“Very pleasant stay for our business delegation”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #3 of 97 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Last June we stayed with a group of Dutch companies at Protea for 4 days. Everybody enjoyed the hotel's peaceful atmosphere and considered the actual courtyard as the ultimate place to have a relaxing evening after a hard days work. Also the conference rooms and the outside balcony attached to them are good quality.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Auke Boere

Good evening, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host your group for the conference in June. I am glad that everything went well and that the group was very happy with the services and facilities.

We look forward to host you again, I remain,

Yours truly,

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Our good experiences started with the hotel shuttle being on time and clearly visible. Reception procedure was handled very efficently. The TV selection allowed us to continue following the test series we wre following. Management was always visible. They even booked an ticket I required through their travel agent. Rooms of a good standard and a relaxing pool area. The return shuttle to the airport was before time. The exhibition we staged there, was well supported by the staff setting out tables and food and beverage arrangements.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alan S
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host you and your colleagues, thank you for your candid review. I will share your feedback with our TEAM.

We look forward to host you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel was quite the pleasant surprise. The "superior" room was very nice and the inner courtyard of the hotel was a haven, with a pool and a relaxation area. Breakfast was top-notch and our lunches and dinners were very good. There was even a gym with a decent range of equipment (although not very heavy free weights: max 70 kg barbells, max 18 kg dumbbells). Moreover, the hotel had an "it factor".

Protea Hotel Courtyard might not be entirely up to scratch with the best of the best - but it's got a charm that many premium hotels lack. If I ever return to Dar Es Salaam, either for business or pleasure, it's highly likely that I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel. I am glad to learn that we ''surprised'' you! Thank you for all positive comments, I have taken note about the weights in the gym. I will look into this and add a few more dumb bells and will try and get weights compatible with our current bench press set.

We look forward to host you again soon at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Group general Manager

Reviewed 20 July 2012

The hotel's driver picked me up from the airport and was informative on the ride speaking good English. The reception staff were very helpful advising me where and when to walk safely in the hotel environs, and one lady even brought me some nail polish remover from home to save me shopping for it. The food was delicious. I asked to change the initial room I was given and that was done promptly and with no fuss. So it was very unfortunate that on my last night at the hotel, there were noise disturbances. First there was the frog from a neighboring property and then there was a dripping or whirring noise in the ceiling that neither the night manager nor maintenance person could identify or rectify.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a wing that does not have the loud frog as a neighbor!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Janlee

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your feedback on the hotel facilities and services. I am delighted that the services offered were exceptional and the STAFF were helpful. I am also glad to learn that you enjoyed our food. We are blessed with brilliant staff who have been with us for a long time, but regular training keeps them on top of their game.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the last night's disturbances. The frogs are seasonal and we have spent heavily on fumigating our premises and our neighbours' to keep this under control. Obviously I need to look into this again for alternate solutions. The night manager reported to me about the noise, we blocked the room for a day and the maintenance staff checked the room along with the house keeping, but we couldn't hear anything. I will check on this again.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Have been staying at Protea Courtyard regularly since beginning of 2011 for stays of 6 weeks at a time and it continues to grow on me. The location is outstanding for work in CBD as there are never hassles with traffic getting to or from work. Let the other people be fooled and stay in the peninsula while you relax with a 5 minute drive to and from work. You will be on your second glass of wine while the rest are still sitting in their Land Cruisers cursing the traffic on their nightly pilgrimage to wazungu land. Besides the location, the Indian food is superb and of exceptional value. The small intimate garden area/pool surrounded by the rooms leaves one with a quaint boutique hotel feel, especially when coupled with the super friendly and efficient service. Overall excellent value.

Room Tip: If you like larger rooms, ask for larger rooms like 109, 209 and 309. 208 and 308 also have a nice...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Greg

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for being such a loyal GUEST and taking time to write your candid review on trip advisor. Reviews from regular, long staying GUESTS such as you are very important for us. We are what we we are today because of the constructive feedbacks we have received from our GUESTS and the improvements we have made thereafter.

I have shared your feedback with our TEAM and they were happy to learn that their efforts are being appreciated.

We look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I travelled as a young lady, all by myself, from South Africa to Dar Es Salaam for business and felt very safe and at home at the Protea Courtyard hotel. Very friendly staff and excellent service. They organised a reliable taxi driver to take me to the ferry port in a few minutes. The restaurant food is delicious, try the fish masala with naan bread!! The courtyard/pool area has such a relaxed, holiday atmosphere. I spent an afternoon there reading in the sun. The hotel is close to the CBD and ferry port (for a day trip to Zanzibar). The rooms are clean and equipped with a safe, DSTV, fan, wireless internet and air-con. The showers are wonderful! Loved the personal touch: a local newspaper is delivered to your door every morning and sweets with a "goodnight" card placed on your bed in the evening. For breakfast they had a wide variety to choose from, the fresh fruit juices and fruit were my favourite! Don't forget to ask for eggs and how you want them done. Oh, they also have a business centre you can use with computers and fast internet, they however did not tell me only the first 15min are free, thereafter you have to pay. I did not know, so spent 2 hours, but they did not charge me :). I can highly recommend this clean, safe, convenient hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear Alweri

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host you at our hotel recently. It makes me really happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the STAFF, as always, excelled in what they do - deliver unparalleled, genuine hospitality at all times.

I have taken note about the lack of communication regarding the usage of business centre computers. As of last week we have made it a policy that in-house GUESTS can use the business centre computers with internet FREE OF CHARGE, with no time limit! They only need to pay for print outs, photocopies, fax etc..

Once again, thank you for staying with us, we look forward to host you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

group General Manager

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Recently I have been travelling to Dar es salaam often for business, and I always stay at the Protea courtyard. I have also stayed at the Protea Oyseterbay, when the Courtyard was fully booked.
the pepper steak there alone is worth the visit.
I have to also say, the staff are very helpful, even when i was being difficult ( i am sometimes!).
I had forgotten to ask for the wi-fi password, and as soon as i called reception, almost instantaneously a ember of staff was sent to my room to make sure i got connected without any hitches.
The rooms are cosy, with good bedding/pillows etc. so good that i don't even need to talk about them.
my only complaint is that there were more man city fans in the sportsbar than Manchester united fans! however, i think they were liverpool fans in disguise!
for what this hotel is, it is very good

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel. Your feedback is much appreciated and I will share them with my TEAM. We don't consider anyone as a difficult customer, but as customers with different needs!

On your next visit we will arrange for some more Manchester United fans, perhaps I will join you to cheer them!

We look forward to host you again, have a nice week ahead.