“Classic Hyatt Hospitality”

Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro
Ranked #1 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
“Classic Hyatt Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I will be honest, my stay at this hotel was a direct result of fracturing three ribs on the island of Zanzibar. Long story short, I couldn't board a plane back to work or even to the US because of my medical condition (liability). The staff at this hotel was phenomenal in helping me with my recovery. The drivers took me to the hospital, carried my bags and generally treated me very well. Room service knew to not make me answer the door and took great care in making sure I barely had to move when they brought up meals.
The Indian restaurant is quite good, as are the room service meals.
Wi-fi is anywhere in the hotel and a good connection.
The manager knew I was going through something difficult and not only made me feel welcome and secure but like I had people looking out for me.
The beds are on par with every other Hyatt... wonderful.
I can't comment much on location since I was so incapacitated and unable to leave the hotel for any sightseeing.
The hotel provided what I needed and looked after me. That's the best review I can give.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Not much to choose from in Dar but this is probably the best hotel to stay in when you are passing through. The hotel itself is very pretty - public spaces are bright, beautifully furnished and very spacious. The room was lovely too - big windows,well fitted out, comfortable bed, lots of storage and counter space and very modern. Bathroom was bright and modern as well though woefully short of storage space.

So, here is why it gets only an "average" rating - the service was horrid. We arrived latish in the afternoon after flying for several hours down from the Serengeti so I decided to have a quick shower before heading down for dinner. The shower is a tad small but beautifully tiled with a large rain shower head. Problem was that the shower drain didn't drain so I almost flooded the bathroom. When we headed down to dinner, I explained the problem to reception assuming it would be addressed while we were eating - no such luck - may as well have not bothered telling them as the complaint was simply ignored.

Ok, so after a bad meal (more on this below) we head back to the room and after discovering the shower problem had not been addressed, we notice that the light bulb in one of the bedside lamps is out so, once again, we call reception. After initially having some trouble explaining myself, the person on reception seemed to understand the problem and indicated that the person who deals with these sorts of issues was in the hotel and she would contact him. Except, no one ever showed up to fix the problem.

Yes, these are small issues but indicative of a serious service issue which we again noticed when we ate a light meal at the Palm Cafe - their very casual cafe. We were not very hungry and with two more long flights over the next two days coming up, decided to eat very light - I ordered a very simple pizza and my husband a sandwhich. Both were close to inedible. To make matters worse when the waiter asked us how our meals were and we told him the food was pretty bad, he simply walked away and that was that! Service deteriorated after that - my husband had to wait about 20 minutes for a cup of tea.

I did get one of those computer generated survey emails to complete when I got home and I did complete it and raised these issues and got a personal email from the manager seemingly aghast so maybe they will address these issues but be forewarned - seemingly beautiful hotel with serious service issues and a staff that doesn't seem to care about their clientele.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SpikeVancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hyatt Regency dar from the 4th to the 8th of march. Been staying at this hotel for a couple of years now and u can see that the management is making an effort, yet some of the service needs to improve. Rooms still the same, the management should consider getting in some new softer mattresses for it's beds and allot a choice of hard and soft pillows.
The mini bar was very complete,plenty of complimentary drinking water, my room for some reason never had laundry forms, Internet speed in room was adequate. This use to be the old kempinski Kilimanjaro, hyatt just bought in. the staff are all the same,Breakfast is a good spread only not replenished on time, the dinner buffet has the same problem,( daily theme nights, Indian Arabic , Italian etc.) the hotel still has the best Asian/ oriental sea food restaurant in dar on the mezzanine quite pricey but good, level 8 bar is now closed, apparently the management wanna turn it into a BBQ restaurant, a new nightclub called rouge opens from tuesday to saturday at the hotel itself ,looks nice and posh from the outside , Neva got a chance to see it from the inside as I missed the weekends (where it's supposed to be happening ). Hotels taxi's are pricey but safe and have uniformed drivers who speak good english. All in all good property,one of the most expensive in dar but still stands a chance of improving.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed here in early January 2013, so I think it was off peak. We got a very good sea view room rate including breakfast for a very reasonable price. And I thought the restaurant prices were also reasonable. We enjoyed an excellent dinner in the Asian restaurant. Breakfast next day was also excellent. The room although not huge was very comfortable and tastefully renovated.
We also enjoyed the pool are pool area.
Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this hotel and we enjoyed our one night very much.
Only negative was that the airport arrival transfer we booked through the hotel failed to meet us despite reconfirming the booking by email with all flight details. As it turned out it wasn't a problem and we saved USD$20 by taking a local taxi which was fine.

Room Tip: Sea view room has a great view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Paphos, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

To say that this hotel is made for VIPs is to say nothing. You get this "important"feeling almost immediately. Lots of security, beAutiful restaurants, nice food, although so expensive as you are in the middle of Paris, not Dar. Bulletproof doors. But you have to be a president to be treated fairly... We came 19.00 when the check out is 12.00 noon and had to wait for the room another 2 hours. 5 min you late for breakfast and they will not let you in. Hotel is old and renovated some years ago, so do not expect perfect interiors. Next day we had leakage and a maintenance team have come to fix the problem and was stuck in the room for hours, left only when we ask for some privacy... Do visit shop downstairs - Indian guy had many interesting bargains, jewelry shop is also impressive - and this hotel has a night club, good one.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar I suppose, but do try for diplomatic section, suites are much bigger
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ElenaMarchenko
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a conference in December 2012. It was very comfortable - the rooms were spotlessly clean and modern. There are several restaurants to choose from and the food in all of them was really good. Be careful - the buffet dinner in the main restaurant on the ground floor was more expensive than I expected! I heard lots of people saying the sushi in the Oriental restaurant was worth trying.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Room rate was very expensive ; 340 USD per day. However, if you want to stay at a safe and clean hotel, this is a good choice. You will feel that the Hyatt brand is reliable also here in this city.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business