“nice food and nice staff and very clean” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Television, Waitstaff
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nice food and nice staff and very clean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

been this place twice , the food so good and WiFi is very powerfull , nice place to be during the day, close to port to go Zanzibar in the middle of the city, so relaxing

Visited August 2013

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Best coffee and best service in Dar es Salaam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have lived, travelled and worked in Tanzania since 2004, and have tried most of the cafes in Dar es Salaam over the past 9 years. Mokka City sticks out, firstly due to its high quality coffee and the location in the city centre. Not even in the best hotels will you find this good coffee. Besides, the service is excellent.

For me afternoons are the best - when there are less guests (I always try to avoid the lunch hour), the low sun flows through the windows, music fills the room and you have no rush to enter the traffic jam. Visitors mix, which is cool. Tourists, backpackers from the Zanzibarboat, businessmen, embassy staff, locals, old and young. I have sat here countless times, with friends from all parts, have good coffee, surfed the net, worked and talked about the news in general. I also came in one afternoon and a dad of a friend called me to his table, treated me to ice tea, and told me of the time they worked with President Nyerere. And by this I want to say that this is unique - the blend of people, but it also means that it is an easy place to meet, as there is something for everyone on the menu and all feel welcome.

The success of this place is partly due to its manager, Benson, who is hardworking, ambitious and a good host and manager.

Absolutely a must in Dar es Salaam-

• Visited August 2013
Tallinn, Estonia
“Visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Good location, when you stay in the centre(like we did). If you need peacepuf atmosphere, chill breeze, good food and Wifi, this is it. Saw many tourist, but it didnt bother. Manager came to chat with us and we talked about the place, people etc. Recommend!

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“1 hour wait for service and plastic in my brownie”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I visited this cafe today and was not served for over one hour even though the place was not busy. Eventually going up to the counter I ordered a brownie and it came 10mins late. When eating the brownie I found there was plastic inside of it when eating it. I complained to management and was told I would not have to pay for it and no apology what so ever. They did not even replace the brownie with another desert.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Kunz1
Benso3, General Manager at Mokka City Cafe & Lounge, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
It is with great apologise that I lament this situation . My name is Benson .am the Manager at Mokka city Cafe and Lounge .I regret that this happened at my absence and the manager on duty is squarely resposible to this . Mokka city is a Signature Tanzanian Brand that is developed on clear outline principals and this is off board .

Call Me on 0789308160 so a I would apologise to and recapture this odd situation .
London, United Kingdom
“Just what I needed - great coffee and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We were so excited when this opened in June 2012, after searching in vain for good coffee in Dar es Salaam, a country that grows the stuff. Wow, now there is a an excellent and recommended coffee shop selling delicious coffee, cakes and snacks, open in the city centre of Dar es Salaam. Just what I had been searching for on my previous business trip - now I found it! The Zanzibar coffee is a special treat to celebrate with, a spicy mix with strong coffee which was delicious and memorable. My cappucino was well decorated and buzzy, with head barista Joseph Bita anxious to know how it was. The snacks (chicken sub with chips, pie) very tasty, but not cheap! The free wifi was fast and the layout comfortable with friendly and helpful staff. It improves my Dar es Salaam working enjoyment no end! Happy to go back there again a couple of times this year (Feb) to boost energy levels when working in Dar.

• Visited February 2013