“In Dar you gotta try it”

Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“In Dar you gotta try it”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This imposing hotel is located almost centrally within Dar es Salaam on Ohio Street, a walking distance into town centre. You will meet friendly staff as well. There is a pool and guest can use the cricket field behind the hotel to jog or take a brisk walk. There is also a gym in house.The buffet breakfast is excellent not to missed and the lunch buffet offers a wide variety as well. For those who prefer the shower to the tab like me you will be disappointed to note that the shower is inside the bath tub! Overall good hotel with spacious room though you may need to wait till noon to have your room cleaned.Not far from the Julius Nyerere International Airport but leave 3-4 hours for your flight due to unpredictable Dar traffic nightmare which is notorious especially when it rains. VISA and Credit Cards accepted

Room Tip: When booking ensure you state the room type you need whether smoking or non smoking and whether twin...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are pleased to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and your compliments have been shared with the team.

We are delighted that you utilized the cricket field for walking! This is a new initiative which we launched in February this year between us and Gymkhana Club; whereby our guests can now play Golf, Tennis or utilize their grounds for walking/exercises - we have even installed an access gate from our gardens!

Whilst the shower issue will be addressed during the room renovations, we definitely let you down on the cleaning times for the room. We strive to have all occupied rooms to be ready and cleaned by 1000hrs and we will continue to do so! Please accept our apologies for the delay.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to hosting you in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night before flying out to Selous for safari. We had been delayed by 4 hours in Dubai and then had a very unpleasant hour wait at Dar airport waiting for visas in blistering heat with about 50 other people. Fortunately our chauffeur was waiting for us and whisked us to the hotel.
Staff welcomed us and we had a problem free swift check in to our room. We arrived around 9pm but should have arrived at 2 due to delays, but saw the beautiful
pool. We only used the bar but what a bar it was! Excellent beers and cocktails - just what you need after a miserable 16 hours travelling.
We ordered early room service for breakfast which came right on time.
It was an interesting take on eggs Benedict with no hollandaise but it filled a hole and set us up for the next leg of the journey!
Would have loved more time here but nevermind!
Would highly recommend for a stop in Dar.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking time to give us feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and your compliments have been shared with the team.

Our Chef Eshton has noted your review on Eggs Benedict and has already made amends!

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you enjoyed your stay in Selous!

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Good hotel, but I couldn't do my work due to extremely bad Internet access. The hotel was just blaming their service provider. They did not even try to sort my problem. I had urgent work to do but could not connect to the Internet at all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay with us.

We have noted your displeasure with our internet connection and would like to sincerely apologize for the bad experience. We have invested heavily in our IT infrastructure and even changed our providers effective from April 2014 and we are now confident that we will have sorted out this problem once and for all.

Thank you once again for the valuable feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years, and though I've tried others, I keep coming back. I find it good value for money, and since I'm not a business traveller, that is important. The central location means that in many cases you can do your errands on foot - a major advantage in Dar! I'm especially fond of the pool area and the garden - wonderful, quiet place to relax when you're only here between flights, resting before or after a long haul. Mind you, the pool can get a bit hot in the afternoon, so it's best in the morning. The rooms are spacious, the wifi in the rooms is good (and if it isn't, they'll lend you a booster), there is a sufficient choice of places to eat so you really don't have to leave the hotel at all. Breakfast is very good, try their scrambled eggs with smoked salmon - delicious! I also tried the fish restaurant on two occasions recently - very good (going on excellent!), but wait until at least 8 PM unless you want to dine all by yourself. The car rental agency by the reception will provide a driver to take you to the airport (expensive, but reliable) - recommended if you have a 5 AM flight to catch, otherwise an ordinary taxi will do.
All this being said, the hotel is showing signs of age, but I understand some of this is being seen to. The room I had on my last visit was smelly, but there was no problem when I asked to have another. I was given a choice of two other rooms, both were smelly, but less so. I understand they are putting in new carpets, floor by floor. On my wish list: Windows that can be opened, new towels in the gym/pool area (they're becoming fringed at the edges), intensive language training for the staff, and a new piano player! :)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city have more shade and there's no noise. Garden rooms, which are more expensi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to note that you enjoyed you stay with us.

I am delighted to inform you that we now have new carpets in all the rooms and this has gotten rid of the moldy smell! With regards to your wish list, we will work on all the areas highlighted and I will personally update you during your next visit.

Please let me know when you will be here next so that I can also update you on our renovation plans.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we sincerely appreciate your loyal patronage of our hotel.

Warm Regards

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Where to start! I was in DSH in July 2013 and didn't quite like it. Went back and was simply blown away by the change.

Very good location for meetings.

The rooms are different, well done, Serena spec. Spacious and well aired. Wifi and wireless connection. Still have a problem with the bathrooms having only bathtubs but that would require a major renovation on their end. However the bathroom is pristine and well cleaned. Can't fault the room one bit.

The staff are amazing. Jessica and Hussein at the front desk are amazing people. They made us feel right at home. All the staff are great.....we held a conference at the hotel as well and the cooperation from all angles was something to write home about.

The food - that's what kept me there. The food at DSH is amazing. Well done, creatively done, delicious, varied, enough - I mean, Dar has some fabulous restaurants that I've reviewed here but this time we ate at the hotel restaurants because we wanted to. The bar has a 'make your own sandwich' lunch special that seems very popular and those sandwiches are delicious.

DSH has come a long way and on the right track. I'm highly impressed and can't wait for my next stay.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Ms. Njoroge,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and your compliments have been shared with every team member!

Your comment about bathtubs has been well noted and this is one aspect that will be corrected during the renovation.

We truly appreciate your comments and the fact that you have noticed the positive changes in the property and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dar es Salaam.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed for 1 day only. Rooms are quiet clean and big. Mind the AirConditioner, it is very strong and gets very cold in less than 1 hour. Breakfast is not the best but ok. The bar area is nice. The staff were helpful in some ways but were not practical in some ways.

Dear Guest,

We have noted your comments about our breakfast offer and rest assured that we will review the offer as we aim to always exceed expectations!

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The best business hotel I've used before even in the UK, the staff could not do enough for myself and my colleague. When I needed to use the business services that normally are reserved for the more expensive rooms, the staff were so helpful and allowed me to use the printer which actually helped us to secure a new contract with our client.

When it was time to check out, the receptionist helped me to book a taxi to the airport and reassured me of everything as I think I was looking a little stressed out!

The fantastic service continued when I returned back to the office this morning releasing that I had left my USB Flash drive someone along my travels the reservations desk along with the Bar Manager really went the extra mile to help me. They found my lost USB stick, sent me the important documents and are going to return the USB by post.

Can’t recommend this hotel enough, as a western female staying for the first time in Dar es Salaam I felt very safe at all times.

The rooms were comfortable, good facilities, Wifi connection or ethernet in the rooms, bar and restaurant prices reasonable, breakfast had a great selection.

Thank you to all the staff at The Serena, hopefully I will be able to visit again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your compliments have been shared with every team member and we feel honored by your comments!

Please do not hesitate to let us know what else we can do to make your future stays more comfortable and we look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of our best and attentive service at all times.