“Paradise in Tanzania!”
Review of Sea Cliff Hotel

Sea Cliff Hotel
Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 5 January 2011

After researching hotels in Dar es Salaam on Trip Advisor, it was a toss up between Sea Cliff and another comparable one in a nearby location. Sea Cliff won out in part for their good communication in responding to our emails. Silvery and Cecilia were prompt and helpful in providing information about the hotel. We were looking for a nice relaxing place to spend Christmas and New Years.

The whole experience was excellent from start to finish. Our check-in was efficient and professional, being greeted at the front door by a maasai doorman and directed to the reception counter. We were given a beautiful room (227) overlooking the ocean. Not only the room, but the hotel is very clean with tasteful decor. Being Christmas, everywhere was beautifully decorated for the season. The room was lovely, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom was spotless and well stocked with quality linens and toiletries. The showers were wonderful! Guests also received Christmas and New Year's gifts in their rooms.

We spent most of our day by the pool, which is very nice and an adequate size for a good swim. The pool area, overlooks the ocean and catches the sea breeze. Waiters made regular rounds offering guests food and drinks. We were impressed with how consistently clean the poolside washroom/change rooms were kept.

The hotel has two restaurants on the premises and both offer good food. Breakfast was a delicious buffet of almost everything imaginable that one would want. We enjoyed dinner buffets for Christmas and New Years, which were very nice. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Adjacent to the hotel is a small plaza with several restaurants, a supermarket, bank and shops. It offered a variety of different venues for meals at reasonable prices.

We were also pleased to see good security around the grounds and the adjacent plaza.

Overall, we were very impressed with Sea Cliff Hotel and their excellent service. We hated to leave and hope to return some time.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank we2sonseekers

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Great restaurant, very clean, It seemed like there was a casino there but I didnt go in. Seemed a little bit too creepy. Other than that everything else were wonderful. Fascinating ocean view. Not much to else to say.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank proTurk
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Here again (third time in a week) our room was not ready at 1.45 p.m. and didn't become so until 2.30, but then we were upgraded to their best suite. In 38 degree heat it's still annoying, however. This is really a business rather than a resort hotel and the clientele reflect that. Decent restaurants, not ridiculously expensive. Good pool. Surprisingly good curio and souvenir shop, not outrageously priced, if you don't feel like braving the infamous Dar traffic to visit the markets. Breakfast service very early in the morning is not great, surprisingly as many guests leave early for the airport to miss the rush hour. Rooms are quiet and have great views along the cliff and over the ocean. At these prices I rather objected to having to pay for web access to print out my BA boarding pass.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank forester99
Reviewed 19 November 2010

This is a new and improved Sea Cliff. The old hotel burned down and a new one was built. The old hotel had severe problem with mold and mildew. The new complex has upgraded the bed, the rooms, TV, bathroom, etc. and now is comparable to many other first class hotels in Africa. The bed was very comfortable, the TV worked well and the view from the ocean-facing room was fine. The restaurant provided tasty food and cold beer, although there are several other restaurants right outside the gate, so there are plenty of choices. Make sure to try the Chinese restaurant in the shopping complex across the street. The staff who catered to us during the conference were friendly and helpful. The front desk could be more efficient - but they were friendly. I haven't stayed at other Dar hotels in several years so I am not sure how the new Sea Cliff compares, but I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Steven Y
Reviewed 16 November 2010

While the hotel was OK, I had relentless problems.

The front desk staff were incompetent, rude and totally dismissive. I was prevented from leaving to catch a plane when I tried to check out at 2.30am even though I had paid my bill the day before. I was told that I had not paid enough and a list of bogus items was produced. The driver of the airport transfer was forbidden from taking me to catch my plane as I was bullied into paying charges that I had not incurred. A manager finally arrived who made things much worse and was even ruder to me. It took over half an hour to resolve-in the middle of the night!

A similar incident occured when one of my colleagues tried to check out.

I also had problems checking in when I was told that I was in the Sea Cliff Village. The room was disgusting! It was in a compound in the shopping mall. It was malodorous, tiny and lacking any natural light and cost $170 a night. I refused to accept it and asked for a proper room in the hotel. I was told that this would cost $350 a night!!! The place is a farce!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank speakoutLondon_UK
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We stayed for 2 nights and found this a big, impersonal, mainly business-oriented hotel. We stayed in a lovely room, however we found the service inferior. Some staff do not understand English adequately. The food was truly international - steaks, burgers, etc. but nothing that represented local dishes. There was a lack of towels available in the pool area, and again, service was slow. A disappointment. Nice location. We took a guided tour around Dar Es Salaam which was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travellers21
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Modern hotel in Dar , very comfortable , reasonable rates and good food.
Good pool , auto bank , competent friendly staff. All mod cons.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple