“nice spot in Dar Es Salaam”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #3 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
North Topsail Beach, North Carolina
“nice spot in Dar Es Salaam”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Nice hotel in Dar es Salaam - clean rooms and good service. You have to take taxis to get some places, but they are relatively inexpensive so that isn't a major problem. The staff was helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear GUEST

Jambo, thank you very much for staying with us and taking time to review your experience. I will pass the message to our TEAM & thank them for their great work. We look forward to host you again at the Protea Hotel Courtyard.

gm@proteadar.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed one night after a 2 week safari and Zanzibar trip as there were no convenient flights til the next day. We got into Dar at 1pm and  the pre-arranged hotel minibus took 45 minutes to get to the hotel because if the long waits at traffic lights. I had tried emailing but ended up phoning to arrange the transfers. Our  lunch of paella and byriani at their reataurant was so filling we didn't need dinner. We  sat around the pool for the rest of the afternoon.There are  in-room tea and coffee facilities and free wifi which worked well. The Protea Courtyard delivered breakfast to our room at 4am and the poached eggs were indeed soft. The maid bringing breakfast waited for a tip but unfortunately the wallet was in the bathroom with the husband. Although we had settled our bill the night before, reception asked for a dollar in the morning, which presumably was the tip for the breakfast maid. We thought that the breakfast cook deserved the tip. Trip to airport at 4:30am was much faster, about 20 minutes, as traffic lights did not seem to be a problem.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank craj11_11
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear craj11_11

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for staying with us post you safari/Zanzibar trips. It is indeed a great place to chill before taking your flight back home after hectic safaris. Thank you for all the positive comments, I will ensure that the maid gets a special tip from our tip box. But the $ that the reception asked for must have been the $1.5/- per person per night Tourism Development Levy which all hotels in Tanzania are expected to charge their GUESTS. I am sorry that they did not make this clear to you, something that I must train the Front Office STAFF on. We look forward to host you again on your next TZ visit.

Group general Manager
Valsad, India
Reviewed 3 October 2013

value for money is good. thought the pool is small the overall courtyard experience is great. the hotel has an old world charm to it and the food they serve is great. the internet also works fine. breakfast is great and they take care to ensure that it is a good experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Anand D

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I will pass this on to our TEAM, we look forward to host you again soon.

Islamabad, Islamabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Excellent and comfortable. Efficient and courteous staff. Food is really tasty and the place is kept neat and clean. Highly recommended if you are planning a visit to Dar. Also the place is very close to the ocean and you can easily go for a stroll in the evening to catch the strong wind. The place is near some of the famous streets where you can find shopping malls and other restaurants and to the government buildings.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the pool side so any would do :)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear GUEST

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel was clean, nice and quiet, great location near the city center,
Small nice swimming pool which is a plus for worm weather in Dar-es-salaam
Good breakfast and good services received thought the stay
Felt peaceful

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Mariana M

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and writing this motivating review. I am really glad that you were satisfied with the overall experience, we look forward to host you again at our hotel.

Haslemere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

I was travelling in Dar Es Salaam alone & was very happy I choose to stay here. Felt very safe & welcome. I arranged a taxi pick up through the hotel $25 it may be cheaper to go through a local taxi but I was happy to pay. The traffic in Dar is not good so takes around 35mins+ to get to hotel. Great room, clean & has free wifi. Nice buffet breakfast & good selection of foods/drinks for the rest of the day. I recommend trying some of the curry. Staff severing food friendly & as on my own nice to have a chat, all speak English. Small swimming pool. Hotel not really for lounging around the pool for a week more a few nights stop over or business people. Only problem I had was that the safe in my room broke with my passport inside which caused a tense few hours as my flight was due. Also double check times booked for taxis etc as I said pick up at 2:15 in the afternoon & there was confusion as they thought I had meant 2:15am! Wasn't a problem but just confirm what time you want.

• Stayed August 2013
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Jess T

Good day, thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dar es Salaam and posting this great review. I sincerely apologise regarding the safe issue. As you might ave noticed these are brand new and are the most widely used hotel safes. I have raised our concerns with the supplier. We look forward to host you again soon.

gm@protedar.com
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed at the Protea Hotel Courtyard for 5 nights in August 2013. I was scheduled to be at training workshops in Dar Es Salaam and do not know the city. The workshops were held at Protea Hotel Courtyard. Normally I do not stay at the workshop venue and can find something quiet and cheaper elsewhere in the city.

However as I do not know Dar Es Salaam I checked out Protea Hotel Courtyard on the internet versus alternatives and there prices were acceptable and it saved travelling around a city I did not know and meant I could also get more work done.

As I had particular requirements and difficulty with internet access from abroad I emailed the hotel and got a very fast, complete and polite reply and a good rate. The booking staff were really helpful.

I was met at the airport and immediately offered chilled water and newspaper by the friendly driver. Check in staff great and very friendly. They would not even let me carry my bag because they thought I was an "old man".

For the workshop venue and lunches, breaks and all the support to the workshop, very good.

Rooms pleasant and clean, with reliable internet and the one time I had internet connection problem I had assistance within 5 minutes.

Very nice buffet breakfast and lunches. Dinner menu pleasant and good value, but could improve a little, but this is not a 5 star hotel so no complaints, and indeed compliments.

Staff are so polite and also friendly and helpful, always a smile always glad to help.

I had a slightly late checkout as my departure flight was late afternoon and I needed to get work done the day following the workshop. I was told not to worry about about late check out charge as it was OK, arranged in advance and with airport transport.

The hotel is not really central I am told but I was not here as a tourist. It has very nice facilities, courtyard and garden. The courtyard and outside tables are relaxing. The downstairs rooms a little dim but still pleasant, roomy, clean and no complaint.

A very pleasant experience. I hope I can come back to Tanzania and if I do will bring my wife and stay at Protea Hotel Courtyard.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Chris N

Good day, thank you for staying with us recently during your residential seminar and posting this detailed review. I am extremely glad that STAFF, across the hotel, took great care of you. I am also delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the conference as well. Please do let me know on your thoughts regarding the dinner menu. I will pass your review & compliments to the TEAM, I am sure they will appreciate the same. We look forward to host you and your wife at our hotel in the future.