early evening. The location was convenient to my office (but so is Doubletree by Hilton), the view from the main restaurant was pretty amazing and the souvenirs I purchased in the hotel gift shop were very reasonably priced. However, even with all of this to say, not being able to trust the management staff to at least apologize and make a professional ATTEMPT to rectify the situation has put such a bad taste in my mouth that I not only took the time to write the review but have also advised management on my project and in Tanzania to NOT recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Dar es Salaam.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business