“Presents well but no guarantee of a good night's sleep”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #3 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Queanbeyan, Australia
“Presents well but no guarantee of a good night's sleep”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel's driver picked me up from the airport and was informative on the ride speaking good English. The reception staff were very helpful advising me where and when to walk safely in the hotel environs, and one lady even brought me some nail polish remover from home to save me shopping for it. The food was delicious. I asked to change the initial room I was given and that was done promptly and with no fuss. So it was very unfortunate that on my last night at the hotel, there were noise disturbances. First there was the frog from a neighboring property and then there was a dripping or whirring noise in the ceiling that neither the night manager nor maintenance person could identify or rectify.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a wing that does not have the loud frog as a neighbor!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear Janlee

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your feedback on the hotel facilities and services. I am delighted that the services offered were exceptional and the STAFF were helpful. I am also glad to learn that you enjoyed our food. We are blessed with brilliant staff who have been with us for a long time, but regular training keeps them on top of their game.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the last night's disturbances. The frogs are seasonal and we have spent heavily on fumigating our premises and our neighbours' to keep this under control. Obviously I need to look into this again for alternate solutions. The night manager reported to me about the noise, we blocked the room for a day and the maintenance staff checked the room along with the house keeping, but we couldn't hear anything. I will check on this again.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Protea Hotels Dar es Salaam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Have been staying at Protea Courtyard regularly since beginning of 2011 for stays of 6 weeks at a time and it continues to grow on me. The location is outstanding for work in CBD as there are never hassles with traffic getting to or from work. Let the other people be fooled and stay in the peninsula while you relax with a 5 minute drive to and from work. You will be on your second glass of wine while the rest are still sitting in their Land Cruisers cursing the traffic on their nightly pilgrimage to wazungu land. Besides the location, the Indian food is superb and of exceptional value. The small intimate garden area/pool surrounded by the rooms leaves one with a quaint boutique hotel feel, especially when coupled with the super friendly and efficient service. Overall excellent value.

Room Tip: If you like larger rooms, ask for larger rooms like 109, 209 and 309. 208 and 308 also have a nice...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Greg

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for being such a loyal GUEST and taking time to write your candid review on trip advisor. Reviews from regular, long staying GUESTS such as you are very important for us. We are what we we are today because of the constructive feedbacks we have received from our GUESTS and the improvements we have made thereafter.

I have shared your feedback with our TEAM and they were happy to learn that their efforts are being appreciated.

We look forward to host you again soon.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I travelled as a young lady, all by myself, from South Africa to Dar Es Salaam for business and felt very safe and at home at the Protea Courtyard hotel. Very friendly staff and excellent service. They organised a reliable taxi driver to take me to the ferry port in a few minutes. The restaurant food is delicious, try the fish masala with naan bread!! The courtyard/pool area has such a relaxed, holiday atmosphere. I spent an afternoon there reading in the sun. The hotel is close to the CBD and ferry port (for a day trip to Zanzibar). The rooms are clean and equipped with a safe, DSTV, fan, wireless internet and air-con. The showers are wonderful! Loved the personal touch: a local newspaper is delivered to your door every morning and sweets with a "goodnight" card placed on your bed in the evening. For breakfast they had a wide variety to choose from, the fresh fruit juices and fruit were my favourite! Don't forget to ask for eggs and how you want them done. Oh, they also have a business centre you can use with computers and fast internet, they however did not tell me only the first 15min are free, thereafter you have to pay. I did not know, so spent 2 hours, but they did not charge me :). I can highly recommend this clean, safe, convenient hotel.

Dear Alweri

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host you at our hotel recently. It makes me really happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the STAFF, as always, excelled in what they do - deliver unparalleled, genuine hospitality at all times.

I have taken note about the lack of communication regarding the usage of business centre computers. As of last week we have made it a policy that in-house GUESTS can use the business centre computers with internet FREE OF CHARGE, with no time limit! They only need to pay for print outs, photocopies, fax etc..

Once again, thank you for staying with us, we look forward to host you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

group General Manager
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Recently I have been travelling to Dar es salaam often for business, and I always stay at the Protea courtyard. I have also stayed at the Protea Oyseterbay, when the Courtyard was fully booked.
the pepper steak there alone is worth the visit.
I have to also say, the staff are very helpful, even when i was being difficult ( i am sometimes!).
I had forgotten to ask for the wi-fi password, and as soon as i called reception, almost instantaneously a ember of staff was sent to my room to make sure i got connected without any hitches.
The rooms are cosy, with good bedding/pillows etc. so good that i don't even need to talk about them.
my only complaint is that there were more man city fans in the sportsbar than Manchester united fans! however, i think they were liverpool fans in disguise!
for what this hotel is, it is very good

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated and I will share them with my TEAM. We don't consider anyone as a difficult customer, but as customers with different needs!

On your next visit we will arrange for some more Manchester United fans, perhaps I will join you to cheer them!

We look forward to host you again, have a nice week ahead.

Zanzibar City, Zanzibar Urban, Tanzania
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Good rate although need to be more flexible,very good food, excellent friendly and diligent staff from the front office to room services, great people, clean and spacious rooms although you need to provide for Muslim guest, like water faucet for sanitary in the toilet and praying mats that show Mecca direction. You have great service and very friendly staff. Location is great, not too far from city centre if you need to meet people and for business contacts. I did not try the pool but it looks nice. I love the whole the open courtyard like Shami or Ottoman style.
I have recommended to my others friends and hope to come back again soon.

Room Tip: Room down floor faces the fauna in the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hamoud S
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Hamoud

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our property. I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your suggestions to improve on our services.

We will work on your suggestion of including water faucet in the bathroom. We will also ensure that prayer mats are available at the reception - great suggestion!

We look forward to welcome you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Protea Hotels Dsm
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Only stayed once but was a regular visitor to the bar and restaurant which was usually good value
I think when I was staying there were renovations going on and so the room I was put in had some water problems, a very low head of pressure. Staff were apologetic but I think there was no where else to put me. I guess if I wasnt on the top floor the water pressure would have been better.

Pretty good location, you can walk to the CBD in daylight in the cool season.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Tom

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am happy to notice that you appreciated the overall ambience and the service we offered during your stay.

I apologise sincerely for the water pressure problem. I believe that a 100% satisfactory showering experience is a must for any guest and unfortunately we couldn't offer you the same. Since I dont remember any such complaint brought to my attention in the recent past. kindly let me know on your stay date?

We have installed pressure pumps in our hotel to ensure good water pressure in all rooms on all floors.

Kindly contact me directly on gm@proteadar.com and we will chat further. I would love to meet you in person and ensure that your next stay with us is comfortable and memorable.

PS:- You spoke in past tense regarding the restaurant and bar. Please do visit us to wine and dine, we still offer the same quality of food and service at the same value for money!

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have been a regular traveller into Dar-es-Salaam, and have stayed at several hotels in Dar, but I found REAL VALUE for money at the Protea Courtyard. From the booking to the checkout, everything was done with a smile. They are extremely accomodating, flexible and go out of their way many a time. At my last visit, I was asked to complete a feedback form, and what more could I tell them, but the fact that I keep opting for the Protea Courtyard time and time again, speaks volumes for itself. P.S. Very comfortable beddings ............. you sleep like a baby!!

Dear Rohit

Good day, thank you for taking time to write '' another'' review for us. It makes me immensely happy to notice that you appreciated the efforts made by our TEAM to ensure your comfort. GUESTS such as you are the reason why we are still in business, we will continue to deliver genuine hospitality at an excellent value for money. We look forward to host you again!

Protea Hotels Dsm