“A quiet and comfortable refuge”

Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Protea Courtyard Hotel in Dar is Salaam is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel staff's care, friendliness, and attention began as soon as I arrived at Dar es Salaam's airport at eight in the morning after flying for about 20 hours from the Philippines. Thom Haule, a driver from the Protea, met me at the airport, and patiently waited while I exchanged currency and bought a sim card for my phone. When we reached the hotel one of the staff escorted me to the hotel's dining room, where a large and varied buffet breakfast was available. My room was prepared while I ate breakfast, looking out at the hotel's plant-filled courtyard and swimming pool. When I went to my room there was a plate of fruit and a candy bar waiting for me, along with a large bottle of water, which was replaced every day.
I can't say enough good things about the Protea. The rooms are kept meticulously clean, and the hotel is a quiet refuge to return to at the end of a day. There's free wifi, which worked fairly reliably; a ceiling fan and air conditioning made the room comfortable even during Tanzania's summer. When I returned to the U.S. and stayed at a hotel before finally returning home, i found myself wishing that my American hotel had the same level of service (and excellent breakfast!) as the Protea Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Tim F

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed everything about our hotel right from the airport pick up till the last breakfast you had before checking out. I will pass your comments to the TEAM, especially Tom, our driver. Comprehensive reviews such as yours are very important for us and we sincerely appreciate your generous compliments which are of significant motivational value to our great TEAM. We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar

Reviewed 25 March 2014

we stayed there 5 nights on a work-related trip. All services went without a hitch, the staff - from reception to house keeping are very helpful and professional. I was tremendously assisted with directions to various locations of interest around Dar es salaam

1  Thank Andrew O
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the STAFF ensured your comfort. I will pass the compliments to them, they will be delighted to hear that their efforts have been noticed and appreciated.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Very lovely hotel with huge clean rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, quiet interior, and very good food.
The courtyard and terrace are very tranquil and look out onto the pool and garden, lovely for having a drink in the evenings.
Air conditioning is available in the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this great review. I am glad that we managed to score 100%, we look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Loved this hotel, which feels like an oasis from the busy Dar es Salaam. You feel like you're staying in a treehouse. Would love to stay here again.

PROs:
- beautiful hotel, with beautiful, clean rooms. Lovely wooden 4 poster bed, stained glass lighting, overall cozy, warm atmosphere. Beds are so comfortable.
- Breakfast is amazing with lots of choices, including fresh fruits, teas, cooked foods etc. It's almost like brunch.
- Restaurant has many choices and prices are good
- desk in rooms to work on are big, though chairs could be more "office" like for working
- big business centre for printing, internet etc

CONs:
- would be nice to have international plugs at desk
- wifi poor/non-existent in some rooms (like mine) although in other rooms (my colleagues) it was good enough to even talk on skype.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dpurpleorange
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this detail review. Thank you for listing the pros and cons, really useful for both the management & future GUESTS. I will definitely look into why the WiFi was not working in your room. As you rightly pointed out, we have very stable complimentary internet connectivity almost all over the hotel. We provide two international multi plugs at the working desk in almost all our rooms. You might have been given a room where this was not provided at the time of renovation. We are working on having them fixed in these rooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for just one night before going on safari. The room was very comfortable and very quiet, but we would have appreciated mosquito screens on the windows. The hotel is in a lovely courtyard setting, and sitting in the courtyard in the evening having a quiet drink was very relaxing. The food was good, the service was good and the atmosphere was good. There's not a huge amount to do in the area, but it's perfect just for a stop-over. Very happy to recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SaraE29

Dear SaraE29

jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am glad to hear that you had a fantastic experience with us and you were satisfied with the food, service and facilities. Thank you for the suggestion regarding mosquito nets for windows, we will look into it. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

first off-- i need to really apologize for how tardy this review is-- we stayed 2/12-2/14 and i am only just now getting to write this-- given the great lengths the hotel staff and management went to on my behalf--well, i am a bit embarrassed.....and this is a long review-- so apologies again.
On check in the lovely young woman (Fatima...--if i have this spelling wrong or mis remember i hope you will please forgive me) arranged for a better rate and also a late check out for one room as our flight didn't leave until quite late in the day. the hotel was lovely-- the courtyard pool area is lush and inviting. we were tired from a long ride from Pangani and it was late.....The restaurant staff made us feel so welcome and the food was very good (a lot of great Indian choices! ) -- we wanted to go to Zanzibar the next day and the desk arranged tickets for us -- so after a very comfortable night off we went....that is where our story gets more interesting.... on leaving zanzibar i realized i had left my camera behind at a restaurant-- its a nice camera.....and new....with a new lens... and a memory card FULL of pictures of our Kilimanjaro climb, safari and everything else (in fact the whole group we had been with on Kilimanjaro were waiting for these pictures ) i was extremely bummed on the ferry back-- and figured i would no see this camera again (the card was the only thing that mattered at that point......but still) We got back to the hotel and i figured i would try to call the place we were at in Zanzibar (we were there for a drink, it was on the water, we were outside on the street, the camera was left on the back of a chair...
i COULD NOT remember the name of the place we were at! - so ENTER trip advisor.....i searched the restaurant reviews -- found the place .. found their number...called ...and ..... i speak no sawhili and they spoke somewhat limited english......I THINK they have the camera ???(in zanzibar....and i leave the next day) --so off to the front desk where the wonderful Fatima (oh gosh i hope that is correct!) calls the cafe and confirms they have my camera . I go back to my room and then while i am thinking about how i am going to get back there and pick it up and all .....she calls and says i should come down and speak to the manager....the manager, Mr Antony is just a lovely man. seriously-- if all hotels were run by this person i would stay in a hotel all the time.....he is kind hearted (and works with a charity i know to help them offset costs). the protea group has a place in Zanibar and he called to get someone there to contact the place and get my camera and place it with their mail bag that would be delivered via air the next day....and also helped me provide a tip for the wonderful waiter who turned the camera in. that evening we ae at the restaurant and learn that our dinner was comped by Mr Antony-- !!! The next day at lunch mr antony walks into the dining room..with my camera....... I have never had an experience like this at any other place -- the levee of customer service -- of genuine concern and caring , of going the extra mile.....it was extraordinary........ OH! and Arnold ! a bellman (i think?) who did such an awesome job of helping me pack up a truly unpackable sculpture so that it would get home ok...and it did.....
Mr Antony, you have my undying gratitude and you run a wonderful operation..... I have never been so well taken care of...... i am sure you can spend a lot more money and have a bit more flash- but this place is the real deal with service and comfort..... you WILL NOT go wrong staying here.....

Room Tip: top floor (3rd i think?) is really nice....
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank spinny

Dear spinny

Jambo from Your beloved Tanzania and Protea Hotel Courtyard! Thank you for choosing our hotel for your pre and post kili climb, safaris & Zanzibar trip and taking time to write this detailed, glowing review. I have shared this with our TEAM ( especially Fatima and Arnold) and needless to say, they were all happy to hear that those little things they do for our GUESTS - which they consider as part of their jobs - get noticed and are appreciated so much. I think you gave us far too much credit for what we did, you are far too kind. I am humbled and grateful for your compliments and they are of great motivational value for me!

We look forward to host you again soon, have a great week ahead.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

From outside doesn't really look great but wait until your first step inside!
Cool and very clean rooms and generally a very relaxing atmosphere!
Great conference facilities as well.
I enjoyed every bit of my stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Francis M
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Francis M

Jambo, thank you for staying with us and writing this great review. I am glad to learn that you had a fantastic stay with us, we look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar/Zanzibar