“Very average-- there are better hotels in Dar.”

Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Average. Service was biggest issue for me-- the spa is extremely un-relaxing, I would not recommend getting anything done there. Staff seem stressed and slightly irritated by customers. IT system for in-room movies was broken. Rooms are a bit tired (particularly bathrooms) but food is known for being good.

• Stayed: April 2014
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your useful feedback about your recent stay with us

We have noted all your issues and assure you that they have received our full attention and necessary remedial measures will be instituted.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I was here three times in February and March 2014 for business reasons. The rooms are large and comfortable, although a bit dated (as is the entire hotel). Airco is OK. The buffet restaurant is good and the breakfast buffet has an overwhelming choice. It is possible to sit indoor or outdoor. Staff is friendly. All comfort that you expect in a five-star property is present.

Within two weeks I stayed here three times in three different rooms and the in-room WiFi was never working. It only worked in the lobby area. Sitting there with your laptop on your knees is the only way to handle your business, and I saw many others doing so, so it was not only my problem! Of course I know I am in Tanzania, but I think this is a shame for a high-end business hotel, even by Tanzanian standards.

The good thing is the location of this hotel. Still very close to the city centre, but surrounded by a nice and green area. It is on walking distance of the ocean. An asset is the big terrace for a late afternoon drink when returning from work, overlooking the garden, cricket field and golf course. A room facing into that direction is to be recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mianel,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback. Our hotel is blessed with a fantastic location as you have pointed out and we have recently signed an agreement with the adjacent Gymkhana club and all our in-house guests can now access and use all the facilities of club via our garden gate!

We are seriously addressing the WiFi issue and hopefully this we will be resolved within the course of this month - we regret the inconvenience caused during your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

i stayed at the hotel for a week and have to comment on few things - staff is very nice and friendly but they always have time for everything. I asked for an iron at the reception and heard that someone is coming to bring it to my room RIGHT NOW - I was waiting for 2 hours; I was in a hurry (break between business meetings) and ordered a sandwich at the bar asking how long will it take to get the meal - I heard that it should not be more than 15 minutes but in reality I was waiting for almost an hour.
On top of that, the quality of food is very average - one can get much better food, for less money in one of the top restaurants in the city.
The hotel is very clean but the housekeeping comes to the rooms at least 5 times per day and 'Do not disturb' sign does not stop them!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay with us.

We have noted all the issues that you have highlighted and would like to assure you that they have received our full attention and every effort will be made to institute remedial measures.

We sincerely apologize for the shortcomings and assure that this is not the norm especially for the service delivery issues. With regards to the food quality, our Chef Eshton has noted your comments and he will work on the recipes and food offers.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I loved staying at the Serena hotel. The rooms were huge and very luxurious and the food was excellent. Very very nice. Service in the restaurant was a bit slow, but the food was worth the wait. The bathroom was very clean. It has a pool.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have noted your comments with regards to promptness of service in Serengeti Restaurant and would like to assure you that we will work on it and institute necessary remedial measures.

Please do not hesitate to let is know what else we can do to make your futures stays' more comfortable and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dar es Salaam.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My airline was gracious enough to put me at this hotel after a day of my life was wasted due to delays and my flight turning around midway to Zanzibar. At first glimpse, the hotel exterior was beautiful and looked very Middle Eastern. It reminded me of the Movenpick hotel in Petra, Jordan. My taxi was scanned at the stop point for what I perceived to be explosive. My bags and I were also scanned before I was granted access to the hotel. I did not perceive Dar es Salaam to be unsafe but all the scanning told me otherwise. Nevertheless, upon entering, I was genuinely greeted by the staff and offered a welcoming drink. Tired but very hungry, I asked for dinner and they told me that room service is 24/7 and counts towards the food voucher I received from my airline. The service was prompt and the food was quality. My room was nice but not the palace like image I imagined based on the hotel’s exterior. It did come with free wifi which was a positive. I felt that the bathroom was average and the supplies were pretty basic for a five star hotel (shampoo, conditioner, shower cap and gel). The one negative thing about my room was the AC; it took a while for my room to get cool. Even then, it was not cold enough. Nevertheless, my bed was comfortable and I slept well. The food selection at breakfast was also great but it could have been better. Upon confirmation that I had a mid-afternoon flight to Zanzibar, I asked for a 1pm checkout and they were gracious enough to grant me my request. I have stayed in many hotels and a few five stars and I have to say that this hotel has the nicest and most helpful staff ever. I sincerely believe that they truly cared about my well-being.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay. We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and we have shared your compliments with the staff!

We have noted with concern about the problem you had with the AC in your room and this has since been fixed and is now working properly - we sincerely apologize for that.

The property will be upgraded soon and this will greatly enhance our physical product.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

A good business hotel with interesting decor. Rooms are nicely laid out as well and the buffet in the evenings is great (especially the curry). Breakfasts are decent. Well located for meetings in the city. Staff are friendly but a bit slow. The grounds are lovely as well if you take the time to stroll around.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our property and we are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have noted your comments with regards to speed of service and would like to assure you that we will work on it and institute necessary remedial measures.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Clean, nice and relaxing rooms. accomodating, honest and sincere staff. I lost my phone during the stay and realized only when i got home. I emailed the hotel and i got quick response! Thanks to the honest housekeeper Ms. Clara Bura and the guest relation manager Ms. mariagoreth for their time, patience and effort to send my phone. I have Been in diffrent hotels around the world and no matter how exquisite the hotel's facilities are, what truly tops it all, is how well the staff accomadate their guests, and at Serena Dar Es Salaam, they made me feel I AM AT HOME so im giving this hotel a 5 star rating! I will denitely look forward to stay here again!Keep up the good work and more power!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are also pleased to note that you received your mobile phone in good order and rest assured that Ms. Clara and Ms. Mariagoreth will be recognized for their outstanding response and assistance. As your have rightfully pointed out, we also believe that it is our staff that make up the hotel and we invest heavily in their welfare and training.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to hosting you again.