Peacock Hotel Limited
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
US$360
US$139
US$195
US$189
Hotels.com
Hotel Slipway(Dar es Salaam)
US$175
US$165
US$213
US$130
US$127
US$108
Hotwire.com
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$268
US$65
  • Breakfast included
Harbour View Suites(Dar es Salaam)
US$158
US$118
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewson wednesdaysthird floorclear signagenew winglive bandconvenient hoteldepending on trafficcentral darpool barlong flightchecking outrooms are spacioustanzaniaferry
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed for 1 night between our flights from Zanzibar to Dar and back home from Dar-es-Salaam to Istanbul and then Moscow.

Hotel looks posh and modern on the outside - all blue glass and metal. Outdated Asian luxury inside. No airconditioning in the corridor. Luckily it worked in the room, but as soon as you go out into the corridor it's like sauna. The same in the elevator, which made strange frightening noises and stopped unpredictably at wrong floors.

Food in the restaurant was mediocre, one of us took fried prawns and got 6 prawn heads and three prawn tails! I had a rib-eye steak - well, the cow must have died of natural casues, and the meat was grilled to blackness in some herbs - I could not cut a single piece, absolutely unchewable. However chicken curry and prawns in white sauce were good, which other members of our groop have ordered.

Then we moved to the bar on the first floor - dark, gloomy, an outdated clinking conditioner.The barman mixed all the orders, brought red wine instead of port (though I pointed it on the wine-list)< the local wine he's recommended was watery, and it took 10 minuted for him to open it.

We trieds to move to the bar on the 7th floor where you can smoke. It is open-air, hot, a small room with 5 tables, a coffee-machine a,d some drinks (beer, soda, etc. No strong drinks). The tables were covered with remnants of food and drink from the coffee-brake (a seminar was taking place nearby). No magnificent panoramic view, as promised - just few semi-built office buildings!

Disappointed we went to have some rest before our 3.am. fllight. No way - traffic noises are too loud, curtains too thin, bathroom is disgusting, with chipped floor tiles and weak flow of semi-warm water.

Do not recommend it even for a one-night stay

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AllaMoscow
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Had a good very experience, and the quality was similar to world-class hotel.
The service is good, food is great (although costly), good wireless connection and rooms that are nice and quite new.
The location is in city center and very good for business. For leisure I'd prefer staying a little closer to the water front.

On Wednesday evenings they have "Tanzania night" - a party with great local food, live band and African dancing - highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank eranrunner
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I checked into this hotel for $85 on the promise wifi works in the rooms. The room was a bit smelly but not so horribly compared to the other places. The woodwork in the rooms, lobby, restaurant and common areas is amazing but the floor in the room is covered by ceramic tiles instead of wooded floor or carpets. The towels and the condition of the bathroom is terrible. The wifi in the room didn't work. When I reported, they gave me a cable, moved me to other room and tried everything but it all didn't help. I lost 5hrs of work that night and when I asked them to make good, they claimed the problem could be from my laptop. We tried my laptop in the lobby, wifi works and we took it to the rooms, it didn't.

The food at the restaurant has a local Tanzanian variety over breakfast e.g. Beef broth, fried beef liver, fried sweet potatoes and other international breakfast variety. Unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed with the taste. Some of their staff members and managers were not dressed in uniform and you would not know who they are when they come to ask you how you are doing. The linen in the restaurant is worn out, some burnt, bad taste and in a terrible shape. However, the staff and the management are bunch of nice people who listen to you and try to do their best. They offered to compensate me by moving me to a better room but same type and lower my rate by $10 to $75 a night. I thanked them for their offer and walked away with one night experience to check in at Sea Cliff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank fassila
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I stayed in this hotel on a business trip for one night. There was no availability in any other hotel for that night so I experimented with Peacock. The hotel was supposed to be in the mid price range, but it ended up being more like a hostel. The neighborhood is rough and room was a size of a closet. Two sides of the room were glass sliders looking into the hallway, covered by a flimsy curtain that kept blowing off as a result of the fan. Bathroom was disgusting. The rate was supposed to be 100 USD, which was not adequate considering the quality and services at Peacock. Moreover, one month later I found a mysterious charge of additional fifty dollars that eventually went back to the Peacock....after investigation, I was told this was a 'deposit'. Dont recommend the hotel unless you are looking for a shady, overpriced hostel.

Room Tip: try the Holiday Inn. Much better quality for almost the same price.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank rafrica h
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I was here for a business stay for 5 days by the end of March 2011. Rather small room, the bed was comfortable. The airco was blowing over the desk so, when working, after a while you are freezing. In the room there is no other light than the one on the ceiling, so no lamp on the desk, no on the bed stands. The internet was working OK. Old fashioned TV, not the flat screen that is shown on the website. Anyway, the website pictures are much nicer than reality is! Be prepared to have no view from the room. I was looking at a wall on a distance of about 2 meters. The food in the restaurant was terrible, don’t go there for dinner. The problem is that the area around the hotel does not look very promising either. All in all I have mixed feelings about this hotel, I would rate it 2 to 3 stars.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business