Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #2 of 101 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had to stay here after President Obama decided to take over the Serena Hotel. I was very pleased I did. It is a very nice hotel indeed. professional staff on reception and a big cheerful guy called Arnold on the door(Please buy him a new shirt). He deserves it.
The rooms are beautiful, if a little small. The courtyard itself is very nice. The pool is more of a splash pool than a swimming pool but Ok. The breakfast has a wide selection. I wish the staff would be a bit more cheerful and energetic in the restaurant at breakfast time.
The only downside is the distance from town but the traffic is bad everywhere there.
I will stay here again on my next trip. Wifi is free and reasonably fast

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us & taking time to share your experience with the travel community. I am glad that you were satisfied with the facilities and services. Arnold is a great guy, will definitely pass your comments to him. We are in the process of changing our STAFF uniforms, you will see him with a new shirt on your next visit!. I will chat with the TEAM about the breakfast service, please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings. We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels-Dar es Salaam
gm@proteadar.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This, by far, is the best Protea Hotel I have ever stayed in! Service was outstanding as were the dinners. Rooms may be small but they are beautifully appointed and well serviced and the beds are comfortable.

What stood out most for me was that it was obvious that the people working at the hotel had a real commitment to their guests and looked happy to be at work no matter what their duties are.
Highly recommended and good value for money! A calm oasis!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Cherry B

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us and taking time to sharing your experience. I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I am immensely proud of our TEAM, they are the true pillars of our establishment. I will definitely pass your comments on to them. We look forward to host you again, karibu tena!

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a very good place to stay. A calm ambience. Food is very good. The highlight was Coconut water served in breakfast. Rooms are very clean. I will definitely choose this as my first preference when I travel next to Dar Es Salaam. Congradulations to the staff and management and keep it up.

N.Ramnathan
Chennai India

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Ramanathan

Good day, thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dar es Salaam. I am glad that we managed to exceed your expectations, which is what we aim for. I will pass your comments on to our TEAM. We look forward to host you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Protea Hotels-Dar es Salaam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed in the Protea Courtyard twice in the last month and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The hotel design is lovely - very cute and cosy and I liked the little touches like the laundry bags made from kitenge which reminded me I was in Tanzania and not just an anonymous business hotel anywhere in the world (which some Protea's can feel like). As with other Protea's I have stayed in the staff are exceptionally great - really eficient but also friendly. I thought the food was good and after 2 weeks of nyama choma elsewhere in Tanzania I really valued the vegetarian options in the menu's Indian section. the breakfasts were good and I loved the local options including the masala tea and the coconut water. The hotel was very clean and the beds very comfortable.

(Very) minor complaints include the shower basin filling up very quickly so I had to turn it on and off to allow it to drain (I love the powerful rain head, but the drainage should be able to cope with the water!), the sealant around the shower looking a bit old and in need of replacing, and some noise in the rooms from the courtyard at night, moslty in the rooms near the stairs (bring earplugs!)

Room Tip: Away from the stairs!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Dear Emma J

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay apart from a few issues which you mentioned. Since the hotel was built over a decade back using the materials ( predominantly wood) and technologies available at that time, proper sound proofing has not been incorporated. We are looking at ways to sort this issue out. I have noted your comments about the shower taking time to drain & the sealant looking a tad tired. We will be addressing both these issues towards Dec/Jan when the hotel is less busy. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to host you again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in Dar Es Salaam which I found via Agoda. It seems to be refurbished recently, the rooms are comfortable and the setting is cosy. Great value for money and I will defensively book this hotel again should I need to go back to Dar Es Salaam!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank tfrogk
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear tfrogk

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am delighted to hear that you found us of great value for money. We look forward to host you again soon.

Brazzaville, Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I am traveling a lot in Africa. I can say that this hotel is one of the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Very clean, secure, very friendly and efficient staff, every thing in the hotel works. Guests are treated with special attention that makes you feel at home.

Congratulations to the management and staff!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear MrPhilip_6

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am glad that we managed to ensure that you had a 100% satisfactory stay with us. I will pass the compliments on to our TEAM. We look forward to welcome you back again.

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The Courtyard is a wonderful hotel...beautiful (especially when they light the lanterns in the courtyard at night), calm, quiet and excellent service. The rooms are lovely with colorful Tiffany lamps. The wifi is excellent. The breakfast has lots of options...even fresh coconut water on some days!

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Corinne A

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review your experience. I am really glad to note that you had a very satisfying stay, we look forward to welcome you back again soon.