“Lovely!!!”

Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely!!!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel is like an escape, a beautiful boutique hotel located in probably the best part of the city. If you are here for business, nothing can beat its location.

The rooms have a breathtaking view of the ocean, the rooms are clean, neat and very functional. The Wifi is great. The hotel has a bar, restaurants, pool, health club, spa and basically
everything one would need from a hotel.

My favorite was the Thai restaurant, the perfect place to enjoy a drink and some delicious food on the highest floor with amazing views of the Dar harbor.
A must visit place for all.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floor with an ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

I am delighted to know that you had a great stay with us. Its very heartening to note that you found all that you wanted at the hotel. We are a competitive business hotel in the city centre and strive hard to ensure that our services are of good quality. Glad that we managed to deliver consistently during your stay. Thank you for the gracious compliments to the Thai kitchen team. I am sure that they shall be very pleased to hear the same.

Look forward to hosting your next visit to the city.

GM & Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Dar Es Salaam
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I travel extensively in Eastern and Southern Africa for work and in a hotel look for cleanliness, reliable internet and the ability to get food within reasonable speed (less than 50 minutes) through room service. Unfortunately the New Africa failed on all three counts during my stay and this applied for my 3 colleagues as well. There are plenty of cleaner hotels with better service and good internet in Dar at similar or even lower price so we'll stay at one of those next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Businesstraveller489
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay at the hotel.

We pride ourselves on our service levels and we seem to have slackened during your stay. I would like to know more about your comment regarding cleanliness. I would urge you to write to the hotel directly. It would really help us to know where things went wrong and for us to put corrective measures in place.

Apologies once again.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I an currently staying at the new Africa. I was put in room 243. After reading reviews i realized that this room is not remodeled. In fact it is small, dingy, smelly with a very dated bathroom. Do not accept this room if you stay here. The rest of the hotel is nicely remodeled and the location is great, which makes it a shame that my experience could be ruined by being placed in a room of such low quality.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank gschiche
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at the hotel.

Some rooms are yet to be remodelled. As of now we have 6 rooms in all left. Its unfortunate that one of these rooms were assigned to you during your stay. We should be renovating the same within the next month. Hopefully you will return to the hotel sometime in order for us to showcase the new rooms to you. I am sure that you will not be dissapointed.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Not bad for an African hotel but nothing special for the price. A little noisey (we wanted to sleep early to get up for a 3 am flight and there was a wedding next door). Service by the pool was very slow but the pizza was surprisingly good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your short stay at the hotel. There was a small wedding celebration at a nearby area next to the Church. It was beyond the control of the hotel. As such Dar does not have strict norms with regards to noise level control and sometimes these events are a bit disturbing. I would like to state that this is not a regular occurance around the hotel and that you were just unlucky that it happened when you were staying with us. That apart, thank you for liking the service levels and for appreciating the calm of the poolside...

Hope you don't let this stay mar your impression of the hotel. I do hope that you will return to the hotel sometime.

GM & Director.
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 11 September 2013

i went there so many times in business trips, stayed for more that 4 days a time, i didn't like the place much although they did some renovations lately, the place looks good, they have done a good work, it has an ocean view but partially blocked by an Anglican church, breakfast was average, it's an Indian origins hotel so most of the food is Indian, i didn't like it actually, Saturday night they had an open buffet (Indian night with Band), rooms was well equipped, clean and comfort, service is good, pool was satisfying, Gim too.

Room Tip: choose ocean view rooms at the corner of the building to avoid looking to the church and enjoy ocean...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to note that you had a decent stay with us. Thank you for complimenting us on the renovation works at the hotel. We completed the works around early 2013 and as such have received a lot of positive comments.
Your comment on the breakfast has been noted. Most guests have liked the selection and have only had good things to say. It would be nice to know as to where we fell short. I would urge you to write to the hotel directly. Furthermore, you have stated in your review that we are an Indian brand. This is not correct. The hotel is a true Tanzanian brand and is owned by Tanzanian owners. We have been around for a while and are quite a known brand within the East African region. I have noted your comment regarding the Indian theme night dinner which is organized on Saturdays at the restaurant. It is an elaborate affair with a host of Indian dishes and usually caters to a large Asian diaspora thats residing in Dar es Salaam. We do have another restaurant on the rooftop serving the best Thai food in the city. That apart , the lounge bar also serves some excellent grills and short eats. Its unfortunate that we could not suggest this selection to you whilst you were at the all day diner.
I do hope that this experience does not mar your impression of the hotel. You do seem to have liked the hotel overall and I would hope that you return sometime soon.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,
E mail: gm@newafricahotel.com
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I used to stay in this hotel from the last 3 years. Must have stayed over half a dozen times. Now with the renovation it is even a greater place to stay. By centrally located for business purpose. The rooms are really spacious and has all the works. However the toilets are a bit small. Very nice view of the Dar port. Recommend to take the sea view at higher floors. May be 7 or higher.

The newly done up bar on the first floor is really nice. The grill is superb! Wifi is a bit slow but may need a cable in some rooms.at $150/-iris great value for money

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

On behalf of the team I would like to thank you for your loyal patronage of the hotel. The team would be very pleased to hear your positive comments on the hotel and the service. I am glad that you like the renovated avatar of the hotel. Your positive comments on the Onyx lounge bar are well received. It is quite a place for an evening sundowner. Sorry about the fact that you found the bathrooms a bit small. We had limitations related to structure when we commenced renovations. We could not physically alter the space in the room. We shall address this in the new wing that we are adding above the casino.

Looking forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I always enjoy staying at New Africa. It has almost become my home away from home.
I visit Dar quite often through work and always ask my company to book me here. The staff is so welcoming, remembers my name and my preferences.

The ocean view from the room is beautiful, such a welcome change after the crazy traffic on the streets. The ocean makes one feel so relaxed. The bar is a great place to meet with friends and the African band plays lovely tunes all evening. If you are Asian you must try the biryani at the downstairs restaurant. Their pastas & Thai food is great as well.

Room Tip: Don't forget to spend a few hours relaxing by the poolside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Glad that the hotel exceeded your expectation once more. Our team prides itself on customized guest service and I am glad that they ensured that you were taken care of again. Your compliments on the food at the Thai restaurant and the Biryani at the Bandari Grill are well received. I shall share the same with the kitchen team and am sure that they will be very pleased with the feedback. Nice to hear that the friday band at the Onyx lounge was enjoyable. Our lounge is a very relaxing place to unwind and have a drink post a hectic day in the city traffic....

Look forward to your next visit at the hotel. See you soon.

Shanker Narayanan