“Very helpful”

Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Poole
“Very helpful”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel worked very hard to accommodate me when my flight was cancelled and the airline sent me there. I was very happy with the service I received and the facilities I accessed.

It can take a while to receive the food you have ordered in the restaurant but I am sure the helpful staff would be able to meet rushed requests if it was clear guests were in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HP1001
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this wonedrful review. i am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay and i will be sharing this review with my entire team.

We appreciate the time taken by you to submit this review and this is a huge motivation for us. We strive towards making the Hotel better daily in order to achieve the highest levels of guest satisfaction.

I have noted all points mentioned in your feedback and thank you for the same.

We are the most centrally located hotel in Dar Es Salaam with close proximity to all banks, Zanzibar ferry terminal and all government offices.

I look forward to your next stay with us.

Please feel free to write to me at gm@newafricahotel.com

Siddharth Chaudhry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I only stayed at this hotel a few nights, but I was impressed with the relatively new renovation to the room (including the bathroom). The rooms have nice big windows, a big desk to work from, and a fairly comfy bed, at least for a hotel. The bathroom, while small, had a nice walk-in shower. I knew people who stayed on the higher floors and complained about the church bells across the street in the morning, but I couldn't really hear them on the 3rd floor.

I would say I was most disappointed with the A/C unit. Dar es Salaam is very humid (especially at night) and the A/C units in the rooms don't seem to keep up or perform at all. At night and in the mornings there just seemed to be a "damp" feeling in the room and on my clothes.

The restaurants were good as well. I highly recommend the Thai restaurant on the top floor. You have a great view of the harbour. The breakfast buffet had a lot more local selections than I thought it would.

The wifi connection in this hotel is awful. Its not so bad in the lobby but you'll need to ask for a wifi booster from the check-in desk.

Overall, this would be an OK business hotel for someone on a budget.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms are great!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric D
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at New Africa Hotel & Casino!!

I am glad to note that you liked the hotel and would recommend all fellow readers regarding staying at this hotel. I am also delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your meals at Sawasdee - Our specialty Thai Rstaurant. i will convey this message to the masterchef there.

As for the AC efficiency and the dampness in the room, i believe it was due to the heavy moisture in the air as this is the rainy / winter season in DAR. However, i will still see whether we can do something to get rid of the dampness as pointed out by you.
Regarding WIFI, i am sorry that you had challenges and it is for the same reason that we are investing into a brand new wifi system which will be state of the art and will eradicate all guest internet connectivity problems. We are hopeful that this system will be up and ready within the next few weeks. In spite of the new system coming in, we have invested into WIFI routers / USB drives which we send to guest rooms upon request and this always results in better connectivity.

I am thank ful to you for submitting this review and i look forward to welcoming you back at New Africa Hotel and Casino. You can email me on gm@newafricahotel.com for all your special requests regarding room bookings, restaurant experiences / reservations and airport transfers.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 12 June 2014

that's what you will find when you firstly in touch with the check in desk ( the comfortable ) . the stuff is highly performance greeting you at all , the hotel condition give you the sympathy hospitality ,and finally the service and breakfast is very good and the room is comfortable as well .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Khaled I
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review. I am glad to know that you had a comfortable stay at New Africa Hotel & Casino.

We look forward to your next visit. We have just launched our poolside cafe which you can visit next time you stay with us and i also request you to visit Sawasdee- Our specialty Thai Restaurant on the 9th floor. This restaurant with great food also offers the best views of the stunning Dar Es Salaam Harbour. We have a Thai masterchef who will be happy to take personal care of your food requests.

You can email us all queries / requests at gm@newafricahotel.com.

Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The primary purpose of my stay was to co-facilitate a training workshop. The staff responded quickly and efficiently to a wide variety of requests for meeting room set up, changes and special requests. They were always smiling and friendly and they followed up to check on our satisfaction. The meeting rooms were attractive and clean, though it would have been nice to have windows and natural lighting. The refreshment breaks were provided on time and the food was very good and plentiful.

I also enjoyed the meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffet selections and the dinner menus in both the first floor restaurant and the ninth floor Thai restaurant had wide variety and the cost was reasonable.

When one of our team members experienced a personal emergency, the staff went above and beyond to help us resolve the situation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a direct view of the harbor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul P
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014

Karibu,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I will be sharing the same with my entire team. We are glad that you liked all the hotel services. We are taking lots of small initiatives to make sure all out guests are happy and their stay is memorable at New Africa hotel.

I am also glad that you liked the hotel food. We have a wide variety of buffet food on display and our chefs who have come from various parts of the world, take a lot of pride in all the meals that they prepare. We try and keep all the cuisines as authentic as possible.

I hope the team members who faced an emergency are in a better state of health and we wish them a safe trip back home.

Thank you very much once again and i hope to see you at New Africa Hotel & Casino shortly.

gm@newafricahotel.com
birmingham
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Brilliant location. Right in the heart of dar. Staff are very friendly and food is amazing. I would recommend this hotel to all travellers who wish to stay in dar. This is perfect value for money. Nice chic bar with live music in a friday and great views and food in the top floor thai restaurant.

Ideal city centre hotel and ferries to zanzibar depart from a stone's throw distance.

• Stayed May 2014
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad to note that you liked the hotel services. I will share this feedback with my team immediately and this will act as a huge motivation for all of us here at New Africa Hotel.

Please feel free to email us all your special requests at reservations@newafricahotel.com.

We look forward to your next visit to Dar.

kind Regards,
Siddharth
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Since my last stay they have added a very expensive reception area but have nor spent any money solving the problem with dampness.
They have air fresheners fully active on all floors to hide the smell of damp.
In my room there was water on the tiles as you enter and several times I slipped. The room and bedding smelt and felt of dampness.
The room had a great view of the port BUT the 5.30 wake up from the singing in the church right next door was really not welcome.
The breakfast is excellent with a very wide choice
The Thai restaurant was very disappointing
They have a new Onyx lounge with a nice range of snacks and drinks BUT as it is a closed in place I didn't stay long due to them allowing smoking in there.
I will be trying somewhere else next time

Room Tip: choose a room on the opposite side from the sea unless you like being woken up at 5.30 to 6am in the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry for not being able to deliver a perfect guest experience.

I hope you will give us one more opportunity to prove ourselves. I have taken note of all points raised by you in the detailed feedback provided. I am sorry once again and will make sure the same is not repeated.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at New Africa Hotel last week. I was very impressed with the service and the state of security of the rooms. The corridors to the rooms have security lock, only accessible to guests who have room keys. This is commendable in these days of terrorism.

The rooms are up to 4 star standard, though the towels are well worn out. The Thai restaurant on the 9th floor serve authentic Thai food, incredible to find one in Africa. I was told the Thai chef was on holiday but I can say that the trainee did a good job as a substitute chef. I only caught the difference when I asked for dessert 'sago', it wasn't as Thai as I thought.

I've read in some reviews regarding the noise from the nearby church at 5 AM, but this did not bother me, this is third world environment, I'd probably expect it in Geneva or Anchorage!

I was disappointed with the booking information, the room rates in the comparative listing was different from actual rate. The information should be consistent. Caveat, the wifi in the rooms are rather weak and oscillating. I had difficulty finding a restaurant that serve a la carte lunch in Dar, I certainly need to do better research next time.

Room Tip: The rooms on the sea side has a spectacular view of the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Hector J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay and we look forward to seeing you at New Africa hotel shortly. I am also glad that you liked our food and would recommend our specialty Thai Restaurant - Sawasdee to everyone.

I am sorry for the rate disparity and will make sure the same is not repeated for your future trips.

You can email us your special requests and future room bookings on reservations@newafricahotel.com

Thank you very much once again for your review.