“Good hotel with a nice garden - Downtown DAR”

Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel
Ranked #7 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Trier, Germany
“Good hotel with a nice garden - Downtown DAR”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel on my business trip at the beginning of May as my colleague lives in the neighborhood. The hotel has a big nice garden and pool area.

I good a room upgrade and therefore my room was spacious and well equipped. The room was close to the elevator and facing the street side - but you did not hear anything. It was really quiet. The room and bathroom was a very clean - however the furnitures are a little bit worn out. The A/C is silent.

The breakfast is nice with a huge selection. You can sit even at the outside. For lunch they offer nice sandwiches.

All over all a good hotel for the money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have shared your comments with all the staff. The issue of furniture in the rooms will be soon addressed when we commence our renovations and we are all excited about this upcoming hotel upgrade!

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to hosting you again.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I only stayed here one night after staying in Zanzibar before moving on to some safari adventures. I was sick while I stayed here so didn't take advantage of any of the amenities. Did eat at one of their on-site restaurants - food was very good and HUGE portions. Since I wasn't feeling well, I just ordered grilled ham & cheese. Interior of rooms was a bit old and worn but still clean. Water pressure in the shower was decent. Wifi was a bit unreliable. Not any one significant complaint, but nothing worth writing home about either. It did feel better than the other hotel I stayed at on my way through Dar to Zanzibar the week earlier.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Monica,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about our hotel and I presume that you are now in good health.

We will soon be commencing a phased renovation of the hotel which will greatly improve our physical product both interior and exterior thereby addressing the issues highlighted in your comments.

We hope we will have an opportunity to host you again in future.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Checkin was easiest.They were so kind to send a car to airport for pickup.
I travelled last year Feb.

for vegetarians like me breakfast buffet is best,dinner has also a lot options. Cannot comment on non-veg menus. If you want go eat outside you have a lot options nearby.
evening lighting for drinks near pool was wow.
room service was great except few cases.they provide early room breakfast if you need to leave early.
wifi was fair.overall it was a nice hotel for stay.
take sea facing rooms, although they are a little costly.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Ashwani Mishra,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have noted your comments on WiFi internet and i'm pelased to inform you that we are currently installing a new system which should resolve these issues once and for all.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Average. Service was biggest issue for me-- the spa is extremely un-relaxing, I would not recommend getting anything done there. Staff seem stressed and slightly irritated by customers. IT system for in-room movies was broken. Rooms are a bit tired (particularly bathrooms) but food is known for being good.

• Stayed April 2014
SerenaHotels, Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your useful feedback about your recent stay with us

We have noted all your issues and assure you that they have received our full attention and necessary remedial measures will be instituted.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Malden, NL
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I was here three times in February and March 2014 for business reasons. The rooms are large and comfortable, although a bit dated (as is the entire hotel). Airco is OK. The buffet restaurant is good and the breakfast buffet has an overwhelming choice. It is possible to sit indoor or outdoor. Staff is friendly. All comfort that you expect in a five-star property is present.

Within two weeks I stayed here three times in three different rooms and the in-room WiFi was never working. It only worked in the lobby area. Sitting there with your laptop on your knees is the only way to handle your business, and I saw many others doing so, so it was not only my problem! Of course I know I am in Tanzania, but I think this is a shame for a high-end business hotel, even by Tanzanian standards.

The good thing is the location of this hotel. Still very close to the city centre, but surrounded by a nice and green area. It is on walking distance of the ocean. An asset is the big terrace for a late afternoon drink when returning from work, overlooking the garden, cricket field and golf course. A room facing into that direction is to be recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mianel,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback. Our hotel is blessed with a fantastic location as you have pointed out and we have recently signed an agreement with the adjacent Gymkhana club and all our in-house guests can now access and use all the facilities of club via our garden gate!

We are seriously addressing the WiFi issue and hopefully this we will be resolved within the course of this month - we regret the inconvenience caused during your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

i stayed at the hotel for a week and have to comment on few things - staff is very nice and friendly but they always have time for everything. I asked for an iron at the reception and heard that someone is coming to bring it to my room RIGHT NOW - I was waiting for 2 hours; I was in a hurry (break between business meetings) and ordered a sandwich at the bar asking how long will it take to get the meal - I heard that it should not be more than 15 minutes but in reality I was waiting for almost an hour.
On top of that, the quality of food is very average - one can get much better food, for less money in one of the top restaurants in the city.
The hotel is very clean but the housekeeping comes to the rooms at least 5 times per day and 'Do not disturb' sign does not stop them!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback about your recent stay with us.

We have noted all the issues that you have highlighted and would like to assure you that they have received our full attention and every effort will be made to institute remedial measures.

We sincerely apologize for the shortcomings and assure that this is not the norm especially for the service delivery issues. With regards to the food quality, our Chef Eshton has noted your comments and he will work on the recipes and food offers.

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I loved staying at the Serena hotel. The rooms were huge and very luxurious and the food was excellent. Very very nice. Service in the restaurant was a bit slow, but the food was worth the wait. The bathroom was very clean. It has a pool.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have noted your comments with regards to promptness of service in Serengeti Restaurant and would like to assure you that we will work on it and institute necessary remedial measures.

Please do not hesitate to let is know what else we can do to make your futures stays' more comfortable and we look forward to welcoming you back to Dar es Salaam.