“Run-of-the-mill”

Ranked #16 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
“Run-of-the-mill”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

To be honest, this is a hotel that would register as 3 out 10 for me. The only goods things are the view from my room, food being ordered through room service and the location the rest is pretty ordinary.

The rooms are okay sized, the beddings leave a lot to be desired and the service in general is non-existent.

Okay for a short stay, but would look for alternatives.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the harbor. 4th floor and above. Please note you will be needing an alarm...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor. Your feedback helps us get better in terms of guest service. I am sorry as we could not meet your expectations during your stay at the hotel. We have taken corrective training and will make sure your next stay is perfect.

Siddharth Chaudhry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Good service. GREAT Thai restaurant upstairs. Good rooms. Well situated relative to the harbour and fairly good location relative to airport (remember that Dar's traffic is hectic, so this is a relative to others statement)

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Greetings!!!

Thank you for this wonderful review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Pune, India
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed there during June 2012 for about two weeks. Reasonably priced and has decent infrastructure viz. Well equipped business centre and meeting rooms. Comfortable rooms and most of the staff is Indian so felt pretty much at home.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit to Dar.

Please feel free to email us all your special requests on reservations@newafricahotel.com

Chennai
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Was in Dar-es Salaam during early December 2013 on a business trip, along with two of my colleagues. Our associates in Dar es Salaam had booked me in at the New Africa Hotel since it was just a 3 minute walk to their offices, in the heart of the CBD. I had stayed here previously in 2011, and had even reviewed it on Trip Advisor, where I had given a favourable review, except for the lack of free wi-fi...but the experience this time was different enough to warrant another review.
The check in process took a bit of time. Even though we reached the hotel only by about 4:15 pm, we were told that our rooms were not ready and had to wait for almost an hour to get to our rooms. However, any disgruntlement I felt was banished by the phenomenal view out of my room window- the whole Dar-es-Salaam port and harbor in front of me, with the magnificent old German (Lutheran) church in the foreground was indeed a sight to behold! If you are staying here, you must ask for a room with a view of the church and the harbor. The only sad part is that the windows were sealed!
The room was spacious and comfortable, with a big king size bed, a single couch with a small coffee table, a big work desk with an ergonomic office chair, a flat screen TV, minibar, coffee and Tea making facilities, and free wi-fi (the last time around, I had to pay $6 an hour!) The wi-fi was pretty slow and the signal strength was very inconsistent, so I found it very difficult to log on to my office server and download my mails.
The complimentary breakfast on the first floor has a good spread of Asian and African choices. There is a casino attached to the hotel, for those who like to have a roll.

The check out process was also time consuming, with the staff seemingly clueless about how to take a printout of the bill. When my friend said that he is leaving and does not want a copy of the bill, they insisted that he should take the bill and go, otherwise there may be "problems" later! We ignored this "advice" and left without collecting his final bill anyway!

Overall Ratings: Location- Excellent, Check in & Check out- Terrible, Other Service- Good, Breakfast- Very good, Wi-fi- Poor, Value for money- Average.

Will not stay there again unless I am on a short trip and have to be near the CBD; otherwise there are excellent hotels near the seaside with similar rates and better service. The great view from the room alone cannot compensate for all the other irritants!

Room Tip: Take harbor facing rooms on the higher floors for a great view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bat31
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am glad that you liked the hotel services including breakfast, room amenities, restaurants and Bar.

I am sorry for the time taken during check in and check out. I promise we have corrected the same and will not repeat.

I hope you will give us one more chance to be of service.

You can email me directly at gm@newafricahotel.com

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was able to get a decent price through TripAdvisor's links to booking agents. I normally stay in a budget guest house in Dar but was looking for something a bit nicer this time. Normally "a bit nicer" can break the bank in Dar es Salaam.

The hotel was clean, well air-conditioned (important in Dar), with comfortable bedding and good toilets and showers. My room was mosquito-free and had a beautiful view of the harbour.

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable, helping me locate several shops I needed to find. The transport to and from the hotel was friendly and comfortable in a Toyota minivan, and charged at a fair rate compared to local taxis.

The bar/lounge and restaurant on the first floor had great food (albeit at typical hotel-style prices). And the Thai restaurant on the top floor has some of the most spectacular views in Dar. My favourite food was the fillet steak. I actually had it once on my first stay going through Dar and twice on my return stay through Dar. It was the best steak I've had in Dar es Salaam. And it wasn't just a fluke one time. It was all three times. Well done, staff!

I had great conversations with staff, both locals and those originally from India and other places. They were friendly and good company as I was on solo travel.

The location is good. It's right next to the harbour for those catching a ferry, and also right off the main downtown road with all of the businesses and shops you would want or need to visit in Dar.

Thanks to the staff and management for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JG L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review and thank you for praising our food and quality of service. Its not often that all the positives are highlighted in such an elaborate manner. I thank you for the same.

As for the Taxi rates, i have reviewed the same and found myself to be at par with the rate that all the other 4 /5 star hotels are charging. I even checked with the local taxis at the airport and we are only 15% more expensive. All our cars are air-conditioned and come with complimentary mineral water and newspapers and magazines. It can take up to an hour to reach the hotel from the airport and therefore all these things have been taken care of.

We play selective African music in all our cars and guest safety is our orime motive whilst pircking up guests from the Airport.

I thank you for the review and look forward to seeing you At New Africa again.

Siddharth chaudhry
Bujumbura, Burundi
Reviewed 19 November 2013

At first I would have not choosen to stay at New Africa. The area looks a bit crowded. However I founded it very useful as I could access any shops/banks in a working distance. The staff are young, caring and helpful. It is a big change from my first stay in another hotel, years back when none of the staff could barely speak English.
At New Africa, I loved the morning music when I took my breakfast.
Last but not the least, I realized that security of the residents is a top priority at New Africa! Could you believe that I forgot my watch (I bought a week earlier in Budapest) at 7pm by the swimming pool and realised at midnight that I forgot it. When I called their reception, they told me that I could come down to collect my valuable watch!!! Could not believe it my eyes.
Only for that I will come back to New Africa.

Room Tip: Choose the room on the highest floor to their great view on the sea!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

Its very heartening to note that you had such a pleasant stay at the hotel. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team members. Its great to see that all the hours spent in personnel training are paying off. Glad that you enjoyed the overall food and beverage at the hotel.
Thank you for appreciating the effort of our front desk supervisor , Ms.Diana in ensuring that your watch was kept safe once found at the poolside. I have already conveyed your compliments to her and she was overjoyed.

Looking forward to hosting your next stay at the hotel.

Shanker Narayanan
GM & Director
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were in Tanzania on vacation and spent 2 nights in Dar es Salaam before our trip to Zanzibar. I wouldn’t have opted for a better hotel. Its location is right in the centre of the city, complete with an amazing ocean view which makes you get a real feel of the beauty that Dar es Salaam has to offer.
The Thai restaurant had the most amazing sweeping views of the busy harbor. We were told the hotel is newly renovated, which shows in the complete hands on approach by all the staff of the hotel. They were ever attentive and always greeted us with a big smile & said our names (which is very rare).
The bar is my favorite specially on Friday nights and Sat nights with a band and music and the works.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

We are delighted to read your feedback. It is great to note that you had such a lovely stay with us and that the team took good care of you. Your comments on the Thai restaurant as well as the Onyx bar lounge are well received. The team will be thrilled to see your comments. Its feedback such as yours that motivates the team to do better and strive for higher levels of customer satisfaction.

Looking forward to hosting your next visit in Dar!

Shanker Narayan